Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #21
alan

Default Re: I you want to have fun driving, don't let fear stop you.

carry your V8 members book and drive it. We drive our old cars/trucks and if something happens to one of them we just add another story to the list.
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #22
banjoQ

Default Re: If you want to have fun driving, don't let fear stop you.

Prof.-Once more, I have to say that I agree with you. These cars and trucks were quite good in their day. Getting reliable service out of these vehicles was the goal and I think the Ford Motor Co. succeeded. My truck sat for 50 yrs. in a shed in S.F., forgotten. I dragged it out and rebuilt the carb, threw in a battery and it fired up. It ran on 5 cylinders and smoked badly, but it ran. I don't think I will be around long enough to see anyone do that with a Honda. Like you, I want to get out and travel around in my truck. I don't travel anywhere near the distance you do but I manage to get out a few times a week. Runs up the Coast Highway to S.F. are good fun. I have no problem in the City with the old boy, steady as he is. I make it a practice to carry tools, spares and my AAA card. Never had to use them on the road yet. The garage is a totally different story. I for one enjoy your travel photo- journals and look forward to the next.
banjoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #23
Sal

Get out and drive your car that's what it was made for! Don't worry about what some one else might say. You only have one go at life enjoy it.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #24
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. There were those who told me I was nuts(maybe so) when I drove my '50 to St George, Ut and I said then that the worst thing it could do was leave me setting in the desert. Well, it didn't, it left me setting in Abilene, Ks ...
I drove my 52 to southeastern KY last September. I told a friend who drove his '52 from the east coast to Chicago back in the '70's that I was worried about getting stuck in the middle of the panhandle. He said, who cares? The advantage of being "mature" now is we can just pull out the plastic and make those kinds of problems go away!

Your travels have been an inspiration, Ol Henry! Keep em coming!
Old 03-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #25
Talkwrench

don't let fear stop you..

Drive on brother !

I look forward to another adventure, and pictures...
Old 03-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #26
Vic Piano

Keep on keepin' on Prof. Like you, I love to drive our flatheads and other vintage vehicles.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #27
Bruce in southern OH

Great comments, Drive On!!!!!
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:24 PM   #28
tiquer

I for one have always enjoyed reading about your travels . If our old fords are reliable drivers or not is not the issue here. The issue is who gave anyone the right to approve or disapprove of how where or when you drive your own car.
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:39 PM   #29
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
...I hoped that it has become quite obvious from my many experiences driving Old Henry exactly like hundreds of thousands of people did in the decades after he was made: These cars were not made very well compared to modern cars. They only had a 90 day warranty! So, things wore out and broke a lot more often than they do on modern cars. The point that I hope has been obvious is that it didn't matter then and it doesn't matter now. Even though these old cars were not made to be perfect for very long, they were, in fact, made to be very serviceable and reliable without being perfect. And, even now, when no one has to drive them on a daily basis nor long distances like they used to, if they really want to, like I do, they are just as serviceable now, with all of their imperfections, as they were 50-60 years ago. One needn't fear to get out and really have fun in these old cars as much as they want to. They'll get you there and back. This one I drive did when I drove it back in the 60's and it still does now.

Don't worry. Be happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber Mcgee View Post
I'm with you 100% . We are a country of wimps today. People set out in wagons 150 years ago with no help around for days or weeks and we are afraid to leave the house without our cell phones. And besides that if you never drive your car and protect it from every little speck of dirt ,when you die it will probably end up on Pawn Stars any way as your kids sell it for a tenth of what its worth. I say enjoy it and who cares what anyone else says.
Way to go both of you!!! And all of you that drive their cars with a smile on your faces, yes way to go!!
Old 03-09-2014, 11:52 PM   #30
T Scott

You know, when you are ninety years old and the only possessions you can manage to deal with are in a box sitting on the dresser (including your teeth) it will become apparent that the most important thing left for you is your memories. With the exception of family, what could be a better addition to a collection of memories than travels in an old Ford.

So, drive it and don't worry about what's around the corner. Good or bad it will be interesting!
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #31
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
A perfect car sitting in the garage is perfectly useless!
Quote:
I certainly do not want to disparage any that find it more fun to just tinker on their cars in the garage and admire them there and in car shows and parades, even if they transport them on a trailer. We each have fun in our own way.*

*https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129629
I know the joy of having a perfect car that is not driven. Here is the one and only picture taken of many of my model cars I built in elementary and junior high school. I got great joy from building them, painting them, wiring them, plumbing them, upholstering them and creating displays for them. We actually had "car shows" for such at the junior high school (had a club and school class that built and showed them). Once they were done, no one touched them (upon penalty of death). I didn't play with them out in the sand pile. I still loved them. Just seeing this picture of them brings back many fond memories of building and showing them (they're long gone now). Some feel the same way about their full size cars. If that's their joy, more power too them. Such source of happiness should not be condemned nor disparaged in any way.

Last edited by Old Henry; 03-10-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #32
Rollingmenace

Henry..
I wouldn't let opinions of others influence you in a negitive way.. Do what makes you happy.. Everyone is entitled to there opinion that's what great about this country is for now that still rings true.. What you take from people's opinions is up to you... I for one admire your willingness to drive that old iron wherever the roads paved or not take you... I myself would like to be to a point on my 51 where I can do the same.. For now it's just drive it a little find a flaw and fix or improve on it... I'm hoping by end of summer my confidence in the car will allow me to take it wherever I want.. Would love to take a trip out to Utah in it next year and visit friends... Just a few weeks ago there was a little meetup for breakfast at a donut shop here mostly hamb guys.... The weather was 20-30 deg 2-3 inches of snow and more falling.... That didn't stop me I warmed the ole 51 up and away I went.. At the donut shop the car guys all brought there rides at least the ones who could get them started so they understand... Mine was the nicest of the group that day and I got nothing but comments from other patrons of the place.. " why would u bring that nice car out in the weather" my response was if that is the worst this car has seen in 63 years I'd be crazy to but I can assure you it isn't... A couple miles of cold weather and a snowy but paved road was probably a treat... Needless to say I drive it as much as I can through whatever conditions are In Front of me...
Just remember everyone has there own opinions.. And in the end the only one it should matter to is the guy looking back at you in the mirror in the morning...
I personally couldn't see the fun in looking at my stuff in the garage and only enjoying it a mile or two in perfect weather once or twice a year.. But to each there own .. I don't like them but even the kids now days with there Honda whatnots there doing what makes em happy and to that I give it to them...
Anyhow ride on buddy and drive that sucker till the wheels fall off..
If you ever get out to the front range here in Colorado look me up... I know I'll be making my rounds out that way next year.... Zach
Rollingmenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:51 PM   #33
phat rat

Well my cpe is a hot rod not a restoration. But if I couldn't drive it and have fun I would consider it a waste of money. I've driven it to Ca. twice as far east as Prince Edward Island, three times to Fla. One trip was 8,000 mi in 4 weeks. Only once did I have a problem, it was the control module in the HEI dizzy. I had it fixed within an hour as a passerby gave me a ride into town where I bought the part and took me back. Some questions for those who won't drive their car anywhere unless the car can always be in sight. Is the car insured? Is it more valuable monetarily than your daily driver? If by chance you don't have it insured for full value than don't you think that's a bit foolish
phat rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #34
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiquer View Post
I for one have always enjoyed reading about your travels . If our old fords are reliable drivers or not is not the issue here. The issue is who gave anyone the right to approve or disapprove of how where or when you drive your own car.
True. Or how ugly you make it in some fools opinion!

Epic thread.

Cecil, I am stunned by the photo of your '50 on the trailer. That's a four-year old photo and I bet money it will be a very long while before it's up on a trailer again.

Prof. Henry, Love the models. I miss the glue on my fingers, parts trees, decals, and the little bottles of Testor's paint! Learnt to read the directions after a few messed up cars! You were working on your photo composition skills way back then!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (154.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg capture2.jpg (94.0 KB, 11 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:47 PM   #35
4t8v8

Quote:
I know I've had a lot of eyes rolled and even some snide remarks and private chuckles behind my back (yes, and even in my face) about how I drive my car when it is so rarely in perfect condition. (Even have someone who immediately votes any thread I start terrible [one star]. Doesn't matter what the subject or content is.)

Something I've been quite hesitant to say because I hoped that it has become quite obvious from my many experiences driving Old Henry exactly like hundreds of thousands of people did in the decades after he was made: These cars were not made very well compared to modern cars. They only had a 90 day warranty! So, things wore out and broke a lot more often than they do on modern cars. The point that I hope has been obvious is that it didn't matter then and it doesn't matter now. Even though these old cars were not made to be perfect for very long, they were, in fact, made to be very serviceable and reliable without being perfect. And, even now, when no one has to drive them on a daily basis nor long distances like they used to, if they really want to, like I do, they are just as serviceable now, with all of their imperfections, as they were 50-60 years ago. One needn't fear to get out and really have fun in these old cars as much as they want to. They'll get you there and back. This one I drive did when I drove it back in the 60's and it still does now.

Don't worry. Be happy.
Totally agree Old Henry. As far as how "perfect" new cars are now made I'll bet there are a lot of Government Motors owners who might disagree. My '48 was never recalled because a faulty key switch was killing people. In fact it was never recalled and is still going strong at the age of 66.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #36
jim1932

I get tempted with the new stuff, but them common sense kicks in. my 32 generate about 50 horsepower and drags the car where I want to go. The anniversary Mustang puts out 420 horsepower.... I still wouldn't be able to go over 40 on the way to work......

The old stuff lasts because it is simple and a little issue like lower octane gas doesn't make it want to detonate
Old 06-19-2014, 08:38 AM   #37
Barry-ct

Well said, Henry! I feel the same way. Drive it and enjoy it. Nothing worse for a car or truck is to sit. When I get my truck done, I will drive it as much as I can and enjoy it. I love seeing your travels in your car. I get to see places I may never see in your pics. I wouldn't give the remarks you get a second thought, perhaps they're jealous or just want to put a negative spin on it. Too bad for them if they don't want to enjoy life and their car. I say if your healthy enough to do it, go for it!

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #38
PeterC

I agree with the concept for sure but reality is where you drive! I recently had an engine problem on a nice parkway in Connecticut (Merritt Parkway) two lane each direction built in the 30's with original speeds of 45-50mph - now a landmark status parkway - I lost power and was forced to squeeze to the guard rail on thin grass strip - no room to exit the drivers door with 12 inches on the passnger side to the rail - cars wizzing by at 70 mph+ with each causing the Coupe to rock from their wind wake! Worse ... the Coupe attracted their focus and they were moving toward the car - not away! Called 911 for a state tropper to protect the car by blocking the lane until a flatbed came 60 minutes later ... talk about nail biting time - I was safe on the other side of the guard rail but the Coupe was hanging out there for sure - all safe in the end - but the point is ... in uban areas you are indeed at risk - yes I had fear for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Henry, I have to agree with you on this, but with one caveat:
Back in the day when our V8's were often Found On Road Dead, no matter where you broke down, there were competent mechanics and shops with inventories of spare Ford parts wherever you turned.

Now, of course, if you go forth blindly into the wilderness unprepared and without fear, ... You finish this thought.

That said, I remember my scrounging for an empty beer can to scoop snow into my steaming radiator as a kid. No brains, no money, no fear.
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #39
D. Jones

I'll guess that most of those that disparage those of us that like to drive our cars everywhere are those that restore their vehicle with their check book, not with their own hands. They're also most likely to be the street rod type, you know no tool box in the trunk just a can of wax.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #40
Robert Dip

PeterC...boy, do I hear you.....your newly completed '35 3W.....being in fear from being hit by the latest trend of drivers....'up-your' is their attitude and could not even spell the word 'Respect'. The new laws that are out states that in such circumstances motorists are suppose to move over to the other lane to prevent any misfortunes by hitting a person or car....but, that's going to take forever for the idiots to 'sink-in'. On the other note, many moons ago, back in the early 60's, we DROVE our old Fords....no choice, that's all we had. And, being young, we drove the living sh... out of them. One summer, ok..March to December, we put on 30,000 miles on a '35 Humpback 2dr sedan. It was my buddy's car that I sold him for $150., had an old 59AB that was originally stuffed under a bench in my parents garage, original running gear, 15" bias ply tires, Naugahyde white & blue interior and a '56 Merc steering wheel and '48 hydraulic brakes. Condition...overall...scary. pump the brakes 2-3 times before they grabbed, king-pins that I would rather not mention, gas tank that capped out and we had a make-due tank in the back seat area...shackles so worn that they eventually gave out in the front....stuck 110 miles out in the 'boonies', wrapped a chain around the spring and axle to get home.....the list goes on...I better stop...before I give myself a heart attack just thinking about it. BUT...all in all, this car got us everywhere, and we had absolutely no thought or fear about it. ( ok...young & stupid ) I have never forgotten my youth, and I remind myself of this every time I take one of my 'Ole Ford' out....just go and if something does happen, we'll manage....no computers to fight with. So guys & gals, have Faith...they are so much more reliable than you can imagine. Robert
Robert Dip is offline   Reply With Quote