Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Late V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Drop spindles for a 1956 Ford

I have both a 56 Victoria and a 56 Sedan Delivery that have had the front springs cut to drop the front end. I would prefer to use drop spindles for better handeling etc. but I can't seem to find them. Anyone got a source or an idea of how to best handle this situation?

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Drop spindles for a 1956 Ford

claude...there are several ways to acomplish this...www.fatmanfab.com sells the dropped spindles you want..also [email protected] has shorter springs up to 3"...these are not the same as cut coils (which we all used to do), talk to Jim about them..then in addition you can buy (or fabricate) a 1" - 2" spacer to go between your lower A-arm and the spring pocket. When I lived in Williston, ND a friend of mine had a very nice 56 Victoria really low..after coming out of the movies one night we decided the car wasn't low enough...sooo we went to the gas station where we hung out (yeah, this was a long time ago-1961) and proceded to cut the coils out!!..we rode around all nite on the rubber bumpers (jarred our teeth, but we were cool)..the next day he went out to the wrecking yard and got a new set of springs to put back in..

On my car (current) a 54 Merc, I am using a 3/4" dropped spindle(disk brake set-up), 2" lower springs, and that spacer on the lower A-arm I told you about for a drop of 3-3/4"...I purchased all my hardware from a outfit in North Dakota that specializes in 50's Fords and Mercs called Gearheads Kruiser Products (701)223-2289..ask for Frank...hope this helps

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

I want to lower my 1954 sunliner too. I also

have cut springs, used Fatman spindles on my

1950 Merc. but am considering air-bags. I also am thinking of disc brakes. One question

I have is what spindles will work and why

bother if all you get is a 3/4 inch drop ???

Spacers on the lower a- arm will give a 1 inch drop and cutting one coil should give

1 1/2 to 2 inches. Any and all these will

require cutting the rubber snubber in half..

Any suggestions by all

welcomed......Jack

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

Jack....the spindles I'm using are for a disk brake conversion, not just for lowering...it would have been nice if they came with a 3" drop too...but they don't,

I'm using a 2" shorter spring w/1" spacer for a total of 3-3/4" (I hope)...as for the air bags (in your case) I wouldn't..I don't have personal experience in this matter, but from what I've read and observed they (air bag equipted cars) don't handle as well as conventionaly (geez thats a long word)suspended cars..besides don't you want a car that looks cool all the time instead of broken at the fairgrounds??....I love cars...and they look better lowered, but I don't like this look of putting the bumpers and rockers on the ground and shoving the tires up the wheelwells....but thats just me

I'll keep you up to date on how my hardware

works out...I'm also up-grading the steering

and replacing the front sway bar with a

1-1/8" bar...I want this car to ride, handle, and look cool..