Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2016, 05:28 PM   #1
corvette8n

Default What jack,tools came with 46-48 cars?

What tools, jack came with 46-48 cars?, were additional tools available options from dealer?. Was there also a grease gun?
corvette8n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #2
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: What jack,tools came with 46-48 cars?

I can tell you about the probably irrelevant top end...
My '48 was purchased new by my Father. It was an export car built at Edgewater, as delivery was to my Father's diplomatic post in Nanking, China. Export cars got the full load of tools like earlier Fords from the pre-1936 period:
Grease gun, two open ends, head/plug wrench, tire iron/hub cap tool, adjustable wrench, starting crank and extension, jack. The jack was tossed very early on after collapsing in use and replaced with an aftermarket scissors one. My Father refused to even describe the original, probably for fear that I would look for one and it would kill me. The Chinese probably still have it...
There was a tire pump, which I think export kit called for, but I think the one in the car was probably also a replacement for a deceased original.
Crank start, grease gun, and tire pump at least ceased to be standard on cars sold for USA market long before this.
The remaining wrenches are easy to research, and two versions of jack have been discussed and pictured on here recently.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:09 PM   #3
Ian NZ

Here are some photos of the original jack and tyre pumps supplied for 1946 -48 Ford cars.
As Bruce says there was a hand tire pump supplied to the export Canadian cars, I do not know, much about it, but I would like to obtain one or any information on them,and I now have quite a few of the other tools for the tool kit for my 47. Apparently the original bumper jacks are hard to find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford foot operated tyre pump.jpg (36.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 1946-48 Ford V8 tire pump.jpg (36.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 Ford V8 jack.jpg (29.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 1947 Ford V8 Toolkit.jpg (57.5 KB, 74 views)
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #4
RalphM

I've got one of the tool kits around here somewhere, if I find it I'll post a picture.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:36 AM   #5
corvette8n

Thanks for the pics Ian, those hand tools look a lot like the ones I have collected for my 48' Ford 8N.
corvette8n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:35 AM   #6
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

On the tire pumps '46-8...pretty sure they would have been supplied for export cars. As I said, the one in my car is almost certainly wrong...
The Orange parts book (1949 cumulation of early Ford parts) shows the 51A one illustrated above as the universal replacement for '28-48. I would bet that this, though, was inserted into the list here after production. That 51A was promoted as an accessory when the '46-8's were new, an entirely different thing than the tool kit tools. I suspect the one supplied if the car was supposed to have an OEM pump (export cars) it probably would have been the 1935-6 type, a normal vertical pump a tad bigger in diameter than the '32-4. Just a feeling, I don't have any documentation!
The 51A pump would have been fairly expensive in comparison to the usual vertical hand pump, and was based on a common aftermarket pump sold for many years...most non-Ford ones are identical to that but red.
Both the 51A pump and the bottled-gas inflator/fire extinguisher shown up above were '46-8 period accessories.
Dates for the jack shown above were posted here recently. It was replaced by '49 Ford jack...before the '49 cars were released.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:23 AM   #7
Ken/Alabama

Maybe this will help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img109.jpg (50.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg img110.jpg (48.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg img111.jpg (43.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg img112.jpg (44.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg img113.jpg (40.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg img114.jpg (36.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg img115.jpg (51.3 KB, 36 views)
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:07 PM   #8
Ian NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
On the tire pumps '46-8...pretty sure they would have been supplied for export cars. As I said, the one in my car is almost certainly wrong...
The Orange parts book (1949 cumulation of early Ford parts) shows the 51A one illustrated above as the universal replacement for '28-48. I would bet that this, though, was inserted into the list here after production. That 51A was promoted as an accessory when the '46-8's were new, an entirely different thing than the tool kit tools. I suspect the one supplied if the car was supposed to have an OEM pump (export cars) it probably would have been the 1935-6 type, a normal vertical pump a tad bigger in diameter than the '32-4. Just a feeling, I don't have any documentation!
The 51A pump would have been fairly expensive in comparison to the usual vertical hand pump, and was based on a common aftermarket pump sold for many years...most non-Ford ones are identical to that but red.
Both the 51A pump and the bottled-gas inflator/fire extinguisher shown up above were '46-8 period accessories.
Dates for the jack shown above were posted here recently. It was replaced by '49 Ford jack...before the '49 cars were released.
The 48-17052B hand pump which is the same number as the foot pump is mentioned in the Canadian vehicles list but this could only apply to Canadian Export vehicles as they had a different tool kit, as the Canadian vehicles did not issue the 51A 17005-B large tool pouch only the B-17005A Model A style I was told this by Lindley Stacey, the Ford V8 Tool guy.
I know of person who owns a 1947 Mercury which has an original tool kit as his father used to own the car and he has an original hand pump that came with the car and stamped on the base of the pump is -'Automotive Hardware L.T.D. Made in Canada'
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:19 PM   #9
frederic

Ken thanks for the information. I have looking for correct jack for station wagon. Car jack is too long to fit into storage compartment under center seat. I always thought they just might cut off a passenger jack. Now I just have to find one or two.

Frederic
frederic is offline   Reply With Quote