Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
ktgarcia

Question Front spring shackle and perch bolts

When taking apart my 39 Ford Pickup front end, the spring and axle shackle had rubber bushings with steel bolts that fit inside the rubber, and bolt up with the shackle bar. Looking at my Ford book, it appears that the correct insert for the spring and axle housing is a steel shackle pin (part number 5464). Is the rubber bushing something that someone thought was a better idea and should I be getting the shackle pin that has the steel bushing (5464) and replace them? Also, the perch bolts seem to be very solid and do not move. Can I just take the wishbone and axle to get blasted and coated intact without trying to replace the perch bolts? The holes for the the shocks look good to me. Thanks for any additional advice anyone has.
ktgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
kiwitony

Default Re: Front spring shackle and perch bolts

Hi the original shackle bushes were a steel sleeve thin rubber bush and then the pin,it sounds like yours have been replaced with later rubber bushes.Both types are available and neither is much good,there are greasable ones about that will last forever if you can find a set.The front perch bolts are a reall s!!!t to get out, mine took 30 tons in a press with lots of heat to get them out and very nearly destroyed them.The coaters should be able to do it in one piece, the current needs to go through both pieces as they earth the part and charge the spray but I reckon all the rust in the joint will make a contact.New old stock perch bolts are hard to find. Cheers Tony.
kiwitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:57 AM   #3
flatheadfan

ktgarcia-

I have the rubber bushings in the front spring of my '35. I was rather hesitant about installing them except they were in an "official" Ford box and had printed on the side that they were an "authorized replacement" for the steel inserts. Well, I needed something quick so I installed them. That was more than 20 years ago and they have performed flawlessly without any undo vibrations, swaying or front end wear. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. A great replacement that simplifies spring installation!

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
jerry grayson

It is not necessary to remove the perch bolts. You are asking for lots of woe if you try to remove them.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
ktgarcia

I just wanted to provide an update. I had heated the axle last week a little bit but not cherry red. I had gone out and tapped on the bolt with the nut attached periodically and was not having any luck. I decided that I would go out today and do my very best to break it free and get it out. I turned the wishbone over and tapped on the top of the bolt to see if it would turn just slightly as I had about 1/16 on an inch to play with. It appeared that I was able to get it to move ever so slightly which allowed for me to spray more penetrating oil down the hole. I tapped it hoping for some free up. I finally thought I was getting oil down the entire bolt through the axle and turned it over to hit the nut again. Lo and behold, it finally moved ever so slightly. It moved far enough to get above the square base. I then was able to get a bar in the shock hole and move it around slightly. Turned it over again and hit the bolt again. Turned it over one more time and was able to turn the bolt quite a bit more in the axle. I turned it over and was able to drive the bolt out. Patience was probably the best thing I did with periodically hitting the nut with a non steel hammer. Regardless, it is now out and I can go get it blasted and coated and start the reassembly. The one side came out with no difficulty, so I assume it had been replaced at some other time.

A quick question though. On reassembly, does one put any lubricant on the perch bolts?
Thanks.
ktgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktgarcia View Post
A quick question though. On reassembly, does one put any lubricant on the perch bolts?
I'm smearing Never Seez on the threads and shanks of the perch bolts when I reassemble.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
Kahuna

Once cleaned, I coat them with water proof grease before installation
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote