Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
BobbyG

Default Dash Cluster Q's

Hi guys - spent today tidying up the wiring which is in a terrible mess.

Previous owner has utilised a bit of old tat from his shed to mount the ign switch - starter button and light switch.

I intend to improve on this as well as make the wiring safe.

Any suggestions on where/how better I can mount these 3 parts oh & where would they have been originally please ???

Bob
BobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Dash Cluster Q's

Ignition switch is in the dash panel, mid-left side. Starter rod is on the floor, at least here in the Colonies. Might be different on RHD. Light switch should be in the middle of your steering wheel. What is "tat"?

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
BobbyG

Tat is worthless stuff - scrap - rubbish.

Mine is a LHD from USA but is not as it should be the Previous owner has changed a lot of stuff - a lot.

So if someone adds a switch for something ---say an electric gas pump -- where would you mount it ? Problem I am having is working round not screwing/drilling into the dash.

Bob
Old 11-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Bob C

Maybe ask on the HAMB, this site is for restored cars.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
ctlikon0712

BobbyG, the original ignition was a Pop out type switch that had armored cable from the switch to the distributor for anti-theft purposes. The Starter was activated with a rod straight down to the motor on the floor above the gas pedal. So you would turn on the key and then hit the rod to crank it over. The lights were on a switch at the center of the steering wheel integral with the horn button. Sounds like much was changed with your car, and its Flathead V8, I like that you are trying to make it more period correct. Good Luck
Old 11-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
BobbyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Maybe ask on the HAMB, this site is for restored cars.

Bob
Wow ! Good to feel welcome - thanks

Yes I appreciate that BUT I am asking where these things were mounted ORIGINALLY.

If I wanted to know how best to drop a SBC in or chop the top I could understand your reply- and the HAMB would be the best place to ask.

I am doing the best I can with what I have to hand & trying to keep an iconic American vehicle on the road in the Uk
Old 11-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
BobbyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlikon0712 View Post
BobbyG, the original ignition was a Pop out type switch that had armored cable from the switch to the distributor for anti-theft purposes. The Starter was activated with a rod straight down to the motor on the floor above the gas pedal. So you would turn on the key and then hit the rod to crank it over. The lights were on a switch at the center of the steering wheel integral with the horn button. Sounds like much was changed with your car, and its Flathead V8, I like that you are trying to make it more period correct. Good Luck
Thanks Craig - very informative - it is so hard to get that kind of detail over here most 84 year old cars have had modifications carried out through their lives and we do not have that many unmodified versions to refer to - and for someone like myself to try and find what they should be like originally sites like this ( and not the HAMB ) are invaluable.

Bob
Old 11-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
oldmanandakid

When I found my "A" someone had drilled the dash for a starter button and bolted a solenoid to the starter in place of the foot activated mechanical system. Got all of my parts from Bert's in Denver, Colorado modelastore.com.
oldmanandakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
dave in australia

Further to the light switch, the contacts for the lights are mounted at the bottom of the steering column, this includes the contacts for the horn. There is a tube that runs up the middle of the steering shaft, with the horn button in the centre, and a bezel and lever that gets turned to turn the lights off/low/high. Original fit wiring looms are available, and already have the required terminals fitted. On my Tudor, the previous owner converted it to 12V, but really stuffed the wiring up. I ended up making a small panel which picks up the tank-cowl bolts inside the engine bay, and mounting several relays. On original RHD cars, the light switch contacts sit directly under the carb, which to me, could be a fire hazard if the carb floods.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Since you have a V8, you may need to use a starter button, rather than the original foot push button. I would make a bracket that clamps to the steering column and mount any non-original switches or guages there. I also don't like to drill holes, weld, grind, or bend original metal.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Your instrument panel should look like this. Pictured is a simple off-on switch I am using until I reinstall the original popout switch. With your V8 you can also use the same switch as I have in this picture. You should be able to use a stock wiring harness for the lights, and you can use the light switch at the bottom of the stock steering column, unless the steering needed to be changed for the V8.

BTW, if you need a new instrument panel, try to find a good original because the bottom 2 screw holes don't line up on a repro panel.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #12
socalplanedoc

Smile Re: Dash Cluster Q's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
Wow ! Good to feel welcome - thanks

Yes I appreciate that BUT I am asking where these things were mounted ORIGINALLY.

If I wanted to know how best to drop a SBC in or chop the top I could understand your reply- and the HAMB would be the best place to ask.

I am doing the best I can with what I have to hand & trying to keep an iconic American vehicle on the road in the Uk

Nice. Well done.

I got my Fordor with an alternator (incorrectly wired) and a downdraft carb that needed a fuel pump. The previous owner had drilled a hole in the dash cover for the switch so I left it there, but replaced it with one that looked period. I hid the alternator light up under the same cover so you couldnt see it but when it's lit the reflection is obvious. I also added a few fuses and I *know* that some will admonish me for that but, well, they can kiss my shorts.. so to speak

oh ya, I got 2 original carbs with it but the 91-99 that's on it *really* runs nice so it's staying.
socalplanedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:54 AM   #13
BobbyG

Thanks Chaps - it all helps - I think I need to try and mount something as Tom says out of the way but without interfering with Henry's design too much, thanks for the picture it was a great help.