Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2022, 11:05 AM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default TCP Global Epoxy Primer

I just opened my gallon can of TCP Global, DTM Epoxy Prime/Seal (Part A) and I find it very settled in the bottom of the can and difficult to stir. Does anyone have any experience with this product? I purchased it in August, 2019. Has this primer exceeded its shelf life?

What a waste, there is about 3/4 of the paint left. Just a warning, don't buy too much of this product. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:55 AM   #2
HDowse

Default Re: TCP Global Epoxy Primer

Hi Ed, I don’t have specific info on the TCP primer but every primer I’ve used does settle and needs quite a bit of stirring. You can buy a rig that goes in a drill that helps a lot. If you’ve used one you know not to raise the unit out of the paint while the drill is running.
Also, I often take an old can of primer or paint to my local hardware store and they put it in their paint shaker upper rig. As far as shelf life it’s probably just fine but others will chime on.
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:40 PM   #3
SwampLedge

This year I shot some epoxy primer (Eastwood branded) that I bought in 2019. The primer itself is pretty thick and settles out well in a matter of just a week or so. A drill attachment stirrer makes short work of remixing it.

The catalyst/hardener that I purchased with the primer seemed just a bit “off” to me, and the primer took overnight ( and a little longer where I applied it a bit heavy) to cure, which I didn't like. So I ordered up a new can of catalyst and all iis well since.
SwampLedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:46 PM   #4
gdmn852

Hello, I found that it is best to manual stir and get some of the bottom material mixed up, had a paint stirring device with plastic blades that promptly broke off on 1 st use .Epoxy primer does work well for sealing,doesn’t sand well but it’s not meant for a filler primer. I would think it is still good as long as stored where it doesn’t freeze.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:41 PM   #5
tmiller6

I had similar issues with a new can of Summit epoxy primer. Wooden stirrers broke off when I tried to mix it. I ended up buying a pneumatic paint shaker to stir it.
tmiller6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 02:05 PM   #6
chrs1961815

Most likely caused by waiting so long to use it. You are better off stirring it every once in a while if not.

BTW, SPI epoxy primer is probably the best you can buy and certainly better than anything from Eastwood or Summit.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:50 PM   #7
CA Victoria

Heavy solids.....My Kirker primer needed a good shake when it arrived. Even so when let to stand for a few days the solids settled out.
Take it to your local hardware store to put in their shaker.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:56 PM   #8
duke36

Contact TCP and ask if they have something to reduce it ? Some use Acetone or Xylene.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:13 PM   #9
Ed in Maine

I want to thank all you guys that responded to my question about the settled primer. This afternoon I got back into the can with a 14 in. heavy screw driver and started to move the heavy solids in the bottom of the can. I broke up the solids into pieces and then started to move them around. It took me 45 minutes of stirring but the epoxy primer started to move and is now back to normal! I was about to throw out the mess. You just saved me $140.00. Thanks again. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:01 PM   #10
Cabbie.a12

I painted my 54 with TCP Global Acrylic 12 years ago. It was a single stage, that went down super smooth, and has lasted all these years sitting outside. I would recommend their paint to anyone. Granted it was 12 years ago, I painted my car 2 tone for less than $600 in supplies, and paint.

Daniel Nelson

1957 Ford Fairlane, and building a 1931 Ford Roadster Pickup.
Cabbie.a12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 02:29 AM   #11
Dodge

I don't know if anyone else does this, but for us hobbyists that don't paint all the time
and keep the paint for a long time. I shoot a little nitrogen into the paint can as I put
the top on it. It seems to keep the paint from kicking off in the can.
My 2 cents....
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:37 AM   #12
Fhane

I store my paint upside down, both spray and canned. When I get ready to use the product I turn the can right side up a day or so ahead of time, if it has been stored a long time. I have seen spray cans stored right side up and the paint will settle down and the thick part will go into the bottom of the spray tube and seal it. You could shake forever and the paint will stay in the tube. Some time a hard wack downward might clear the tube. Same thing spray lubes and similar items.
Fhane is offline   Reply With Quote