Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
30A

Default 1936 Ford pickup restoration

I recently purchased a 1936 pickup...mostly original. Frame off restoration is in progress. I am struggling with being correct but considering powder coating the frame versus paint. Concourse standards are appealing but want to be able to drive the truck and enjoy it. Powder coat or paint?

Also, original metal bed has little or no rust and plan to keep it. I assume that is the best direction since it seems most don't survive. I need to replace the wood sub floor but want to reinstall the metal bed. I see a lot of wood beds and wondering if keeping the metal bed the best direction?

Your input is appreciated.

Thx sw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5-17-12 009 1.jpg (56.6 KB, 209 views)
30A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Scott H

Default Re: 1936 Ford pickup restoration

Was that one on Ebay a couple weeks ago? looks like a nice truck...welcome to the '36 pickup brotherhood!
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
Lawson Cox

If you haven't gotten into it too much, I would drive it just as is. It will get more attention if original.

I would paint the frame if it were mine. Powder coating fills up holes that will have to be individaully filed to remove excess powdr coating before you can get bolts to go through them.

Keep the metal bed and floor. I would assume the wood under the bed is good, based on looking at the one picture of the truck. Sand the wood sub bloor to freshen it up if you want to. It was not painted originally.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Charlie ny
BANNED

30A,
I recently 'restored' my '41 1/2 ton which should have a metal
floor. When I purchased the truck it had a wood floor with stainless steel
strips ( done by the previous owner )
It also had a '40 tail gate which was the last year for the embossed V8.
I salvaged the oak bed boards and planed them flat, the stainless strips
were sand blasted and powder coated black. I soaked the boards with
linseed oil as the only finish. Once finished the bed looked business like
and is super durable. The linseed finish sheds water like a ducks back
I use the truck hard and actually haul goods in it....no dents, no chipped
paint, no maintenance at all. Yep I kept the '40 tail gate too.
Build it to make you happy not some well meaning judge.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Steel 35

I too would use paint over powder and I really like my steel bed...... keep the pictures coming
Steel 35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
totto

I agree with Lawson, I restored '34 pickup and had to replace the wood sub-floor and metal floor(got the parts from Mack's in MO). My sub-floor was tongue-n-grove maple and was stained black. If your metal floor is as good as the rest of body, then don't do a thing. I painted with acrylic enamel. Photo of my truck is on the " '32-'38 pickup social group" on this web site.
totto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
TJ

Sandblast the frame and then paint it with POR 15. It is as good as powder coating and a lot cheaper. You can brush it on and it flows good and looks like it was sprayed. One quart will usually do the frame.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
flat-v8

I still have that truck's pictures saved on Ebay, that is a rare original truck from Forney TX. Even the rear fenders have no cracks!
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
Mike in AZ

cool looking the way it is.....good luck with the restoration.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
flat-v8

I'm currently working on my bed, the original steel is still pretty good, but I had rotten wood in one corner. I'm sure yours is in way better condition underneath, but this is how I fixed my wood rot, fast and for free!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wood rot.jpg (89.3 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg bed 002.jpg (114.3 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg blasted.jpg (61.4 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg sand blasting bed.jpg (136.0 KB, 211 views)
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #11
30A

Thanks for the input! Yes, the truck came from Forney and originally from Nebraska. I purchased it after the guy who won the ebay auction flaked out. I have been most impressed with the lack of rust. It was tempting to leave it original and drive like it is but thought the grey primer is not original so here I go with a restoration.

Some wood rot about like flat-V8's photo and seems an interesting solution since I really don't want to remove the rivets - can the rivets can be duplicated?

Is POR 15 a long term solution for the frame? I assume leaf springs etc can be left in place with this treatment? I am going to power wash the frame and see what the existing paint looks like. I have a guy available to sand blast it.

Anyone know of a quality body shop/painter in Houston area? Some minor metal work is needed.

I am having hard time attaching more pics. Maybe the files are too large?

Thanks for the welcome to the brotherhood! I am hooked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5-21-12 026 1.JPG (101.3 KB, 227 views)
30A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
31chevy

I agree with TJ, you can also por 15 the wood it will actually strengthen it. Just remember it likes a rough sandblasted or rusty surface not shiney chrome etc.
Gary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg por 15 bed 003.jpg (46.1 KB, 123 views)
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
Roadster5040

That is a nice truck Steve
Roadster5040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #14
36tbird

Maybe they have changed the formula but my experience with POR 15 is that it does not stick well to clean metal. I would talk to their tech people about it.

I would blast the frame and shoot it with self etching primer. Put your color coat over the primer.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
Fe26

Congratulations on winning this fine pickup.

Lawson is right on the money, too often we see over restored vehicles. And while the sentiment is understandable that a new owner wants to do the vehicle justice and gain pride and kudos for himself, the fact remains; the vehicle is only original once.

I sympathise with your situation, someone has already been at the paint. And while it is understandable that this could be regarded as a valid reason as or for a departure point in moving toward a restoration, it could also be seen as a reason to pause, to take some time to research and to understand what you have, to assess what options you have available and to inform yourself about the many options you have available to you. In this regard I too urge caution.

To illustrate my point I will mention an experience many of us have witnessed: At so many car shows, club get togethers, breakfasts, barbecues etc.

We have literally dropped everything (food, beverages, conversations with good lookin' women, closing a deal on a rare car or part) and with all undue haste have beaten a path to the guy and his original barn-find car that has just driven (under it's own power) or been trailored into the area. In doing so we barely cast a glance (while we rush past) the restored vehicles on display. Why?

We know that the restored vehicle will come again and again and again. But what we hope, is that we will once again get to experience what our cars once were, not what they have now become. To experience the innocence of that less complicated time again is precious. Then our rational minds take over and we want to use this amazing vehicle for reference purposes, we want to understand the factory codes and their variations, we want to touch and feel and understand, and we want to feel like the first owner felt as he drove his new vehicle home in the darkest of dark Depression days. We want to feel his pride as he showed off his pride and joy to his family, friends and neighbours. And such experiences are becoming more rare each day, week and year. In the world we now live in we crave the genuine and the original.

And many of us fear is that someone with a bigger thirst than ours will eye off that original specimen, and declaim: Yep, I'm puttin' this one in my collection (and we know we may never see this one again) or, he may say, I'm gonna restore this to better than new, and our hearts sink, for what we have missed, and for what he never knew.

That the original is genuine (and genuine is often faked, and why do people need to do that?). And once the genuine has gone it can never be replaced (only with a fake). And what would any of us rather have?

There is a place for the restored vehicle, and without such vehicles our club EFV8CA would not exist. From such wealth of experiences we can can now reflect on the approaches taken in the interpretation and the restorations of many fine vehicles over many decades. This wealth and depth of knowledge now allows us to assess in new ways what these vehicles are, and how they may be interpreted in new ways. And in this endeavour we enhance our understanding and our knowledge.

To reiterate; your truck is only original once, and while the paint has been covered or obliterated this may not necessarily be the reason for restoration. Twice I have removed a crude topcoat of paint from cars by means of Sandsoap and elbow grease, to discover the remains of the original paint. I feel the old and original largely intact, although worn through in some places and cracked in others, was preferrable to the brushed on job I removed. And to turn the tables on myself, one of the cars was Bambalina Blue (a colour I do not like).

But before you proceed with energy and gusto, please take a moment to consider, and to inform yourself of your options before you make the decision (which is entirely yours) to either preserve or restore your prize.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #16
36Bill

Nice truck.
My truck shows it's years with an old and not well done repaint, farm fixes, and rust here and there but I like it. When I take it out and people stop and talk and they always do, I ask them if they would cherry it out. It is about half and half, so the jury is still out. For them but not for me, I will make it safer and more reliable if I can and leave the rest for another day. It is far easier that way.

Bill
36Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
Brendan

mine is a old junker, i drive it when ever i can and it is a blast!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (88.9 KB, 117 views)

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #18
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
mine is a old junker, i drive it when ever i can and it is a blast!
With the warmest feelings towards your '36' Brendan, I say;

You call this junk, I call this treasure.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #19
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36Bill View Post
Nice truck.
My truck shows it's years with an old and not well done repaint, farm fixes, and rust here and there but I like it. When I take it out and people stop and talk and they always do, I ask them if they would cherry it out. It is about half and half, so the jury is still out. For them but not for me, I will make it safer and more reliable if I can and leave the rest for another day. It is far easier that way.

Bill
These old and mostly original trucks are each induvidual in their own way, they, like us, either age well or grow old disgracfully, lol.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #20
Shadetree

I have to agree with Lawson and the others. I get more attention at car shows with my old raggedy `35 Cabriolet than any restored car I have shown. It is unbelievable the attention it gets. I think everyone can relate to it and believe they can buy it. Then too, some think I just fell off the tater wagon in town.

I have had people tell me they would rather have this Ford than any other car at the show.

I snapped this picture at the first time I showed it in early 2007. It is not staged. I bought it in September 2006 where it had sat in dry storage for over 35 years. I had the engine rebuilt, put new tires on it, re-wired it, replaced the gas tank, had new dual Smitty’s installed and hit the road with it. It ran and sounded great! I have not touched the body or paint. Every winter I try to improve something on it.

It would be a great car to restore but why? I don’t believe it would get the attention it gets now...