Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2014, 06:02 AM   #1
Fibber Mcgee

Default Paint suggestions

I've got to paint my 41 (apparently the last guy used temporary paint). My father in law used to paint alot back in the 70s , 80s and 90s and is going to paint it. When I first talked to him about it he suggested Imron but after reading the "hazards " of Imron ,I was wondering if that is a good choice today. What would be a high quality paint that we could use that would be comparable to Imron that he could use. It would help if it was a little forgiving as it will be applied in a garage. I plan on going with the Cayuga Blue.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:10 AM   #2
oldbugger

Default Re: Paint suggestions

I really like single stage eurethane,(spelling), of course there are hazards with all paint. You can buy a decent paint resperator for about $20 at your auto paint store.
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:23 AM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Find the term "back in the 70's" to be amusing ( to me that's like yesterday ) I also lean towards single stage urethane and think that Imron is overkill.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:58 AM   #4
Cecil/WV

I wouldn't use anything but an air supplied respirator and in my opinion, Urethane single stage is far superior to Imron. Imron is better than Acrylic enamel which is better than Alkyd enamel.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #5
rockfla

Urethane paint will give you the best "as henry made it" finish. Base coat/clear coat is easy and your painting skills don't have to be all that good just as long as the clear is thick enough and you can spend time wet sanding.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #6
Joe Immler

I got Cayuga Blue for my '41 from Sherwin Williams It is Acrylyd J 5 6553.
Paint code for Cayuga Blue is M1526A
For one gallon:
F 5R100 Magenta 142.8
U 7080 White 297.2
U 7081 Black 1012.0
V 6V175 Mix Dryer 180.8
F 5L68 RS Blue 2012.0

It has been on the car for 17 years and still looks great.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #7
cmbrucew

I believe imron to be the best If the car is driven and parked outside. Very hard shell.
Put it on my forklift almost 30 years ago, still got the shine.
Bruce
Old 10-30-2014, 08:53 AM   #8
rotorwrench

Imron is not the same as it used to be since Dupont sold their paint line off. I've used the real McCoy for years and the new Elite SS is likely an acrylic urethane instead of the old polyurethane formula. The only polyurethane Imron available now is in the Aerospace line of coatings and it is now more expensive and harder to source. I sort of know how the old body men felt when laquer and enammel changed over to the acrylic based products. All new and mysterious about how it will work out in the end. Nothing in the automotive paint world ever stays the same for too long.

I've used the new Elite SS but I think the Ditzler Concept acrylic urethane would be a better choice. It is still the same basic single stage Deltron formula that has been available for years and it is easier to lay down than the "new Imron" is and drys a bit faster.

All I've ever used is a good quality chemical resistant respirator for painting and I've never developed the dreaded Isocyanate pneumonia.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 10-30-2014 at 09:00 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
barnfind

My understanding is Isocyanate's are absorbed thru the skin, eyes, lungs, etc.
Pay a professional unless the father in law has you in his will.

Lot's papers and postings on the hazards of Urethane.
Here's one:
http://www.eastwood.com/urethane-pai...n-instructions
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
Sid the Maineiac

I agree with barnfind and Cecil !I know a lot of guys think a cheap respirator will protect you but I had a friend who found out otherwise . He used to paint his airplanes that he restored using a cheap respirator . He died of a lack of oxygen getting to his blood stream Effected his brain with Alseimer like symtoms and shut down his breathing causing his death !Please don't take a chance!
Sid the Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #11
john in illinois

3M now makes a cartridge that is certified for isocyanates.they fit the full face and half mask. you also need to cover up skin. I use a tyvec suit and nitrile gloves.Cartridges are about $25 and should be replaced after 6 hours.

I used them for ppg concept paint and could not smell the paint.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #12
Aerocraft

I also have been sold on the PPG (Ditzler) product "Concept". It is easy to spray well, is quite forgiving, and easy to color sand which will remove any flaws such as dust from a "dirty" spray booth. It spot repairs easily. Like all of the newer materials, a fresh air mask is a must.

Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #13
39topless

Spend as much time as you can to prep your car really well for the final painting. The final paint coat won't hide anything and, in fact, will really accentuate any flaws in the surface. You can have rattle cans made up with your paint color which you can use to pre-paint areas like door jams, inside of trunk and fender wells and even the fire wall.
If you paint this yourself, be prepared to buy a lot of paint. A 41' sedan is a huge car. Maybe you could start a thread to show us the start to finish job. Good luck.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #14
Fibber Mcgee

Thanks for the advice and warnings. Of I were to go with the Ditzler ,would I be better to use a more open environment (like leave the door open with fans) and sand out any imperfections. I'm not going for perfection as this is and will be a driver. I want durability. And how many gallons do you think I'll need for a Tudor?
Old 10-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #15
Planojc

Do you know what paint is on the car now? If lacquer I would take it off down to bare metal before new paint.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:40 PM   #16
waterboychuck

I was just at the PPG paint store today. I did ask about how much paint that I would need to paint my 46 coupe and they said that a gallon should do the job. I have painted a couple other cars in the past five years and then seems to be the right amount. While painting I did leave my shop door open and tried to paint as close to that as possible.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #17
rotorwrench

I always use some form of single stage urethane and they always need an activator and some take activator and reducer. Some mixing ratios are 3 to 1 color to activator and some a 4 to 1 with reducer. In any case, one gallon would equal more than a gallon when you add in the activator. This makes a gallon of just the color a pretty safe bet for most cars. Now if you are doing a frame off and painting the inside and bottom, you would need more. Maybe as much as half gallon, I don't know but it depends on square feet of coverage and how many coats, etc. I've painted several Hughes/MD 500 helicopters and they take close to 2-gallons with 3-coats. Aircraft get painted all over so there are a lot of square feet compared to a car.

The price for a gallon plus activator/reducer might make you choke now days. The stuff is way expensive.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #18
Fibber Mcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planojc View Post
Do you know what paint is on the car now? If lacquer I would take it off down to bare metal before new paint.
I have to take it down to the metal due to the fact that the paint on there now is flaking off and I don't trust the paint or the primer.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #19
Fibber Mcgee

I'm glad to hear I can get buy with a gallon. I'm going to look at the Ditzler . If he can paint with Imron it sounds like Ditzler would be as easy or easier.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:35 PM   #20
cmbrucew

I have used a CPAP machine and a long hose. Set it outside in fresh air. Protective clothing and rubber gloves. Get everything at the swap meet.
Bruce