Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
revenski

Question 1938 one ton manual "power brake assist"

I have a '38 one ton with manual brakes that I am restoring to stock. As I am putting the brakes back together I find that I need information on the vacuum assist mechanism that Ford built into this truck's manual brake system. I have a Type Q Bragg-Kliesrath actuating valve which is in-line between the brake pedal and the brake cross shaft, but it appears that I am missing anything else that would make this system work. I don't know if there was a regulator or a check valve, but I do know that the booster tank is missing. I have not yet found any diagrams or descriptions of the system or parts. I have not yet located the parts in the Green Bible. Any information on this early "power assist" system would be appreciated. I would like to reassemble it in working order.
revenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
supereal

Default Re: 1938 one ton manual "power brake assist"

The first time I saw a "manual" (mechanical) brake booster was on a '37 Ford fire truck. It was a frantic call from firemen who were fighting a brush fire. The brakes were locked, and the fire was coming their way. The actuator valve was stuck, and opening the vacuum line and a good whack on the valve let it loose. I think they never trusted it again!
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
Newc

Hi all; I parted out a '34 with a vaccum assist that was operated by a manual valve on the steering column. A valve like a trailer valve for air brakes. Only one I've seen. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
V12Bill

Model K Lincolns had power boosters on mechanical brakes. Check out their site and see what they know. I am sure that Henry used the same parts on the Lincoln as he did on the Ford trucks.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote