Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
CoupeKid

Default Carb Issues

Hi All,

New kid here. I just got my Standard Coupe back on the road after reworking the interior; I went to take it out today, and it idles fine, but when I apply the gas, it starts to die rather than rev the engine. If I pull the choke rod out, I can keep it running, but that's no fun. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
CoupeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Carb Issues

Check your gas line going into the carb to make sure its not in to far restricting fuel flow. also check flow with line off carb into a container. also if the gas cap is venting . a start, welcome to the hobby!!
Old 12-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Is this on a stock carb and fuel supply?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:41 AM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Yo, Coupe Kid, Coupe OLD Man here.
If it was running O.K. previously, and if you have stock carb, try this: Hood open, idling, right hand working throttle at carb, use palm of left hand over carb inlet to gradually choke it enough to rev up to 2800 to 3000 R.P.M, then choke it completly with left palm and at the same time open throttle wide openwith right hand. If the problem is crap in a jet or passageway, the high vacuum may suck it on through.
When it chokes down almost to a stop, remove your left hand, but leave throttle wide open until it recovers. Might be crap that accumulated while it was sitting for a spell.
Model A's that are driven regularly rarely have running problems, even with ethanol fuel.
I'm 76 years old, and if I sit in my recliner too long, I have "running" problems!---Bill W.
Also, you can richen it up by turning the choke rod counter clockwise, this operates a secondary high sped jet. When this is turned all the way clockwise, you are just running on the regular high speed jet. Its called the GAV (gas adjusting valve)
Please report back as to success so we can advise you further. ALWAYS THINK OF THE SIMPLE THINGS FIRST.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 12-27-2011 at 03:57 AM. Reason: addition
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote