Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
Deuce Man

Default 46 ring and pinion

My "new to me" 46 business coupe is coming along nicely with some upgrades and TLC from me. This is a very nice car that has had three owners in the last five years and a lot of work on it by most of them. Tracking down the history of exactly what was done, and by who is a little bit of a challenge. At the moment I am focusing on the rear end gear ratio. This car has what I think is a 40 rear. I came to this conclusion by the spacing of the upper spring pins, which are 46 1/2 inches. Now my delima, I want a higher ratio in the rear. I see gears available from various sources. Are there good and bad gears? What supplier sells the best? Thanks Rich
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Juergen

Default Re: 46 ring and pinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Man View Post
My "new to me" 46 business coupe is coming along nicely with some upgrades and TLC from me. This is a very nice car that has had three owners in the last five years and a lot of work on it by most of them. Tracking down the history of exactly what was done, and by who is a little bit of a challenge. At the moment I am focusing on the rear end gear ratio. This car has what I think is a 40 rear. I came to this conclusion by the spacing of the upper spring pins, which are 46 1/2 inches. Now my delima, I want a higher ratio in the rear. I see gears available from various sources. Are there good and bad gears? What supplier sells the best? Thanks Rich
I don't know what supplier sells the best. I do know I bought mine from Speedway at least 10 years ago and have had no problems.
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Your rear probably IS NOT a 1940 rear, based on your 46-1/2" measurement. 1935 thru 1940 rears measure 48-1/2" between centers, where-as 1941s and '42-'48 rears measure 46-3/4" between centers. Click (and bookmark) the rear end ID link below. DD

http://www.flatheadv8.org/fordrear.htm

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:57 PM   #4
Fordors

Deuce Man may have measured the distance as 46 1/2", my info says '41 is unique @ 46 1/2" and will also have the one year only spring hangers as pictured in the link. Hot Rod Magazine for February 1968 shows '41 Ford - 46 1/2" and '42-'48 Ford - 47".
Probably not worth bickering over plus or minus a 1/4", but it might help somebody ID something some day.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:19 PM   #5
bobH

Wouldn't finding a suitable 46-48 rear end be an option? Seems like around my area, this would be the easiest route.

(Easy to identify a 40, vs a 46-48, just by looking at the radius rods - short vs long)
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
Deuce Man

I am looking to run 3,25 to 1 gears in my 46, not many old used rears around with that ratio. Exactly which year housing I have is not as much of an issue as who sells good gears and who sells junk? Thanks Rich
Old 08-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

At one time almost all the gears in the U.S. were made by a couple of companies because of the equipment involved. No idea about the current market, but I have really never heard of bad gears. Unless you are racing or driving a lot of miles it shouldn't be a big issue. I fact I seriously doubt you will have much of a selection on such a low demand item. If it was me I would go with lower gearing and an overdrive.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
bobH

I would second the opinion of JSeery, post 7.... I've got 3.54's in a 47 convert (tank), and it's a slug off the line. I can only imagine what 3.25's would be like. My choice would also be something like 3.78 (or even 4.11) and an overdrive, if I wanted highway gears. Just opinion...

As for the 'good-gears / bad-gears' question, probably not much choice. I have seen postings on this forum that 'fitment' of new gears can be problematic. With original Ford gears from the old-days, fitment was (and is) fairly straightforward. What do you do when you find that you need to adjust the pinion with homemade shims, and maybe even move it in the direction that you can't? And, you won't even know of this problem until you are actually trying to do it. All I'm saying is, I can't help with the good-gear, bad-gear question, and I would have a plan for 'abnormal' fitting and adjustment. Not saying you can't do it, just be aware.

Last edited by bobH; 08-20-2015 at 12:34 PM.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #9
Deuce Man

I just got through counting the teeth on my ring gear, 37 teeth, that means 4.11's. These are way too low for me. I see ring and pinions in various catalogs, if they are all good, I guess I don't have a problem. Anyone have any adverse experiences? By the way I don't want an overdrive. Thanks Rich
Old 08-25-2015, 09:29 AM   #10
john in illinois

I just put 3.25 gears in my roadster banjo rear end. I got them from speedway,they are made in Italy,and nice quality. I think most of the vendors sell these gears.
As mentioned they require some extra work. The pinion shaft should to be made smaller so that the adjustable bearing will slide. I put it in a lathe and used sandpaper to reduce it about ..001" if I remember. A machine shop can do this with a polishing sander on a crankshaft grinder.

I also had to get a package of .005" shims from Mcmaster carr. With trial and error I shimmed the pinion bearing .015 into ring gear and got a good gear pattern.

I checked with 2 other vendors and they carried the same gears.

John
john in illinois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:13 AM   #11
Deuce Man

John, that is exactly what I needed to hear. I am running 2.80's in my flathead powered 32, I love the cruise! 35 to 40 in first gear is cool too. Thanks to Juergen too. Rich
Old 08-31-2016, 11:09 AM   #12
BC Texas

Is your 4:11's good? If so, do you want to sell them? If you do call or text to 903-539-2282
BC Texas is offline   Reply With Quote