Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
bart78

Default Flathead question

I picked up a flathead from an old guy that got it 40 years ago to put in a truck but never did I tore it down and there is some rust in a few cylinders. My question is there seems to be no cracks that I can see and all the rest looks new. It was stored in a chicken barn with no plugs and the intake open. If I want to stay prety much stock can I just have it bored out. I would have them magma flux it first.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Flathead question

How much of a ring ridge was there? You might just hone it rather than bore it. No cracks visible on the deck, if you haven't completely dismantled it yet, you may not have to.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
bart78

There is some pitting on a few cylinders. I am going to tear the whole thing down and soak it in washing soda with a batterie charger to clean the whole thing inside and out.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart78 View Post
There is some pitting on a few cylinders. I am going to tear the whole thing down and soak it in washing soda with a batterie charger to clean the whole thing inside and out.
The washing soda (electrolysis) will only work on line-of-sight because of the flow of the electrons is directional to the anodes. In other words it cannot clean the inside unless you find a way to insert an anode inside (that didn't sound so right, but it is true).
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
bart78

I have some real heavy steel wire that I think I can attach to the rebar and try to snake it in to some places. The motor was free so I can't get hurt doing this. I have done some smaller things and it worked great. I have thought about diging a big hole with our backhoe and putting a liner in it and try to do a body. I have a bunch of big chargers for our big equipment.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
Ol' Ron

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
go for it, let us know how it works out. God I love guys like tis.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
bart78

One thing good about the stuff it's safe to just put on the ground when done. I have the front bucket of a touring t that I might try it with. Might not be anything left when it's done.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart78 View Post
I have some real heavy steel wire that I think I can attach to the rebar and try to snake it in to some places. The motor was free so I can't get hurt doing this. I have done some smaller things and it worked great. I have thought about diging a big hole with our backhoe and putting a liner in it and try to do a body. I have a bunch of big chargers for our big equipment.
I saw a guy on a TV show with a rig for doing motorcycle gas tanks. The anode looked like a curved BBQ starter element. The element snaked inside the tank and the top fit in place of the original gas cap. Cool stuff.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
Walt Dupont--Me.

THe best thing to do is find a shop that has a baking oven and short peen cleaning system. I have all my engine baked out, thay come out just like new inside and out. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #10
ford38v8

Walt, a question about baking... The term "Shake & Bake" is backwards, isn't it? ...And the temperature is much too low to bond the sand as glass, right? ...And what sort of machine is used to do the sh-sh-shake?
Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
rotorwrench

A friend of mine cleaned every square inch of a 29 model A tudor sedan with a file and sand paper. It took him a lot of hours to do but it was all work that could be done without any special machinery. He still had enough form left in the corroded areas to use as the templates for the replacement patches he fabricated. The car turned out to be in pretty good condition for setting out in the weather for 55 some odd years. The metal was thinner when he got done but structurally sound after all the patches were hammer welded in. If he had blasted the car or chemically removed the corrosion, there may have not been enough pattern left to form some of the excellent patches he made. Now days you can buy a lot of patch panels for the known trouble spots but not all of them for a heavilly corroded body or a more rare body type.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
Barry WNY

Just-in-case, number or somehow keep the lifters on the correct lobe in case it is fresh enough, you will not have to get them reground.The open valves may need grinding, but maybe they will not be pitted, so just a lap job? it will be fun
Barry WNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #13
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Walt, a question about baking... The term "Shake & Bake" is backwards, isn't it? ...And the temperature is much too low to bond the sand as glass, right? ...And what sort of machine is used to do the sh-sh-shake?
Inquiring minds want to know!
i guess it should be bake and shake, the temp is about 500*for an hour. The last shop I ran before I become retarded< I mean retired, we bought bought one of those cookers, I cain't remember the name brand but it cost $35000.00. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
bart78

Started today with the electrolysis thing. Stuck a head in the tank and three hours later it looked brand new after I washed it off. This works awesome.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
oldblue

IMHO you will probably want to have the block magnafluxed . That will give you a pretty good idea of how much money you will need to sink into it .
oldblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #16
39portlander

It was stored in a chicken barn with no plugs and the intake open. [/QUOTE]

Interesting, The Flathead I'm currently tearing down the guy found it in a pig pen. Hog dropping's preserved her good. Scott
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #17
Henry/Kokomo

Hey Bart . . . how about a picture of the cleaned head? Really curious about the electrolysis process results. Thanks, Henry
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #18
bart78

I will take some pictures. I will even take some of it being done. I am wondering if the electrolysis will eat up the Babbitt bearings.