Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
crunch

Unhappy Full-Flow Oil-Filter Kit from "Motor City Flatheads"

I have a '53 Ford flathead V8. When I overhauled the engine I installed the Full-Flow kit. I had to modify the oil pan to except the new pump and hose going thru side of oil pan, went fine as per instructions. I mounted spin-on oil filter in its original spot on head after adapting bracket. Primed system and it worked great. Car sat for awhile, (winter) and when I started it up no oil pressure. I'm wondering if there should have been a check valve between the pump and oil filter? If anyone could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated
Sincerely, Crunch
crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
richard crow

Default Re: Full-Flow Oil-Filter Kit from "Motor City Flatheads"

call motor city flatheads & ask them.
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch View Post
I have a '53 Ford flathead V8. When I overhauled the engine I installed the Full-Flow kit. I had to modify the oil pan to except the new pump and hose going thru side of oil pan, went fine as per instructions. I mounted spin-on oil filter in its original spot on head after adapting bracket. Primed system and it worked great. Car sat for awhile, (winter) and when I started it up no oil pressure. I'm wondering if there should have been a check valve between the pump and oil filter? If anyone could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated
Sincerely, Crunch
Have you checked to see if you don't have a faulty oil pressure sending unit or gage?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
2935ford

I had their system on my '35 Ford for many years and it sat through many winters and never failed to give me good oil pressure every spring startup.

When I first installed it, I did have a kinked line inside the oil pan that cause me some grief but once fixed it was golden from then on.

Yes, insure your gauge and send units are good.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
bluardun

Your oil system has bled down during the winter storage. The pump WON'T purge the air bubble out. Loosen an oil line and start the engine. Once the system is primed, tighten the oil line. This is common. Somewhat like a diesel out of fuel.
Enjoy
bh
bluardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
Tarheel

Some spin-on filters will have an internal check valve to keep oil inside the oil filter when the engine is off. This helps the engine get oil faster when it is just started up. Some do not have the valve. Check the specs on the filter you are using- this may be the cause..
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
uncle max

[QUOTE=Tarheel;434052]Some spin-on filters will have an internal check valve to keep oil inside the oil filter when the engine is off. This helps the engine get oil faster when it is just started up. Some do not have the valve. Check the specs on the filter you are using- this may be the cause..[/QUOTE
This is true... I ran into the same scenario with the MCF pump and switched to Moroso filters. Running just fine now for eight years.
No need to burp it now.
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
36tbird

Well, one dire warning. Friend installed MCF system. Not much time on the engine he was going down the road and lost all pressure. Turned out that the MCF pump snapped its shaft. Looked to be some shaky work done on that modified pump.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
BillM

I have a home made version of the MCF system and it has always had pressure come up quickly after oil changes, although recently I started it up after the engine had been out of the car for quite a while with the oil drained and it seemed to be slow to show pressure. I dropped the pan and removed the pump to check it out and it would prime itself and pump quickly with the pump in a pan of oil and spinning it by hand, so I put it back in the engine and primed it some by pouring oil into the pressure port. It was fine then but I did have to rev it up after it fired to bring up the pressure. I couldn't get it to show any pressure by cranking it, even with the plugs out and on 12 volts. I had tried cranking it before that with the filter removed to rule out an air lock with out success. Its odd that spinning the pump by hand will work so well but it must take more RPM's to make it work in the engine. The pressure sender is at the end of all the added plumbing so I assume there is a flow of oil getting getting to where its needed before the gauge responds.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
34flathead

why do you have to break loose an oil line, wont the air purge thru the oil fill tube?
rich
34flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
Ronnie

What filter # are you using and is it installed up rite or sideways?If it is a normal ford application it contains an anti drain back valve.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

I have had a MCF FF oil filter system on a '35 21 stud engine for the last 10 years/~12k miles. Has worked flawlessly for me although like 2935ford I also initially twisted the inner hose from OP to oil pan bulkhead when I tightened the bulkhead fitting. This twist caused zero oil pressure and had to go back in and straighten that out. That was my own doing because I did not follow installation directions carefully enough.
I have the spin on filter bracket mounted down low on a bracket that bolts to the pan rail/oil pan bolts. I used the hose, fittings, spin on oil filter bracket, etc., that was supplied with the kit as purchased from MCF.
OBTW, Richard Crow, Motor City Flathead (Mark Kirby) has been out of business for many years. Mark is now with the 'Shadow Rods' group. I am hoping to see him tomorrow or Friday at the NSRA Show in York, PA.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 05-30-2012 at 07:58 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
flathead4rd

Have had the MCFH oil system for several years. I did have a problem with it the first time I changed the oil. I thought it would be a good idea to fill the spin on filter with oil when I changed it. Not a good idea! Couldn't get any oil pressure. Called Mark Kirby (this was several years ago) and he told me to always install the filter empty. Put a new filter on and bingo, oil pressure.
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #14
crunch

Thumbs up Re: Full-Flow Oil-Filter Kit from "Motor City Flatheads"

Thanks for all the replies on the MCF oil filter kit. Its great to hear from all of you, either positive or negitive, to be able to converse with people from so many differant places, all over the U.S. Canada, ect.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #15
crunch

to; JM 35 Sedan, I'm going to mount my filter as you did rather then on top as originally mounted, also wondering if you saw Mark Kirby at the NSRA show? Would like to hear from you.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #16
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
call motor city flatheads & ask them.

MCF is now associated with www.shadowrods.com
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote