Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2016, 06:54 PM   #1
JimG

Cool 34 Ford Passenger side door lock

I own a 34 Ford Fordor but don't have a key to the passenger side door which is the only one that locks. The ignition lock key does not fit the door lock. I would like to get the lock operational. I talked to several locksmiths but none seem to be able to make a key to fit the lock, or they may be able to do so if I take the lock out of the car and give it to them. I can get a replacement lock with 2 keys from Mac's auto parts for about $25. Does anyone know how to remove the lock? I have included some photos. There is an opening in the door edge just at the lock with a screw in it. Is this a setscrew to hold the lock in? It looks like it might be. If I loosen the screw, can I just pull the lock right out, without messing something up? Can you pull the lock out and put it back in just from the outside of the door without removing the inside of the door using this screw? I really don't want to take the inside panel of the door out if I don't have to. I want to make sure that if I start messing around with pulling the lock out that something won't fall apart inside the latch where I would have to get inside the door to fix it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20160829_18_41_17_Rich - red.jpg (19.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20160829_18_42_29_Rich - red.jpg (27.1 KB, 61 views)
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:15 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 34 Ford Passenger side door lock

There should be a headless set screw accessible through that small hole in your second photo. That is all the holds the lock cylinder in place. In other words, you can remove the lock cylinder without disturbing the door trim panel.

Replacing it will be a bit more demanding as the small square shaft at the back of the lock cylinder has to insert into a square hole in the latch mechanism. Some ingenuity to prevent that small square shaft from drooping while trying to insert it into the square hole in the latch is required, but with patience and perseverance you can do it without removing the door trim panel.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:47 PM   #3
51504bat

Years ago I had a lock on an o/t car with no key. An old school lock smith made a key by "impression" as he called it. He inserted a key blank in the cylinder and pulled it out and looked at the impressions on the blank and filed it a bit and kept re-inserting the key and filing it a bit until it worked. Don't know if its possible to do on your door lock or if there are still any lock smiths that can do this.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:01 AM   #4
Terry,OH

The ignition lock key should FIT into the door lock, since they both use the same key blank. From what I can see in your photo it appears you do not have the proper door lock cylinder. The face of the cylinder should appear like the one below. If you do not have the cylinder but you do have a key for the ignition. The proper door cylinder can be re-pined to operate on the same key as the ignition as Fords did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34 door lock cylinder (1).JPG (147.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 34 door lock cylinder (2).jpg (35.0 KB, 17 views)
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:16 AM   #5
JimG

My ignition key will not even go into the door lock. Enclosed are photos of the exterior of the door lock. It does not look like the photo you posted. I also enclose a photo of the ignition lock, which looks to be very original, and the ignition lock key. Maybe the door lock is an aftermarket addition, like I see on Mac's? I would like the door lock to be functional, but it's not crucial that it operate on the same key as the ignition. I guess I could change it out with a new lock from Mac's that has keys. Does anyone have a spare original door lock that I could buy or know where I could buy one? That would be the best way to go if I could find one, and could get it rekeyed to the ignition lock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20160902_07_20_57_Rich - red.jpg (64.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20160902_07_21_18_Rich - red.jpg (37.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20160902_07_26_51_Rich - red.jpg (44.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20160902_08_26_14_Rich(2) - red.jpg (25.1 KB, 15 views)
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:22 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

There are several locksmiths that post on the Barn from time to time.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
32phil

Your lock is an aftermarket unit and it uses a different key blank. Your ignition cylinder is the original style. Judging from the screw head at the bottom of the column drop it appears that it has been replaced at one time. The correct door lock for your car is the one in the picture from Terry, OH. I may have the correct lock for your door and I can match the two keys. You can call me @ 845 551 5132, and I will try to help.
Phil