Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #21
Bob C

Default Re: 39 - 6 volt electrical question

When it is turning over slow feel the wires and connections and see if there
is one that is noticeably hotter.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #22
V8COOPMAN

If you bought a NEW starter from Mac's, you can be well-assured that it was manufactured in some hemisphere far, far away. Best advice on an item like that is to send an ORIGINAL "Henry Ford" starter to a legitimate, old-time starter-REBUILD shop to actually re-manufacture that heavy-duty piece of equipment to original. Be aware of shops that will do little more than a quick "clean-up" and an Earl Sheib rebuild". Do you know anyone that you could borrow a REAL starter from to try? DD

It sounds like you've looked into most of the possibilities that would cause your symptoms. I just couldn't justify putting a Taiwanese-made starter on one of my engines even if it were free. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:19 PM   #23
30-9

Bob C - good advise. I just spoke with Skip Haney (coil master) and he suggested same thing. Feel the wires.

Coop - I can only say, I agree 110%. I have the original starter, maybe I should find a place locally and get it rebuilt. My fear is as you pointed out, Earl Sheib syndrome.....more money wasted.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #24
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-9 View Post

Coop - I can only say, I agree 110%. I have the original starter. My fear is as you pointed out, Earl Sheib syndrome.....more money wasted.
You need to find an old-timey shop in an old part of town that's been around forever! If they do 'big truck' stuff, that's a good sign. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 08-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #25
41ford1

You are getting some good advise here. Double check all the wiring from the battery to the starter. I've seen corrosion in crimped connections cause the same symptoms. If you are near Manchester, NH, Kinney Electric on Webster St. Can check or rebuild the original starter.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:27 PM   #26
meric42

Just as another thing to check, I usually solder all the crimped connections in the starter circuit as I have known resistance to build up in connections that are only crimped. Just My 2c. Hope you get it sorted, Meric.

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:03 PM   #27
Bluebell

You need to cover a few things: I make the assumption that the charging system is good, that the ignition timing is right and that your engine is not on the verge of seizing.

The start circuit is not that complicated.
It can be the:
1.Battery,
2.Starter motor
3.Wiring (including earth returns)
4.The solenoid/ starter (whatever connects the power to the starter)

So you have 4 basic areas, one of which must have a problem

You need to have the battery load tested (it should be good because the fault was there before you fitted the current one?
The starter needs load testing when it is hot.Was the problem there with an earlier starter? or is this the same one?
Who rebuilt it? Does the resistance of the field windings check out (should be in spec)
Was the armature tested? on a growler?
Are the brushes good? Are the brush springs in spec? Is the brush end plate good?, Replaced? Is the insulation at the brush holders good?
Were the bushes new? When all bolted together, does the armature turn freely?
If your starter is rebuilt was it done like mine? I pulled mine to bits, cleaned it, and put it back together. That is not rebuilt.

If those things are all good, then it is down to the connections, how clean they are and the cross sectional area of your cables, the internal contacts in the solenoid, and the cleanliness of the earth returns.
If you check all these things and they check out fine, you will have fixed it.
Good luck

Last edited by Bluebell; 08-29-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:59 PM   #28
30-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
You need to cover a few things: I make the assumption that the charging system is good, that the ignition timing is right and that your engine is not on the verge of seizing.

The start circuit is not that complicated.
It can be the:
1.Battery,
2.Starter motor
3.Wiring (including earth returns)
4.The solenoid/ starter (whatever connects the power to the starter)

So you have 4 basic areas, one of which must have a problem

You need to have the battery load tested (it should be good because the fault was there before you fitted the current one? Yes
The starter needs load testing when it is hot.Was the problem there with an earlier starter? Yesor is this the same one?
Who rebuilt it? Does the resistance of the field wings check out (should be in spec)New starter
Was the armature tested? on a growler? no
Are the brushes good? Are the brush springs in spec? Is the brush end plate good?, Replaced? Is the insulation at the brush holders good?new starter
Were the bushes new? When all bolted together, does the armature turn freely?
If your starter is rebuilt was it done like mine? I pulled mine to bits, cleaned it, and put it back together. That is not rebuilt.

If those things are all good, then it is down to the connections, how clean they are and the cross sectional area of your cables, the internal contacts in the solenoid, and the cleanliness of the earth returns.
If you check all these things and they check out fine, you will have fixed it.
Good luck
wish you were right
Old 08-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #29
30-9

I cut this from another thread:
When this happens, try shorting out the resistor - put a wire across it. I had a '57 Chevy that did the same thing. It could be '30 below zero and it would start like a champ. Once it warmed up, it couldn't be started again until it cooled way down. Turned out to be a bad resistor. When the resistor got hot its resistance increased to the point where there was not enough voltage presented to the coil....

1939, 1940
30-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:17 PM   #30
JSeery
Member Emeritus

30-9 your starting to run in circles here!!! I posted checking the resistor with a jumper in the first reply, post #2. Need to slow down and work on things one at a time and not jump all over the place.

There is no reason that would cause the slow starter issue you are now describing, but is something that is very easy to check.

The problem you are describing almost has to be the starter or something directly related to it.

Last edited by JSeery; 08-29-2016 at 07:27 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:27 PM   #31
30-9

JS sorry yes your right. I haven't had an opportunity to try it and I sure hope it's that easy.

Again sorry. You guys are a wealth of information and I greatly appreciate all the suggestions.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:34 PM   #32
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-9 View Post
JS sorry yes your right. I haven't had an opportunity to try it and I sure hope it's that easy.

Again sorry. You guys are a wealth of information and I greatly appreciate all the suggestions.
Worth a try for sure, but it is going to end up being something to do with the starter itself.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #33
rotorwrench

Many of us that have worked on 6-volt systems since were were young have learned not to trust wire cables that are too small a gauge, crimped terminal ends, starters & generators that were overhauled by unknown sources, and a battery in unknown condition. Old original starter solenoids are preferred over new parts too.

On ground connections, I use a good quality silicon grease like DC-4 to keep the corrosion at bay. You can get a silicon dielectric grease all over the connection along as it is tight
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:34 PM   #34
J Franklin

00,0,&1 gauge wire is the right wire for 6 volt starting systems, what do you have? also I didn't know anyone was manufacturing or importing "NEW" 6 volt starting motors.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #35
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Get a quality set of jump leads and run a temporary to earth on the starter, also by pass the solenoid direct to the starter ,with the hot wire jumper see if it come alive ,take a 12 volt battery with you and when the problem appears jump the 12 volt direct to the starter terminal and a head stud for earth if it come alive it will tell you something .Do this with the key on, you will get a few sparks make the contact at the head stud or starter .Did Macs sell you a 12 volt starter ??.Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:58 PM   #36
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
00,0,&1 gauge wire is the right wire for 6 volt starting systems, what do you have? also I didn't know anyone was manufacturing or importing "NEW" 6 volt starting motors.
Here's a picture of Macs NEW 12v flatty starter. 6v uses same picture. I'd find it difficult to believe that this starter was manufactured within 1,000 miles of Dorothy's Kansas. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 08-30-2016, 04:11 PM   #37
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

And second on checking current through the solenoid. I once had this problem because I was young and dump and assumed that if solenoid turned on the starter it was good...
Then one day while worrying at the problem I touched the solenoid.
I immediately smelled burning bacon and heard screaming, and soon realized that I was the source of those phenomena!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:38 PM   #38
rotorwrench

The old solenoid might have good copper contacts but everything wears out eventually. The new stuff worries me with Standard Motor Parts taking over Echlin there is getting less and less stuff you can count on from your local auto parts stores. NOS or good used functional OEM is the way to go if you can scrounge it up. If it comes apart so the contacts can be cleaned, that's a big plus.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #39
Bob C

Well it can't be a problem with the starter because the sticker on it says
INSPECTED OK.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:55 PM   #40
39topless

Question Re: 39 - 6 volt electrical question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39topless View Post
You may want to test that "new" solenoid the next time it gets too hot to start. Just jump the connections on each side of the solenoid with a jump wire and see if you get a better current to the starter. Hint, make sure your car is in neutral.
Yo 30-9, just wondering if you've had a chance to do this yet? Trouble shooting is a process of elimination and this test would eliminate a bad solenoid. Just curious.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote