Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2014, 07:40 AM   #1
Tom Walker

Default Panhard Bar "Do It Yourself"

There is a deal of discussion re the benefits or other wise of Panhard Bars and Sway Bars. My brother found his Model A would dart sideways on a rough road. (Theres plenty round here!). Most folk seem to come down on front sway, rear Panhard. My bro wanted to try front Panhard, his theory is the front axle sideways movement gives the worst effect.

This is his solution. This uses Model A track rod, shortened to suit, complete with at least one adjustable end. 2 weld-in track rod balls. Piece of 3/8" or 10mm mild steel plate. A block of steel roughly 1"x 1.5" x 3", drilled and tapped 2 holes 3/8 x 16. Also drilled in the centre for the weld-in ball.

The steel block sits in the axle web, so needs hand fitting by grinding a big bevel on 2 of the long adjacent shoulders. Just to make it snug.

A potential fault in the design is that a PB should be as long as possible, and would normally have a mounting bracket on one chassis side, with the axle mount as far over the other side as possible. He didnt want to use a chassis bracket, it would have to be too big and ugly. It turns out this design is very discreet, and it works absolutely fine.

When cutting the steel plate for the piece that "drops" the ball from the spring plate, just ensure that the ball ends up as close to the centre of the axle (up and down), as you can.

For the purposes of carrying out this job, the spring bracket can simply be removed from the spring, just dont drive off in the meantime!

It works perfectly, is almost invisible, and has completely got rid of the death lunges!

cheers, Tom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0347.jpg (77.6 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0349.jpg (70.3 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0350.jpg (64.2 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0352.jpg (64.7 KB, 439 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0355.jpg (78.5 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0357.jpg (51.5 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0359.jpg (51.5 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0360.jpg (59.8 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0361.jpg (37.7 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0362.jpg (45.5 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0364.jpg (55.6 KB, 379 views)

Last edited by Tom Walker; 05-01-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Tom Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
Tom Walker

Default Re: Panhard Bar "Do It Yourself"

Also, as shown in the pic, make sure you put the ball which is welded to the spring plate on the OTHER side of the spring plate from the axle mount. This makes the PB as long as possible.

Investigating one for the rear, but this has made so much improvement, not sure a rear bar is needed?

T

Last edited by Tom Walker; 05-01-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
V4F

nice job . guess im lazy as i use a stabilizer .
Old 05-01-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
Terry,NJ

The "Death Wobble" is caused (Generally) by worn and loose parts in the front end and rough roads. However, this seems like an interesting mod. Years ago, there was a spring like device sold which I really can't describe adequately. They were wire springs that put pressure on the tie rod. I've been told that this "Bandaid" would stop most of the wobble.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
Al 29Tudor

I believe the panhard loading is designed into a model "A" by virtue of the transverse springs.
If shocks are missing or inoperative that will allow to axles to hope up and down and on a curve the car will move sideways.
None of this has anything to do with the death wobble.
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
Tom Walker

Terry I think what you are referring to is something like shimmy or shaking of the front wheels which is when everything is worn out at the front and a kind of harmonic shake can be induced.

What my brother was trying to prevent is "bump steer". Because the transverse leaf spring on the Ford is not located very well in relation to the chassis, when the car takes a dip or a big bump, the chassis and the axles move in different directions, and unfortunately the drag link is connected to both, which makes the car steer on its own. The Panhard bar keeps the chassis and the axle better aligned.

I hope I've got the theory right!

Cheers, Tom.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Tacoma Bob

MMMM I don't see anything new here as street rodders have been doing these for years. I spy a reversed spring eye with what appears to be a shackle in contact with the axle. Don't mean to spit in anyone's cherios but this seems to be an elaborate band aide.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob View Post
MMMM I don't see anything new here as street rodders have been doing these for years. I spy a reversed spring eye with what appears to be a shackle in contact with the axle. Don't mean to spit in anyone's cherios but this seems to be an elaborate band aide.
Bob -I agree after looking at the photos. This is probably why his car "bump steers" itself.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
George Miller

Tom Walker

that is a Neat way to do it.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
Tom Walker

Ouch I can see I did nt quite get that rights!. And I know I should nt be here with a V8 in my avatar thing, but the FB has given me so much great stuff in the last 2 years, When I thought we had come up with something genuinely useful, I was quite excited to get it out there.
Its probably not new or acceptable to those with totally original cars, but hopefully someone may be able to use it
Cheers Tom.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #11
gilitos

Tom, the panhard was executed beautifully. If these sorts of suspension control mods were of no use, then we wouldn't see them on almost every transverse spring Ford that has been modified for real performance (refer to the Bishop-Tardel A-V8 as a well documented example). The unconstructive and negative responses that your wonderful post received are unfortunately typical of this board (and many others). It's why I generally only lurk and rarely post. Human nature is strange. The anonymity of these discussion boards seems to bring out the worst in people who would probably be perfectly civil in person.
gilitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

They absolutely work in stabilizing the car. They do that by covering up defects in the front end.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:53 PM   #13
Pete

Quote"[A potential fault in the design is that a PB should be as long as possible, and would normally have a mounting bracket on one chassis side, with the axle mount as far over the other side as possible. He didn't want to use a chassis bracket, it would have to be too big and ugly. It turns out this design is very discreet, and it works absolutely fine.]"Quote

Right, on the bar being as long as possible.
Wrong, on the chassis bracket being big and ugly. (if done right)
Wrong, on working fine. You have not compared it to a properly engineered one on the same car.
The basic idea of the parts used is good though.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:54 AM   #14
colin1928

Thanks for posting I have a longer heim jointed panhard rod off the spring perch to the opposite rail on my personal A
More control makes for a safer car for me and others on the road
Something everyone should consider
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:20 AM   #15
Growley bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Walker View Post
There is a deal of discussion re the benefits or other wise of Panhard Bars and Sway Bars. My brother found his Model A would dart sideways on a rough road. (Theres plenty round here!). Most folk seem to come down on front sway, rear Panhard. My bro wanted to try front Panhard, his theory is the front axle sideways movement gives the worst effect.

This is his solution. This uses Model A track rod, shortened to suit, complete with at least one adjustable end. 2 weld-in track rod balls. Piece of 3/8" or 10mm mild steel plate. A block of steel roughly 1"x 1.5" x 3", drilled and tapped 2 holes 3/8 x 16. Also drilled in the centre for the weld-in ball.

The steel block sits in the axle web, so needs hand fitting by grinding a big bevel on 2 of the long adjacent shoulders. Just to make it snug.

A potential fault in the design is that a PB should be as long as possible, and would normally have a mounting bracket on one chassis side, with the axle mount as far over the other side as possible. He didnt want to use a chassis bracket, it would have to be too big and ugly. It turns out this design is very discreet, and it works absolutely fine.

When cutting the steel plate for the piece that "drops" the ball from the spring plate, just ensure that the ball ends up as close to the centre of the axle (up and down), as you can.

For the purposes of carrying out this job, the spring bracket can simply be removed from the spring, just dont drive off in the meantime!

It works perfectly, is almost invisible, and has completely got rid of the death lunges!

cheers, Tom.
Very well done. An idea that works this well is to me a real accomplishment. You and your brother do good work. Thanks for sharing,

Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #16
Neal

Tom, Thank you for the post. I need a panhard bar in the back of a '35 and like what you did. Gives me an idea.

Neal
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #17
Tom Walker

Hi Neal
If you come up with a solution, please share it as I want to do one on the rear of my '32. We have looked at the rear already, and its not anything like as easy as the front. The diff housing is in the way!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #18
Rex_A_Lott

I like the fact that to the average person it looks like it belongs there, unlike the aftermarket shock thing that some have. If it makes it feel/drive better in your mind, then more power to you. Thanks for the post.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #19
Tom Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_A_Lott View Post
I like the fact that to the average person it looks like it belongs there, unlike the aftermarket shock thing that some have. If it makes it feel/drive better in your mind, then more power to you. Thanks for the post.
Thanks Rex, using the Model A parts to make the thing helps it blend in. (Having the bits under the bench helped too!)
Old 05-03-2014, 06:48 AM   #20
blgitn

Tom,

That blends right in, looks great and I'm sure it helps with shackle swing when you're trying to keep up with traffic! Let us know what you do in the back: Have you seen the commercially available ones?

R/ Roger.
blgitn is offline   Reply With Quote