Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-26-2023, 03:28 PM   #1
Uncle Bob

Default Radiator splash apron 1932 question

I guess I've led a sheltered life. The only '32 splash aprons I recall seeing were slightly V'd from flat, but I must admit I don't often look very closely. I just got a new to me '32 sedan and it has a "bubble" in the center portion of the apron. It's a B not a V8; is that the difference? Or something else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 sedan 11.jpg (51.0 KB, 133 views)
Old 02-26-2023, 03:32 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Radiator splash apron 1932 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I guess I've led a sheltered life. The only '32 splash aprons I recall seeing were slightly V'd from flat, but I must admit I don't often look very closely. I just got a new to me '32 sedan and it has a "bubble" in the center portion of the apron. It's a B not a V8; is that the difference? Or something else?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 03:59 PM   #3
Newc

That would have fit my B pickup better than the v'd repros. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 05:00 PM   #4
DavidG

B or V8, no '32 was built with an apron shaped like the one in your photo. That must have been a bit of a challenge to create given the lips on the apron at the top and bottom.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 07:24 PM   #5
Uncle Bob

Well David, I had thought you might dazzle me with some nugget that this was a rare early production idea that faded away. Your comment about the rolled lip, and my need to do other further inspection underneath, caused me to look at it from another angle. Pic below, my guess now is that it was center punched on an obstruction of some sort down very low with minimal damage to the rolled lip, but looking at the gap to the pad that separates the the bottom of the rad shell the "bubble" is the result of the shield being bent back. It's only about an inch from the axle. The side buckles though are so uniform it's uncanny.................really looks like a stamping outcome.

I will say there is some beauty to the underside of the of this car. No evidence of repair and the frame rails have absolutely no pitting wherever accessible. I'm not going to remove anything that would allow inspection under the webbing where there must be some deterioration, but for what can be accessed it's really nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 sedan 12.jpg (70.0 KB, 101 views)
Old 02-26-2023, 09:10 PM   #6
DavidG

Clearly man made, but in the unintentional sense of the word. Fortunately whatever the car ran into was low enough that it missed the radiator shell itself. It is uncanny that the impact was dead center. In the right hands, it is definitely repairable.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 09:56 PM   #7
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Well David, I had thought you might dazzle me with some nugget that this was a rare early production idea that faded away. Your comment about the rolled lip, and my need to do other further inspection underneath, caused me to look at it from another angle. Pic below, my guess now is that it was center punched on an obstruction of some sort down very low with minimal damage to the rolled lip, but looking at the gap to the pad that separates the the bottom of the rad shell the "bubble" is the result of the shield being bent back. It's only about an inch from the axle. The side buckles though are so uniform it's uncanny.................really looks like a stamping outcome.

I will say there is some beauty to the underside of the of this car. No evidence of repair and the frame rails have absolutely no pitting wherever accessible. I'm not going to remove anything that would allow inspection under the webbing where there must be some deterioration, but for what can be accessed it's really nice.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote