Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default Mom's Last Model A Ride

Thanks to all for your condolences. My mom passed just before Christmas, but the funeral was postponed to coincide with the family reunion and dad's hometown 125th celebration. This was my mom's last ride and I regret it was mom's only ride in my Phaeton. I drove mom to church one time in my 29 Tudor, and I still wonder if she wasn't more embarrassed than thrilled about that short ride?

Before my dad passed he asked me one time when I was going to bring my Model A home. Regretfully I never got it home in time to give dad a ride.

I wish I had brought my Model A home and worked on it right away rather than let it just sit in storage for years. It's much better to get your cars on the road, and treat your friends and family to rides, than to live a life of regret.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
Ted in MN

Default Re: Mom's Last Model A Ride

Tom,
Sorrry to hear about your mother. That's a fitting picture at the cemetery with the phaeton and shovel.
Thanks for reminding us all to not put off completing our dreams.
Ted Waldo, President
Lady Slipper A's
Ted in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
Michael in Sedona

Wow, a most sobering photo. I'm very sorry about your loss.
Michael in Sedona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted in MN View Post
Thanks for reminding us all to not put off completing our dreams.
This is good advice. In my job I have attended hundreds of deathbed confusions No one ever wishes they had spent more time at work . They always wish they had chased there dreams. Every time I deal with them I tell myself to enjoy what I have -It normally lasts a week and then I revert back to my normal workaholic self . Sorry about your loss Tom.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:11 AM   #5
Don/WI

Tom, again, my condolences and thanks for the reminder. A fitting picture for the occasion. Don/WI
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:37 AM   #6
Craig Lewis

Very well said Tom. Your Mom would be proud.
I also find it hard to put my own project before everyday work. It's easy to look around and find a hundred other priorities.
I really marvel at the guys who manage to put together a Model A in 1 year or less.
Maybe we can form a support group for the Model A challenged...and talk about things
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:45 AM   #7
scokeing

Tom,
My deepest condolences on your loss.
Your comments are so true, enjoy life to the fullest possible with your family and friends. It is very interesting how a machine, like your Model A, can bring so many people together and provide so much enjoyment.
Regards
Scott
scokeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:18 AM   #8
Kevin - Illinois

Tom,
Condolences to you & your family from the Mikesell's.
Kevin - Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:42 AM   #9
Patrick L.

We're sorry to hear about your mom Tom.. Very nice post and picture.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:03 AM   #10
2manycars

That is good advice we can all use. Life is much shorter than we think, and as we get older we begin to understand that. When my father was in hospital dyeing almost 30 years ago, he said to me "dont wait until you retire to have fun. Have your fun now". For years I had FUN NOW on the licence plate of my 48 ford. I spend a lot of time with my kids and friends now, and take a model A ride almost every night. Work can wait. Here is a photo of pops and ma and my little brother from 1965.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:38 AM   #11
Barry B./ Ma.

A very nice tribute to your mom Tom. I'm sure she enjoyed her ride in your phaeton.
Great picture.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #12
1931 flamingo

Tom, my condolences to you and yours.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:57 AM   #13
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

Sorry for you lost tom, I too lost my mom, trying very hard to get my dad into a 30 Tudor, your right time is not your friend do it now
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #14
Mitch Bunkin in PA

Tom: You are in my thoughts. It's never easy losing a loved one. Hopefully, the memories you have will continue to enrich your life.
Kindest regards.
Mitch

"Most people ONLY want to know
what they already believe and
nothing more."
Mitch Bunkin in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #15
Ken/SC

Tom,
My condolences on the loss of your mom. I lost my Mother, Oldest Sister, and My Dad in 2006 in 5 months. COPD, Heart attack, and Cancer in that order, so I know what you are going through. Suddenly your priorities in life change. My dad knew I always liked old cars and old things especially Model A's. But up to that point I never had one, could not justify the cost with 2 daughters and a wife. After my parents passed I suddenly had the money to buy my A. Although my family thought I was nuts at the time. So in 2007 I bought my first A. I look at it as a gift from my parents. I have enjoyed it more than I ever did a new car. Your in my prayers.
Ken/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #16
Freddie (Memphis)

I'm so very sorry about your Mother, Tom...but she's with your Father now, and they're both healthy, young, and without pain and suffering again. I hope you find peace in knowing and believing that.

As others have said...life's all too short when you get right down to it. Like Jimmy Buffet says..."twenty four hours..maybe sixty good years....it's really not that long to stay...". Unfortunately, I bought my A after I had lost both of my parents....Mom in 2001, and Dad in 2002. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of them and miss them both.

I'm sure both of them would have approved of the A, though... They had an old Dodge (a '33, I think) not long after they were married. They both used to laugh and talk about Mom having to push it off when the battery would go flat...they couldn't afford a new one at the time, so Dad would have to come back inside some cold mornings and ask her to push it off so he could go to work. Life was a lot more simple then...

I'm truly sorry for your loss, Tom...and I'm so very glad you shared the picture with us all...

Guys... if your parents are still with us...call 'em up and tell them how much you love them, will ya? I'd give my left leg to be able to call mine!

I'm still doin' the rhumba, Baby...I just can't seem to quit. If momma catches us doin' the rhumba....momma would just pitch a fit. I can't help myself....it's much bigger than me. If I were you I'd hang on to a rhumba man like me...!
Freddie (Memphis) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #17
Tacoma Bob

Tom.......don't let the could of beens and shoulda beens dominate you. It looks as though you are very blessed with with a wonderful family. Condolences to you Tom and in the near future may you be blessed with many warm memories.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #18
Model A Speedster

Tom, I only know you through your posts, but I'm sorry to hear about your mother. It's a good bet she was proud of her family. Your picture is worth a thousand words. Hang in there - you are not alone.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #19
Earle

Tom, so sorry to hear about your Mom. What an appropriate and yet beautiful photo. It says so much.

My parents passed away in 2001 & 2002. Before they left us, they did get to enjoy the Roadster. My Dad found it in the PA "Dutch Country" (Renningers) in 1984 after a long search for same kind of car he had dated my future Mom with in 1940. We had a good (and often trying) time "restoring" it together. We probably would not have had the opportunity to spend so much treasured "bonding time" together if it weren't for that sorry-looking car we "rescued."

In Mom and Dad's absence, I take every opportunity to share the joy and nostalgia that these old cars bring to the older generations. - Shows, parades, tours, etc. I had a particularly fantastic time last weekend taking the car to a local "senior retirement community" car show. The folks came out in droves to look at the cars and share their own stories. These dear people were more interested and had more fun than any other show for "the general public" I've ever been to.

AND, I spent the afternoon giving rides (front seat and rumble seat) to one after another of them as they eagerly lined up. Seeing their smiles and hearing their old car memories more than made my day. A couple of them referred to "rumble seat memories" that they chose not to go into detail about!

This is why we have our cars and go to the cost and effort to preserve this history isn't it? If we do it only for our own pleasure, we're missing something.

By the way, when I got home, this finiky old perfectionist, actually enjoyed wiping off the smudges and fingerprints left by my precious passengers! - recalling the old folk that each print belonged to. AND - I could swear, after I was finished, I heard a faint voice coming from inside the empty car saying - "When can we do that again?!"

Soon....very soon...

Earle
Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #20
Ron/IA

Tom, my sincere condolenses on the passing of your parents. I was very fortunate to have spent time with both Dad and Mom and my Model A. Dad and I went to a farm sale, purchased the 4-door, restored it to driving condition, and used it on many tours, parades, day & evening drives, etc. I was 19-years old that sale day; so we spent 40-plus years enjoying the car together before his passing.

Tom, as stated above, don't worry about what could have been; we can only do our best to plan the future we want to remember. If that includes doing something with one's parents, great! But life does plot our course from day to day, so do your best and be respectful and congenial.

Mom grew up driving a Model A, she knows what they take to operate. Physically she cannot get in and out of the A anymore. But she is always in attendance to watch it drive by. That is going to happen tomorrow at my home town's annual summer celebration.

When I am out driving the A for pleasure; one of my favorite stops is the local micro-brewery for an adult beverage. People from all over the US stop at that brewery, and the A always brings out a comment. My reply to those kind comments is "Do you want to go for a ride?" When I and my passenger get back, they buy me that beverage, and we discuss old cars. You know who taught me to give others a ride in the A? My Dad!

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote