Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
DICK SPADARO

Default Does lack of an 800 Telephone number deter ordering from parts houses?

Hi guys this is like a survey. I'd appreciate some input.

Most of us in business have an 800 style number to help generate business but the question is now becoming to what extent is it a help or liability. Since the expansion of cellular phone use it appears that most people now use their cell phones to make calls and most people have unlimited calling plans or even bundled unlimited packaged plans combined with internet use.

Whether you know it or not if you use your cell phone to make a call on an 800 number you are billing the owner of the 800 number for the call that is being placed on your unlimited call account for the time duration. Your call may use up some of your minutes but the 800 owner pays for accepting it, so you pay in minutes, 800 owner pays in cash like a little double dip.

This was brought up by another business associate when we were discussing expenses incurred in doing business as an area that needed to be addressed. Since the cost of an 800 number is factored into the cost of goods sold would it be better to eliminate the free phone number to help cut down a business expense and use this as a way to control price inflation on products meaning a potential of less inflation on parts prices. Or do you need the toll free number to be the significant motivational factor for you to purchase from a vendor?

What is your take on this? 800#Important to have or no, 800# not that important.

Thanks for your thoughts, DS
Old 03-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: Does lack of an 800 Telephone number deter ordering from parts houses?

I go along with eliminating the 800 #.
deuce lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
dean333

Send a message via Yahoo to dean333
Default Re: Does lack of an 800 Telephone number deter ordering from parts houses?

I agree that most of us do use our cell phones. The 800 number does not motivate me to call a vendor but that's the number most prominently advertised. I would still call if I didn't have an 800 number.
dean333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
trainguy

Dick,Evreything being equal a 800 number can be a tie breaker.A 800 number wouldn't tempt me to order from a questionable vendor.Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
V8 Bob

The 800 number is not important with my phone service any longer.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #6
Kube

Like others, I too feel an 800 number would not make a difference in whether or not I called a reputable business.
IF on the other hand, I called to walk through those darn recorded messages guiding me to press this and press that and / or be put on hold, well, yeah, I would probably look elsewhere.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
super flat

Dick, it is not a deal breaker for me,I do not look for that as a must! cancel is my vote. Gary
Old 03-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Although most of my cold contacts come from the internet, each new client is worth so much that I easily justify the expense of a toll free number for the few that call me on it. When I compare the money I make off of it to the cost of it the return is enormous.

My 2¢
Aren't you the guy (attorney) that specializes in getting folks on to disability?
Old 03-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
Mike in Mass

Hey Dick ,I can,t remember the last time I used an 800 number,,Its been a while I will say it was probably to call back a bill collector some how it makes me feel good ! Allso I find that when I do use a 800 number for some cross country order ,they will rush you off the phone with quick answers, Iyhink its a generational thing ,older people like/use it younger people could care less mp
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #10
Shadetree

Our home phone has unlimited long distance too, so it makes no difference here. I never thought about it before.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #11
oldford2

Dick,
On the orders I have placed with you I always call direct and not on your 800#. That way I know I can talk to you or ? since I always have questions about an order. We have unlimited cell and home phone service so a "free" call doesn't make any difference.
Always a pleasure to get parts from you.
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #12
TJ

I have unlimited long distance on my phone, so it's not a problem for me if the vendor does not have an 800 number. The 800 number usually gets you the "phone tree", but the regular number usually gets you a real person. I base my purchases on being able to ask questions to a real person and if that person is knowledgeable about the product. If getting rid of the 800 number saves you money, go for it.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #13
oldford2

Talking Re: Does lack of an 800 Telephone number deter ordering from parts houses?

Re: Does lack of an 800 Telephone number deter ordering from parts houses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry
Although most of my cold contacts come from the internet, each new client is worth so much that I easily justify the expense of a toll free number for the few that call me on it. When I compare the money I make off of it to the cost of it the return is enormous.

My 2¢

Aren't you the guy (attorney) that specializes in getting folks on to disability?

O K Kube, now be nice, Ryan may be watching. You know what happened to your friend Ken
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #14
Mike51Merc

As cheap as long distance calling has become, 800 numbers are not important anymore.

I remember when a $5.00 long distance phone call was a VERY big deal. Now it costs pennies.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #15
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

How many customers don't have or don't use an email address or paypal??
Those things might correlate with slightly old fashioned perspectives on phone use.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #16
Vic Piano

Keeping the thread on the subject of early V8 Fords, a lot of the related businesses have an 800 or toll free phone number reserved for ordering parts, while they have a regular phone number for tech support, etc. In a niche market like vintage Ford parts, I would not be put off if a vendor did not have a toll free number to call.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #17
Kruzn40

Most of my parts orders are done via the internet. But if I needed to speak with someone I have no problem calling a toll number at a reliable business to order quality parts at a fair price. Good parts that fit trump the 800 number every time.
Kruzn40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
Don

Unlimited calling on land line ..
Old 03-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #19
Fourdy

I am happy to call with my cell.

Fourdy
Fourdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #20
swedishsteel

An easily navigated website is more important to me than an 800 number. If a vendor has what I need the phone number doesn't matter. However, if I'm searching for a part and the website says they have it but I have to enter the year and model and make, etc, etc of the vehicle I'm working on, I don't bother. Direct answer to your question--no an 800 number doesn't influence whether I call or not--if you have what I'm looking for, I'll call if need be. Rod
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote