Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2015, 07:19 AM   #1
GB SISSON

Default I'm Biased

Seen at a recent meeting. " My name is Gary and I'm a tire collector"...... I was at a scrapyard a few years back when scrap was sky high and they were getting lots of junkers. Tires were everywhere and the owner said I could have these 7.50 x 16s if I wanted them. I just mounted them yesterday on some 16" innie wheels for one of my half tons. I just love looking at them so I rolled them into the living room for the evening and I needed something to photograph anyway to test out a used camera lense I had just gotten in the mail. My wife is very patient with me. Oh and I also came across a photo of the 4 7.50 x 17s I found on CL last month. I need to go back to tire company ashtray collecting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new lense 7.50 x 16 023.jpg (66.5 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg 4 coursers.jpg (84.6 KB, 163 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:41 AM   #2
Sid the Maineiac

Default Re: I'm Biased

Nice find !!At the price of good tires today you got a real steal !!Good on ya !!
Sid the Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #3
Ford Freak

Good Find ! Yes , tire ashtrays are a lot easier to carry & take up a lot less storage space !
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:36 PM   #4
Mike in AZ

what brand are the tires in the second pic?? are those the 17s??..thanks.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:08 AM   #5
truckdog62563

A few years ago a buddy and I were on a yard tour through KY and inside a shed at a yard we found a pile of tires destined for recycling that had to be 20' high. At the top were four good Courser 7.50-17" tractions, just like your pictured set, Gary. I climbed that pile and fed them down to my buddy. They got added to my two NOS Courser Traction sets pulled from a warehouse in Alton, IL, and from a barn on a separate trip to Lexington, KY.

But maybe there is hope for me. A couple weeks ago I sold all my NOS 8-19.5" bias ply tractions to a museum. That gives me space for a set of 7.50-18" bias tractions to go on the set of 18" Budds a Ford Barn member sent me that same week.

Is there a Central States Chapter of Bias Tire Collectors Anonymous? "Hi, my name is Stu....".
Old 10-09-2015, 12:09 AM   #6
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
what brand are the tires in the second pic?? are those the 17s??..thanks.....Mike
Courser is brand. Yes, the 7.50 x 17s. Only 7.50 x 17 traction available anymore is the tournel. It is a good tire, but the tread pattern isn't as old skool as these. I new pair of 7.50 x 17" tournels came on a recently acquired tonner pickup project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg courser side.jpg (66.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1032.jpg (56.7 KB, 49 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 10-09-2015, 06:23 AM   #7
Bill

Ya ya the tires are nice but I want to see a better picture of that woodstove in the background. It's gorgeous... load er up! Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #8
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdog62563 View Post
A few years ago a buddy and I were on a yard tour through KY and inside a shed at a yard we found a pile of tires destined for recycling that had to be 20' high. At the top were four good Courser 7.50-17" tractions, just like your pictured set, Gary. I climbed that pile and fed them down to my buddy. They got added to my two NOS Courser Traction sets pulled from a warehouse in Alton, IL, and from a barn on a separate trip to Lexington, KY.

But maybe there is hope for me. A couple weeks ago I sold all my NOS 8-19.5" bias ply tractions to a museum. That gives me space for a set of 7.50-18" bias tractions to go on the set of 18" Budds a Ford Barn member sent me that same week.

Is there a Central States Chapter of Bias Tire Collectors Anonymous? "Hi, my name is Stu....".
Looks like Stu and I were writing at the same time! Stu, I was wondering if the Fordbarn was ready for my version of Rodgers and Hamersteins's 'My favorite things', (with apologies to Julie Andrews)......While it's normally a Christmas tradition at ' Ford Truck Enthusiasts', The first verse may be appropriate here if I can remember it.

One tons with split rims and bias ply tires, Six volt ignitions and cloth covered wires, full floating axles with overload springs, these are a few of my favorite things'. See why we need meetings?

Last edited by GB SISSON; 10-09-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:20 AM   #9
truckdog62563

When I visited the Olga, WA, chapter of Bias Plies Anonymous a couple years ago I sure got a total immersion into the extremes of the obsession. I now hear there is being formed an Olga chapter of Jail Bars Anonymous. Would you know anything about that? Stu
Old 10-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #10
GB SISSON

Smile Re: I'm Biased

I can handle having six jailbar trucks and enough parts to make a couple more, . Besides I could quit whenever I want to..... Do trailers made with tonner axles and wheels count? Oh, and the woodstove is a very pragmatic design. The heat resistant glass window behind the cast elm tree is a common pyrex pie plate, available in any hardware store for about 5 bucks. If it were manufactured today, the designer would have worked in an an odd sized window, only available from 'Vermont Iron Stove works' for 75 bucks. The body of the stove is a section of 18" , 1/4" wall pipe. It was built in '81 when I built my house. Ok, can I go to work now?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ravin and Stove 008.jpg (54.3 KB, 89 views)
Old 10-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #11
Tinker

Great truck tires! Nice stove too!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:50 PM   #12
38 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Looks like Stu and I were writing at the same time! Stu, I was wondering if the Fordbarn was ready for my version of Rodgers and Hamersteins's 'My favorite things', (with apologies to Julie Andrews)......While it's normally a Christmas tradition at ' Ford Truck Enthusiasts', The first verse may be appropriate here if I can remember it.

One tons with split rims and bias ply tires, Six volt ignitions and cloth covered wires, full floating axles with overload springs, these are a few of my favorite things'. See why we need meetings?

You know if you admit too much they may politely invite us to stay over at FTE right? Either that or we all get a reputation for being "harmless".
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:14 PM   #13
Mike in AZ

thanks for the answer about the tires....sorry it took so long to say thanks.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:44 PM   #14
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
thanks for the answer about the tires....sorry it took so long to say thanks.....Mike
Quite alright. It gave Stu and I a chance to catch up about our favorite subject. Tires.
Stu and I go 'both ways'. You are as likely to find us on FTE as the Fordbarn.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:55 PM   #15
truckdog62563

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Stu and I go 'both ways'. You are as likely to find us on FTE as the Fordbarn.
Sure glad you clarified that! Stu
Old 10-21-2015, 06:48 AM   #16
RobR'35

Great tires and stove!
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:44 AM   #17
jacob smith

my wife said there is no way in hell that i can dring my tires in the house. Even if i have a nice stove like that. Some guys have all the luck.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #18
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob smith View Post
my wife said there is no way in hell that i can dring my tires in the house. Even if i have a nice stove like that. Some guys have all the luck.

She's a keeper for sure.