Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2014, 11:29 PM   #1
Ed Wendell

Default Opionion on chickasha swap meets

A question for those who have been to the Chickasha swap meets. Chickasha has two different swap meets in the spring, one in March and one in May. If you could go to only one of them, which one would it be and why.
Thanks,
Ed
Ed Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:09 AM   #2
willowbilly3

Default Re: Opionion on chickasha swap meets

haven't been to Chickasha for a few years but all of them were great. I always found plenty of old stuff at any of the 3, but the prewar would be best if only looking for A stuff. Decatur Texas was always a good meet too, like Chickasha, just the right size.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:51 AM   #3
Rowdy
BANNED

Thinking strongly about going this March. Have a ton of T parts to get rid of and afew parts to look for. Will have to wait until Feb to make a final call as much will depend on when others use up their time off. Likely will leave to come home mid afternoon on Friday. Drove home in a blizzard last time. Not alot of fun. Rod
Old 10-30-2014, 06:49 AM   #4
newshirt

The pre-war Chickasha meet in March is the best I've ever been to. There is absolutely no modern stuff. Plenty of A vendors. Big event.

Definitely arrive at 5 PM Thursday. That's when it really starts. Sat morning is mop up.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

S
Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
The pre-war Chickasha meet in March is the best I've ever been to. There is absolutely no modern stuff. Plenty of A vendors. Big event.

Definitely arrive at 5 PM Thursday. That's when it really starts. Sat morning is mop up.
I agree. Last year was my first and I will do my best to never miss it in the future.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #6
Roadster62

I'd like to hit a few of these famous swap meets, what is the standard plan, were do you fly into and stay? Bob
Old 10-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #7
Rowdy
BANNED

If you were flying in OKC would be best. We usually stay in ElReno, but I seen last spring the motel we have stayed at in the past was destroyed by the tornado. Hopefully they rebuilt it. Rod
Old 10-30-2014, 07:38 AM   #8
wrndln

A friend and I attended the spring Chickasha swap meet this year for the first time. We were both disappointed at the lack of model A items. There were tons of T stuff. I understand that some years there are more or less A and more or less T parts and maybe we just hit a bad year for A parts. The weather was great in Oklahoma, especially coming from the frozen tundra of Minnesota. We both felt we wouldn't go back since it was over 800 miles with so few A parts being sold. However, it was nice to see almost all old auto parts and not the crafts, junk tools and other non-car related stuff that many of the other swap meets I have been to have in abundance.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #9
emf

I'm not sure I would ever go back. The year we went, there seemed to be two different swap areas, mostly T parts. The inside booths were full of new reproduction or newly rebuilt parts that could be purchased through a catalog and the outside vendors generally had parts that looked like they were rescued from a creek bed. For me, it was very disappointing.

Frank
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:00 AM   #10
Roadster62

Thanks Frank, Maybe Bakersfield, Ca. is the swap meet I should be saving for. Bob
Old 10-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

My take on Chickasha is much like any other swap meet of modern era. How you determine its rating is by defining what your goals are. If you are solely coming to find needed parts you hope will be there, your chances will likely not play into your favor. If you have 'networked' prior to the meet and are having those items delivered, it is different. If you are coming just for the fellowship and experience with others where it doesn't bother you to spend $500-$1,000 to attend, you will enjoy it. If you are coming to 'pick' a bargain, it is unlikely it will still be a bargain after the lodging & travel expenses are factored in.

If you are within a 150 mile radius, it IS a wonderful swap meet, -no matter if it is 0 degrees outside with it pouring snow.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #12
Tom Foster

I went this year, first time. The vendors get there on Wednesday afternoon and trades were happening before we even got inside the grounds. As stated, this year it was about 65-70% T stuff, but there were notable A bargains. Beautiful '30 coupe for $11,500, drive it home today. Used shocks, Winfield carbs, on and on. If you needed a radiator shell for your 1914 Stoddard Dayton, that was the place to be. But most folks were packed and leaving by Friday afternoon.
Tom Foster is offline   Reply With Quote