Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2022, 10:42 AM   #21
Scott52

Default Re: Cartouche gone, where to get upholstery

One guys story. I was planning to recover the seats in my 1952 Crestline. I planned to find a period looking fabric. SMS Auto Fabrics had a selection of fabrics for various makes and models and I got samples from them. Took awhile as I asked for over a dozen. I spoke to the owner who is not a spring chicken. He asked what I was working on and I sent him a photo of the original material. He had it, not on the website. I bought enough to get the job done. My niece actually moved within 10 miles of him in Canby, Or. I did an RV road trip about 5 months after I purchased the material and picked it up. They had it and looks great. My wife is going to sew the covers and we bought a couple of used commercial sewing machines. We just got our extra living space back after my parents moved in with us so we could take care of them for the rest of their lives. Then my son moved back in after a divorce. He has just moved on. My wife now has her sewing room and I guess we can start the job in January. Try SMS, I read they are hard to deal with but I was more than satisfied. The way things are going, any lead is a good one.
Scott52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:52 AM   #22
T Scott

If one could get ahold of Dave Trank he might offer an update on this. He was the go to guy at Cartouche and I think quite knowledgeable. I did two 34's with Cartouche kits and during the process Dave was quite helpful. Although these kits were not quite on par with Lebarron Bonney I was still pleased with them and would buy again.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:05 PM   #23
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Scott View Post
If one could get ahold of Dave Trank he might offer an update on this. He was the go to guy at Cartouche and I think quite knowledgeable. I did two 34's with Cartouche kits and during the process Dave was quite helpful. Although these kits were not quite on par with Lebarron Bonney I was still pleased with them and would buy again.
I could be wrong but I think they let Dave go. They supposedly fired most all the Cartouche staff. The company that bought them, Turn5 Productions, does not care about Early Fords. They are into lifted F100's and Broncos. I therefore do not care about lifted F100's or the yuppie, hipster bunch that overpays for early Broncos.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 07:22 AM   #24
Mike in Mass

My kit arrived late October. 1939 picup. Glad I pulled the trigger when I did . Still. In the box but at least I have it .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221020_195457.jpg (113.9 KB, 21 views)
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 03:54 PM   #25
supereal

If you have the original piece, a good auto trim shop can duplicate it. When restoring any vehicle, always save anything you remove, even battered or torn ones for this reason.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:30 PM   #26
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Mass View Post
My kit arrived late October. 1939 picup. Glad I pulled the trigger when I did . Still. In the box but at least I have it .
Do NOT store it in the box. Unfold the material pieces as best you are able.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:59 PM   #27
DavidG

Mike,

Good advice! it also applies to rubber floor mats whether NOS or reproduction if they are kept in other than a loose roll.

Last edited by DavidG; 01-15-2023 at 06:37 AM. Reason: word tense
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 02:57 AM   #28
The Liberator

Darn, right when I was thinking of ordering a kit too. Sad to hear these companies closing down.
The Liberator is offline   Reply With Quote