Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
41panelmark

Default Found the problem

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this. My 41 1.5 ton truck had been sitting since 1973 and I recently got it running but with a miss. I did a compression check today, all the cylinders were within a few pounds of each other but I found number 7 at 0. Well I thought I had a stuck valve or worse so I decided to pull the head and see. Sprayed some Kroil on the nuts that hold the head down every 10 minutes this morning while I was working on other projects and then took the nuts off. I could not get the head to budge so I put the nuts back on just 1/4" up from the head and started the engine. This got the head loose. I pulled the head and this is what I saw. Interesting hu?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09545 (800x600).jpg (381.9 KB, 506 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09544 (800x600).jpg (369.4 KB, 517 views)
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Found the problem

Broken valve seat?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
41panelmark

No it is in tact, just popped out of the recess.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
peewee2you

it looks to be that the one valve is out of round as well?
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:38 AM   #5
Karl Wolf

When you take it apart, check the size of the hole and the new seat, it may be possible to put in a new seat without any trouble. There will be a bit of damage at the top of where the seat presses into- If you want to feel better, you can peen around the new seat after install.

I made a guide from plumbing fixtures to put new seats in the engine that's in my avatar, all 16 of them. Worked well. I had new seats made, and if I told you the amount of interference I used, you would not believe me...

Ford doesn't call for very much, maybe .003 or .005- I don't really remember...

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:08 AM   #6
scooder

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Tell us what we won't believe.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:53 AM   #7
Mike51Merc

Those seats often fall out due to cracks in the block.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #8
chuck stevens

I had the same thing happen on my 47. I was a long way from home, so I took the go or blow attitude. I removed the head and took some pictures to my machinist. He came to my house and put an over-sized seat in and a matching valve. Buttoned her up, and have put thousands of miles on it since. The engine was a 52 RT. The over-sized valves are available at Speedway, very nice not to have to pull the engine. Chuck S.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #9
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

How are your pistons? The third from the left looks like it dealt with a weird burn pattern. Good luck with it, nothing like a little banger when all is good.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
s nichols

several flatheads i have taken apart have this problem
s nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #11
gearhead1952

The open valve on the end cylinder looks bent could be camera angle tho.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #12
Mart

I had that on my first flathead. I bougtht an oversized seat, improvised a cutting tool and carefully licked the od of the hole out. I froze the seat, warmed the block and got it into place. I probably had to hammer it in, also, can't quite remember now. I ground the valve in and set the gap and had no further problem from it.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #13
41panelmark

Well I bought a n.o.s. valve, guide assembly and clip today. I was wondering if you guys know of a cross over number for the seat, ( 40-6057-A )? Thought I might find one at Napa, if not I will order one. I have looked at some video on removing these things and I am a bit worried. I have the clip tool and the tool that lifts the valve but I don't have the tool that will pull the guide out if needed. (reminder) these are the valves that have the Hershey's Kiss end on them.

thoughts?
Old 03-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #14
41panelmark

I forgot to mention that the insides of the cylinders look a bit oily since I had put some MMO inside to be safe before the 1st start up. The valve may be ok but I don't know how long it was run that way so I am assuming that the seat and valve are both damaged. I have run the engine for about an hour so far between 1st start and a couple of runs around the block so I could have done even more damage or???

I am hoping I will have good luck getting the thing out and the new assembly in with out to much cussing. I could not find a specific video on removing and re-installing these kind of assemblies from 59aba in the vehicle with out a puller, I hope I have good luck on this.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #15
Mart

I don't know if they are commonly available but I was able to buy a seat that was a few thou oversize on the od, but stock in every other way.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #16
Ronnie

Yup easy to get an oversize seat.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #17
41panelmark

Picked up some more tools to do the valve guide pulling today from a friend who ended up with them in a purchase of an old Ford shop. 90 % of the tools were for model T and A but some were for the early v/8's and unfortunately he is not familiar with the use of the early v/8 tools.

I think I can figure it out by looking at them but I was wondering if anyone had any diagrams showing the use of the tools used in the process of pulling valves/guides.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #18
Karl Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41panelmark View Post
Well I bought a n.o.s. valve, guide assembly and clip today. I was wondering if you guys know of a cross over number for the seat, ( 40-6057-A )? Thought I might find one at Napa, if not I will order one. I have looked at some video on removing these things and I am a bit worried. I have the clip tool and the tool that lifts the valve but I don't have the tool that will pull the guide out if needed. (reminder) these are the valves that have the Hershey's Kiss end on them.

thoughts?
Seats can be bought by size, and hardened seats can be machined to a size on a lathe...

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #19
BrianCT

Since you have a new guide, I would remove the retainer from the bottom of the
spring and raise the valve up. Now you can drive the old guide down to loosen it.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #20
Ronnie

Valve seats in general are sold by size and not really application.
You probably have a seat that is 1.625" od 1.375" id and .2187" thick. That seat will have an interference fit about .006" The interference fit is in the seat size and not the finished valve seat pocket size.Manley number vs1525-1.Common normal seat over sizes can be .005" .010" .015" .020" and .030". Not all seats come in all over sizes .You now require the seat pocket in the block to be machined for an oversize seat.Not an easy task without proper tooling.Sure guy's have pounded seats in and got away with it but you should go to a machine shop (not a Napa store that can't help you because all they have is an electronic cat)and see what seats they can get for you. You will be better off than reading ton's of posts from guy's that haven't even seen a valve seat never mind having replaced one.You can also look at your old seat and determine why it came loose and take it to a shop get a replacement and install it stake it in place and now you need to grind the seat all this sounds like a walk in the park but not so. I'm sure Walt in his career has seen a couple of peened seats as well as Old Ron has a tale or too about valve seat experiences. Hope this helps to guide you down the valve seat replacement on your engine.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote