Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
My3window

Default 34 Experts: Interesting upholstery Question

Here is a question for all the 34 experts out there. I'm beginning to look at the options I may have for upholstering a 34 Deluxe three window. The 33-34 EFV8 Restoration Manual reads in its Interior Chapter that closed cars had a choice of Mohair or Broadcloth at no extra cost. However, later in the same restoration manual under "Appendix M" it lists several 33-34 Interior optional trim schemes taken from a book written by Francis and DeAngelis titled "The Early Ford V8 As Henry Built It". Upon reading the interior options listed in the later reference, a Ford customer could order a Deluxe Three Window with Copra Drab leather until May of 1934 and also in Taupe leather in May of 1934 and later.

Mohair can be prickly to sit on for long periods and it tends to mat down after some time. I have a 34 three window and would prefer to upholster my car in leather. My question is; which reference is correct? I may or may not decide to go for points in the long run but I still want to build a car that would have been correct.

Does anyone know of a 34 closed car with leather interior that was penalized at a judging event for having the leather? Any opinions on the subject will also be appreciated?

Thank you,
Tom
My3window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: 34 Experts: Interesting upholstery Question

Leather is an option for 32, 3-W as well as many other both Std and Dlx models in Copra Drab. See the second updates to the restoration book Chapter 14 p. 5.
According to Francis & DeAngelis the 34 3-W was available in Copra Drab Fine Colonial Grain leather or Artificial Leather starting in April 1933.
Before buying the leather or artificial leather you may want to contact Dave Rehor, I believe he may be able to shed more light on this subject.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
My3window

Thanks for the tip Terry. I contacted Dave Rehor and he believes the Francis and DeAngelis reference is the correct choice inasmuch as Dave knows the authors went through all the Ford Archives and microfilm to come up with their information for their book. Looks like I'll install leather in my coupe!
Tom
Old 03-20-2014, 03:33 AM   #4
gearhead1952

What is the color of Copra Drab? Never heard of it before.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:31 AM   #5
Terry,OH

What is Copra Drab?? Good question, Ford didn't seem to have upholstery swatches of their leather as LeBaron Bonney does. If someone had a preserved sample from their car upholstery, I guess this would be the best way to get the color for dye match. I believe this is what Le B has done over the years and yet I can not find it listed as one of their leather colors on their sample sheet, in talking to Roy Nacewicz he did this to get paint samples for color match that have wound up in a color library. You may try Doug at LeB B for his best match to Copra Drab.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
DavidG

Here are some photos of original copra drab upholstery material, both in artificial leather and leather. It was primarily used by Ford for deluxe phaetons and roadsters from '32 through mid-1934 when taupe was adopted for those applications for the remainder of the '34 model year. It was also available as an option for certain closed body types as well during those model years.

It is a two-tone black and olive green combination.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 171.jpg (122.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Book photos 172.jpg (41.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Book photos 133.jpg (81.7 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by DavidG; 03-20-2014 at 07:38 AM. Reason: additional information
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3window View Post
Here is a question for all the 34 experts out there. I'm beginning to look at the options I may have for upholstering a 34 Deluxe three window. The 33-34 EFV8 Restoration Manual reads in its Interior Chapter that closed cars had a choice of Mohair or Broadcloth at no extra cost. However, later in the same restoration manual under "Appendix M" it lists several 33-34 Interior optional trim schemes taken from a book written by Francis and DeAngelis titled "The Early Ford V8 As Henry Built It". Upon reading the interior options listed in the later reference, a Ford customer could order a Deluxe Three Window with Copra Drab leather until May of 1934 and also in Taupe leather in May of 1934 and later.

Mohair can be prickly to sit on for long periods and it tends to mat down after some time. I have a 34 three window and would prefer to upholster my car in leather. My question is; which reference is correct? I may or may not decide to go for points in the long run but I still want to build a car that would have been correct.

Does anyone know of a 34 closed car with leather interior that was penalized at a judging event for having the leather? Any opinions on the subject will also be appreciated?

Thank you,
Tom
My3Window ................
Here is a view of the original leather in my 1934 Phaeton. The back rest and the side panels are all original. The seat bottom was replaced and is a little darker.
MIKE (mikeburch)
CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE - Twice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1194.jpg (418.1 KB, 58 views)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
My3window

Thanks to all for your input, knowledge and photos. This is what makes this website so awesome.
Best regards to all!
Tom
Old 03-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
34ford

i think its mohar, or broadcloth,same original price with car. extra for the leather
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 161.jpg (117.5 KB, 17 views)
34ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #10
rotorwrench

The color copra drab always looked like a dark tarnished penny to me but the term has nothing to do with copper or bronze. I think the original color is based on the color of dried coconut meat and the word is from an old dialect from India. Dried coconut meat is a brownish color on the outside when removed from the shell.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote