Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
Ken Crans

Default F-1 3 Speed Trans help

I have my 3 speed on the bench and i have a few questions. I want to replace the bushings for the fork assy. for the throw out bearing but can't seem to figure out how to remove. i see a tapered pin holding the fork in place but installed from the backside. How do i get the pin out? Once i do that, the shaft will slide out and i can replace bushings.Also i have some play in the shifter and want to tighten. Thanks Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 Speed Trans 001.jpg (79.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 3 Speed Trans 002.jpg (84.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 3 Speed Trans 003.jpg (58.0 KB, 15 views)
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
Mart

Default Re: F-1 3 Speed Trans help

Ken, I did both of these jobs recently. This may not be the best way, but it worked for me.

Pin:
Centre punch the head of the pin. Drill a 1/4" hole down through the middle of the pin about 3/8". Drill carefully with a 3/8 drill until the head is removed. Don't go any further than that. If you are off centre, knock the head off with a chisel. Don't drill into the material of the fork.

Use a punch smaller than 1/4" to punch the pin through and out of the bottom of the fork.

Afterwards I replaced it with a suitable 5/16" bolt. Make sure the bolt has a long plain shank, trim the threads down to length if necessary and use a locking nut.

Shifter.

Look at the slot in the shifter and the little pin and the hole the pin sits in. Select a drill the next size up and drill the hole in the shifter tower oversize. Carefully grind the slot in the shifter out so the shank of the drill you just used slides through the slot without binding or being too loose.

Use a thin disc to cut the end of the drill off and use that as the new dowel pin.

I did this on my 33 and it worked well without using any special tools.

Like I say, maybe not the best way, but a way that will work.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
Ross F-1

The fork pin isn't tapered, it's peened on the ends. Check with MacVP, www.vanpeltsales.com, when I did mine the hardened replacement pins weren't available but he was looking for a source.

Last edited by Ross F-1; 03-15-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Ross F-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
svm99

After I drive the fork pin out I use a Grade 8 5/16" bolt x 2 3/4" long and cut off the excess thread, this way you will have full shank in the shaft and fork, tighten it very tight, you have an easy time removing it next time.

For the shifter I use a "F" size (.257") reamer to oversize the hole and then cut a pin from "F" size drill rod. This takes care of the oversize hole in the shift top and the shifter usually has enough wear in the slot to allow for the oversize, if not a quick dressing with a good mill file in the slot will open it up enough for the new oversize pin.

Good luck and have fun, Paul
svm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
Ken Crans

Thanks i will give it a shot and keep you posted..Thanks
Old 03-15-2014, 09:37 PM   #6
gearhead1952

You will have to replace the shaft as it will be worn along with the bushings so I cut the shaft in half with a grinder. I find it easier to remove the pin in the fork with it out of the trans.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:29 AM   #7
Ken Crans

So last night me and the son in law ripped into the trans and suprisied to find that all the gears are very nice.got the fork assy. out, found a long drift punch to remove pin to replace bushings. You guys are right the only thing we found was on the tower assy. the pin was worn as well as the slot, going oversize like suggested to fix. Will post pics later. Thanks