Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #21
Cartravel

Default Re: Buying an old flathead motor

Interisting to hear these stories that are similar to mine, so I won't bore you with it. It is too bad there are so many people willing to pay $800+ for an crap shoot. I long for the good old days when rodders gave them away to make room for a SBC. I could never see the challenge of going that route.
Cartravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:36 PM   #22
Bored&Stroked

How many times have we seen "It ran when taken out" . . . okay, then if it was such a good engine, why was it taken out?

I agree with most - if you can't really inspect the bores, deck/transfer area, pan rails, etc - then it truly is a crap shoot. Now I have worked deals with guys --> "I'll split the cost of hot-tanking and magnafluxing" - so we both know what we're selling or buying. This isn't a bad approach, though the engine needs to be taken apart (by somebody) and the bill afterwards will be at least $100.

In the end, you decide how much you invest . . . to reduce the 'crap shoot' risk! All of us would love to find $200 flathead cores with good blocks - but we hate when we invest 2 days taking them apart, then another $125 for hot-tanking and magnaflux, only to find yet another junk block.

If somebody is willing to sell and guarantee a good flathead block for anywhere near $500 to $750 - buy the damn thing! I'm sure I've spent many thousands of dollars trying to save hundreds of dollars of time, money and aggravation.

Be smart, buy cheap and pray . . . or pay more and put some guarantees on the table (whatever works for you).

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:11 AM   #23
Mike in Mass

I have been picking up flatheads whenever I can . most CL finds . They want 400 or 500 hundred but until I see them they are worth scrap price . .up here everything is rusty ,even if its been coverd it still sweats /rusts . I pay a couple hundred bucks tops for one that has everything still on it . . I got a 59 AB and a model A motor a couple weeks ago for 75 bucks they were outside with the holes blocked up from the mice . have no idea what the 4 banger is ,but ITS A FORD !. I just couldn,t leave it there all alone,in th woods ,
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #24
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Mass View Post
I have been picking up flatheads whenever I can . most CL finds . They want 400 or 500 hundred but until I see them they are worth scrap price . .up here everything is rusty ,even if its been coverd it still sweats /rusts . I pay a couple hundred bucks tops for one that has everything still on it . . I got a 59 AB and a model A motor a couple weeks ago for 75 bucks they were outside with the holes blocked up from the mice . have no idea what the 4 banger is ,but ITS A FORD !. I just couldn,t leave it there all alone,in th woods ,
Now that is the spirit - poor little engine with lots of squeeeeeeky little miceees running through it's guts . . . you saved their souls!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #25
john in illinois

I just bought an 81 221 and an 8ba for 75 each. Couldn't resist- 20 miles from home.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #26
Bassman/NZ

Ran when taken out..... yep, but HOW did it run? That is the question.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote