Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
Thegovernor

Default New guy!

Hello all my names Todd, Not sure if this is the right thread to introduce myself but Oh well here goes.... My pop passed recently and left with me his pride n joy 29 model A sport coupe that mom n me have been restoring all has been going well till I cranked the steering wheel something went "POP" and now I have about 20" of play in the wheel and shes no longer mobile. Im told I broke a gear and found a place to rebuild it Im just not sure how to get the steering box out do I need to remove the whole column? looks that way to me Sorry to come in asking favors you seem like a nice bunch any advice would be welcome Thanks..... Todd!
Thegovernor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:01 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: New guy!

Todd,

First of all...sorry about the passing of your father.

Second, yes, you will need to remove the complete sterring column from the car.

You must determine just as to WHY this happened in the first place. We would like to know. I wonder if it was just the steering shaft that broke?

There were two types of columns, the 7-tooth and the 2-tooth.

There are books in the hobby telling just how to restore both and if you do not have them, it would be a good idea that you get them.

One is the Les Andrews books and the other is the MARC/MAFCA Resteration Guidelines and Judging Standards for starters.

Welcome abord and YES...You have come to the right place! Don't feel sorry...as I said, this is the right place to ask questions about your Model A.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
pat in Santa Cruz

Hi Todd,
welcome to Ford Barn. Assuming you have diagnosed it correctly and the problem is in the box, yes it must come out. Now, if you are more interested in a driver than a correct original, looking for the later 2 tooth box will be the better idea. They adjust. The 7 tooth do not. 2 Tooth boxes are easier to set up too in that they do not require the shimming and fitting that the 7 tooth type do.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
nickair

Condolences for your Father. If not a show car, there is the f100 steering box upgrade made just for model A's. Claims of power steering easy. I would not know, only read about it. Just do a search on this great site. Lots of info.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
L.D.

I have 40 horses in the garage.
Only feed them when I want to take them out.

31 Model A Tudor 55B

Nick
nickair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:58 PM   #5
Jordan

Same thing happened to me once. The pitman arm bolt stripped and just needed to be replaced. This is super easy to check and won't require removing the steering column. This bolt needs to be super tight in order to get minimal play (With cotter pin installed).
Old 07-24-2014, 01:06 AM   #6
tbirdtbird
BANNED

"f100 steering box upgrade"
While this is indeed a nice upgrade, it is also very very pricey, and not needed.
For $35.00 you can get the shorter pitman arm, and the install is a literal 10 min. job, and it will steer like it has power steering. All the suppliers have it. It is a high quality forged alloy. There have been many discussions about this here, including one I started that was deleted for some reason. I also found the steering was more stable going down I-35 at 60 mph; the draft from the trailer trucks hardly bothered me at all. Some took issue with that stating it was not possible (ie I must be lying) and I am sure my response to that was why it was yanked.

And Nick, this shorter arm coincides with your view on simplicity!

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 07-24-2014 at 11:06 AM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:15 AM   #7
700rpm

Welcome! My advice to any new owner of these fine cars is, Go slowly for a more harmonious outcome.

But I would also advise you to include your location in your profile. There are probably many guys close to you who will be glad to help as you learn about your car, but they can't do it if they don't know you're close.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:19 AM   #8
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Thanks for adding that Ray, I had meant to include that. It is an all too often problem lately with ppl omitting their location
Old 07-24-2014, 05:16 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I would start by having someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you go below and look to see where the lost motion is. As Jordan said, it could be something simple.

Also, it's always best to turn the stering wheel only when the car is moving, even if it's only slowly and a few inches or feet. Otherwise turning the wheels puts a lot of stress on the parts, even on modern cars with power steering.

I also would go with the shorter pitman arm if you want easier steering.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:30 AM   #10
Ed Saniewski

Hey Gov, were are you located? As stated above this could be as simple as a broken bolt, or something worse. Maybe someone here might be close by and be able to take a look.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #11
mshmodela

Sorry for your loss of your Father. Enjoy that which was his but is now yours --you'll both still enjoy the car.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
Thegovernor

Wow thanks all for the welcome, Ill update my profile Im in Huntington Beach {California} when I move the wheel nothing moves past the steering box Im pretty sure its inside the box but yeah the shorter Pitman arm sounds like a good thing That would be great if there is someone from around here that can steer [Ha]me in the right direction Pop was a stickler for getting things done proper n I don't plan on changing that, The car has been in the family for 36 years the wife and I rode in the rumple seat at our wedding while he drove and I plan on doing the same with my kids and handing it down to them. Thanks everyone be pepared as Im sure Ill have plenty of questions for you all real soon!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:21 PM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegovernor View Post
Wow thanks all for the welcome, Ill update my profile Im in Huntington Beach {California} when I move the wheel nothing moves past the steering box Im pretty sure its inside the box but yeah the shorter Pitman arm sounds like a good thing That would be great if there is someone from around here that can steer [Ha]me in the right direction Pop was a stickler for getting things done proper n I don't plan on changing that, The car has been in the family for 36 years the wife and I rode in the rumple seat at our wedding while he drove and I plan on doing the same with my kids and handing it down to them. Thanks everyone be pepared as Im sure Ill have plenty of questions for you all real soon!
Glad to hear you are keeping the car in the family. I would suggest you pickup a copy of the Les Andrews red book on Model A repair before you start taking things apart yourself. The book has exploded drawings of all the systems as well as procedures that are a good starting point as you gain experience.

From Snyders website.

Clich here for Two tooth steering box exploded view

Click here for Seven tooth steering box exploded view
Old 07-25-2014, 01:09 AM   #14
Thegovernor

Thank you Sir!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #15
Thegovernor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat in Santa Cruz View Post
Hi Todd,
welcome to Ford Barn. Assuming you have diagnosed it correctly and the problem is in the box, yes it must come out. Now, if you are more interested in a driver than a correct original, looking for the later 2 tooth box will be the better idea. They adjust. The 7 tooth do not. 2 Tooth boxes are easier to set up too in that they do not require the shimming and fitting that the 7 tooth type do.
So the 29 comes stock with a 7 tooth?? Can a 7 be converted to a 2 or do I buy a new steering box?
I can see this is gonna cost me,We just finished the interior a week before she broke Im still healing writing that check!
Old 07-25-2014, 11:23 PM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

The new 2 tooth steering was introduced in February 1929, but the old 7 tooth continued to also be used into 1930. I've found some low priced columns over the years.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:27 PM   #17
Barry B./ Ma.

If it's a 2 tooth check to see if the key is intact and check the nut on top for tightness. The threaded end could be sheared. You can do that before you remove the box. Just remove the light bail and the horseshoe clip at the bottom and move the horn rod up so you can get at the nut and check the key.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #18
1930artdeco

If convert to a 2 tooth, the parts will run around $200-250 at the outside. You can do 90% of the work yourself just follow Les Andrews book and take your time. Sorry you will have to buy all new everything box (original), column (original), shaft (new), gears (all new).

Mike
Old 07-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #19
Fred K-OR

Is the steering wheel loose on the shaft? It may have somehow come off the shaft and is turning on the shaft? Does the horn and lights work?
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote