Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Brent

Default Please Help w/ Fender Identification

Somewhere in this vast Internet, there's got to be a definitive guide to identifying Model A fenders. My issue is not with what makes up a 28/29, 30, or 31. I know enough to tell the differences.

HOWEVER, I'm looking for a set of rear fenders for the 30 chassis I am restoring and I cannot tell the difference between sedan or coupe/roadster/pickup fenders. The few people I've asked (those that I'd assume know more than me) didn't know. One guy told me, "to buy 'em and try 'em." If there's a difference it's not a risk I'm willing to take.

So, if you will, please educate me on the idiosyncrasies of Model A fenders. Pics would help, too.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
31apickup

Default Re: Please Help w/ Fender Identification

There is a big difference in the widths of the fenders between sedan and the others.
31apickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Brent

That's it, just the width? The arch and duck tail are the same? Jeesh, that's no biggie at all. I just need a tape measure to assure they're the same.

Are there noticeable differences between earlier 28/29 rears and 30/31 rears? I don't want to get those confused if there's something to be confused by.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
wrndln

The way I tell 28/29 rear fenders from 30/31 rear fenders (both coupe/roadsters/pickups and tudors/fordors/phaetons) is the 28/29's have a rounded area where the notch for the splash apron goes form vertical to horizontal (top). 30/31 rear fenders have almost a square corner where the vertical meets the horizontal part of the notch. Hopes this helps.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
329s

According to the July 1, 1931 Parts Price List, there were about 5 different types of rear fenders listed.

This would present an excelent article for Model A News or The Restorer for someone who has access to all 5 fenders (including their coresponding brackets) to take photos and measurements and present the differences to the Model A Ford community.

Pluck
329s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Brent

There was a coupe on the chassis that I am restoring. What I am putting on it doesn't really fit the focus of the site. I am putting a 26/27 Model T Touring body on it with A fenders.

My car will be somewhat similar to this car, but with 1930 Model A fenders.

During the build.

Finished product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bonnet-on.jpg (78.3 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg world-domination.jpg (54.5 KB, 131 views)
Old 07-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
James Rogers

28/29 and 30/31 fronts are generally the same for the combined years (28/29 or30/31) this includes almost all body styles. The rears are different from sedans to coupes and trucks are different. Normally as a rule of thumb, the coupe fenders do not have a well or inner panel where they bolt to the body but the sedan fenders do for the rear 1/3 section. To do what you are doing you may just have to experiment. You may be ableto find some early 28 fenders that would work.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
mot

heres a few pictures of the two basic styles of fenders
in the first photo ,the coupe style is shown,and on the right is the sedan style
this holds true for the 28-29 vehicles also,but those fenders will not interchange easily
It can be done,but they will look wrong as the fit is not correct
In 1930-31the coupe style fender fits on all coupes,sport coupes,cabriolets and narrow bed pickups
the sedan fender fits all tudor ,fordor sedans,victorias,A400s
there is also a special fender for the deluxe phaeton,and a special fender for the wide bed pickups
the dimple in the sedan inner apron was there to provide clearance for a bolt or rivet
the early ones (1930) didnt have the dimple,its explained in the JS and service bulletins the exact date of change and reason
i didnt go into the time line and exact details ,
i know there are other differences,but this is not a definitive essay on 30-31 fenders
but should answer your question on how to tell the difference between a sedan and coupe fender
tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001S.JPG (51.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-002S.JPG (55.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-004S.JPG (62.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-003S.JPG (60.8 KB, 55 views)
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
ora masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
28/29 and 30/31 fronts are generally the same for the combined years (28/29 or30/31) this includes almost all body styles. The rears are different from sedans to coupes and trucks are different. Normally as a rule of thumb, the coupe fenders do not have a well or inner panel where they bolt to the body but the sedan fenders do for the rear 1/3 section. To do what you are doing you may just have to experiment. You may be ableto find some early 28 fenders that would work.
lot of differencs in 2829 3031 front fenders
ora masters is offline   Reply With Quote