Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
35ragtop

Default So, how do you do it?

Hi Guys,
I would like your suggestions on how to stretch the brake shoe springs into place WITHOUT the correct tool.
There's got to be an easier way, how do you do it please?
thanks
Dave h
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2497 - Copy.jpg (56.8 KB, 292 views)
35ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
Bob NH

Default Re: So, how do you do it?

My advise to you is get the proper tool ! I nearly lost my right eye stretching a brake spring with a pair of pliers on my daughters car one time when the pliers slipped and my hand came up too close for comfort. Be safe friend
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
Bader

Two ways,vice grips in Lou of the tool,or put the spring in the shoes,the top of the shoes in the brake cylinder,and then the bottom goes in,the plate and cotter pins,bobs your uncle.
Bader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #4
WestCoast

buy the tool, its less than $10, altho most parts stores will loan you one
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:40 PM   #5
Binx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NH View Post
My advise to you is get the proper tool ! I nearly lost my right eye stretching a brake spring with a pair of pliers on my daughters car one time when the pliers slipped and my hand came up too close for comfort. Be safe friend
I had a friend who did the same with a pair of needle-nosed pliers and drove it through his pupil. Pretty much ruined his life since he was a CDL driver for many years.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #6
HCO41

I have the tool, but prefer to use the vise grips. Spring loop resists sliding on tool causing the spring to stretch more than I like. Vise grip secures spring to prevent it flying and spring doesn't have to be stretched as much to get over the post.
JMHO,
Howard
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

As pictured, take a long, skinny, straight-blade screwdriver and loop the left end of spring around the shank. Put the tip of the screwdriver into the hole in the brake shoe. Move screwdriver handle to left, stretching spring to left. Once the screwdriver over-centers past the left side of the hole in shoe, the spring end will slide down the screwdriver shank and into the hole. Pull screwdriver out of hole......done! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #8
WestCoast

oil the slide on the tool, and tap the spring with a small hammer as you stretch the spring it will slide down the shank easily
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

One more tid-bit of info BEFORE you stretch that spring. The LONG shoe lining goes toward the FRONT of the vehicle. The LARGE half of the wheel cylinder goes toward the FRONT also. The LONG shoe and cylinder direction in picture are mis-matched. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:09 PM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

I really don't want to suggest an unsafe method for anyone, but personally, I have done this for years and don't believe this is unsafe. I use a large pair of vise grip pliers and set them for a very tight grip on the end of the spring where it is not coiled. Stretch the spring by pulling on the vise grips and hook the spring into the hole in the shoe. I have spring pliers, but on my old Fords, the vise grip method works best for me.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 05-01-2015 at 09:18 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:12 PM   #11
dixiedelux

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
As pictured, take a long, skinny, straight-blade screwdriver and loop the left end of spring around the shank. Put the tip of the screwdriver into the hole in the brake shoe. Move screwdriver handle to left, stretching spring to left. Once the screwdriver over-centers past the left side of the hole in shoe, the spring end will slide down the screwdriver shank and into the hole. Pull screwdriver out of hole......done! DD

I did your procedure today on my 46, but did not pull screw driver past center line of hole. I drove the spring down the length of the screw driver with a ball peen until it went in slot. I bought a new tool at NAPA this morning and am returning it tomorrow morning. This one is designed to put the stationary part of the tool into a rivet hole if using riveted linings. YOu are to use the very edge of the shoe that extends past the lining, if using bonded. My Drake shoes had maybe a .01" extendnig past the bonding, not enough to secure the tool. What I forgot to do was drive the pins into the holes immediately to the right and left of the cylinder.The tolerance is so tight I can't press them through now from behind. I could not press the pen through the old one with my bard fingers. it is so tight! Those pens anchor a 2 piece aluminum parking brake apperatus and one piece nearly hides the retracting spring. I guess I will lightly ream the holes tomorrow. I am glad I left the other side intact, for reference. I hope to learn from my mistakes on the first wheel and the next will be easier.
dixiedelux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:36 PM   #12
Binx

Since you asked and I've always wanted to share this tool, this is good. My grandfather gave me this along with the rest of his tools when I was a teenager with my first car. It's the only brake spring tool I've used since then and embarrassed to admit I've never used the plier type. This is the only one I feel comfortable with. The rod is 5/8", 17" long, knurled on each end for grip and the threaded insert is 3/8"

It is marked

SAFE T-GRIP
THERMACOTE MFG CO.
NEWARK N.J. L.A. CAL.

Last edited by Binx; 05-01-2015 at 10:56 PM. Reason: removed cuss words
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #13
Bulligen

As always please use safety glasses guys. I have been pretty slack with them for years but lately I have been thinking by law of averages I better use them from now on. As has been said, one moment can change your life, and when it happens you will be thanking the good Lord when you have them on!
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:45 PM   #14
35ragtop

Well thanks for all the replies. I will have a go with the vice grips.
And thanks V8COOPMAN for the tip on the shoe. The wheel cylinders are correct for direction but I guess I lost it a bit with the shoes. Will check them all first.
regards Dave h
Old 05-01-2015, 09:45 PM   #15
HCO41

I guess I'll have to try the "skinny screw driver" method because I can't understand how the spring loop can go into the hole when it is 90° to the hole when it slides down and contacts the shoe. As I see it the screwdriver would block the hole unless it was so skinny that the loop could be turned 90° to let it slip past the screwdriver shank and into the hole.
Howard
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:10 AM   #16
49r

I've always used vice grips without any problems.
49r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:29 AM   #17
35ragtop

All done in about half an hour . I used the vice grips and cramped the backing plates to the bench. Easy. And taking heed to the above safety warnings I used my trusty safety glasses. I am used to the odd bit of "claret" oozing from various flathead inflicted wounds, but when it comes to the eyes, well enough said.
Thanks again for the tips
Next job, king pins.
Daveh
Old 05-02-2015, 03:47 AM   #18
Mart

Good strong vise grips clamped on tight. make sure the shoes are well retracted. Pull carefully using both hands. Be mindful of the safety warnings about your eyes. Much less likely to jab a big pair of vise grips into your eye than a pair of needle nose pliers, expecially when using both hands.

Like the purpose made tool, that might be relatively easy to replicate.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:24 AM   #19
dumb person

On many cars i put the springs on the shoes and put the shoes on the car with the springs in place. Has anyone tried that method on this particular car?

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:59 AM   #20
Bruce in southern OH

Dumb Person, never used the tool like you said, real quick, just put spring in this type of shoe installation, install one shoe in cylinder and then pull the other shoe over into the wheel cylinder, DONE. ( You can also do the crossover method, cross the shoes over at bottom with bottom of shoe removed from pins, spring in top of shoes, open the shoes with the leverage you have and DONE, install washer and cotter pins ) Best way to remove also!!!
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote