Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
Ken Crans

Default You can't always get what you want!

Well Doris is right..I was on the verge of buying a 62 Ford Club Wagon on C.L. Nice van, but the wife said.. "why don't you finish the 48' with that money". Some times i get side tracked by a cool ride. I have been working on my truck for 5 years and seems like i'm getting nowhere. But i think i'll just kick it in the ass this winter. Has anybody had this situation?. Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Barry-ct

Default Re: You can't always get what you want!

Don't get discouraged. I had my 50 F-1 since 1989 and I've got a long time to go before it's done.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
39portlander

Oh Ken, thank God for the little lady My wife know's nothing much about a Flathead but keeps me on track and focused.

You see one, a month later you see two!! She's my common sense. Scott
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Joe AZ

I've been working on the '33 truck in my avatar (or maybe not working) for 5 years. Was side tracked by a '56 Nomad, but wisely sold that for a '40 standard coupe. Getting close to retirement, and think the truck will get done when I have more time.
Joe
Joe AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
Hal Beatty

Oh yeah... I've had my '40 since 1970. Tore it apart for a restoration about 25 yrs. ago. Got side-tracked by life and several other projects so it's still not back together and now it's scattered between my kids place and my rental garage. Someday...
Hal Beatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
Lawson Cox

First car I restored was a 28 Buick 4 door Town Brougham. 12 years. Next was 34 Ford
Tudor, about 7 years. Next was 36 Ford Club Cabriolet, about 6 years. Now have 35 Ford PU I put together from parts. 16 years. No Mas ground ups. Too old to start one.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
TobbyT

Oh Yes !! Just yesterday I found a 49 F-1 that I was just couldn't pass up. I just love the way my Wife gets me to review my priorities.
1934 Ford 5 Window Coupe ('50's Race Car)
1988 Ford F150 Lariat
2009 Ford F150 XLT
TobbyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
CBoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39portlander View Post
Oh Ken, thank God for the little lady My wife know's nothing much about a Flathead but keeps me on track and focused.

You see one, a month later you see two!! She's my common sense. Scott
... but if you try some times, you get what you need!
CBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
Dick Webber

It took me 7 years to get it right but was well worth it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49 Ford F-1 10-26-93.jpg (91.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 49 Ford F-1 11-24-09.jpg (99.8 KB, 20 views)
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
Rebel Sympathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe AZ View Post
I've been working on the '33 truck in my avatar (or maybe not working) for 5 years. Was side tracked by a '56 Nomad, but wisely sold that for a '40 standard coupe. Getting close to retirement, and think the truck will get done when I have more time.
Joe
Don't count on it, Joe, unless you really stay focused. Retirement seems to bring on a relaxed attitude - like, "I'll do it tomorrow......" Then, the years seem to slip by and the energy level gets lower - and the car sits, and sits, and sits. Take it from one who knows....... Mike
Old 08-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
hope

HEY REBEL

You got that right....................Tomorrow is enother day.
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #12
Ken Crans

If it takes me until i'm retired to finish this truck, there is something wrong!Thanks for all the inspiration. LOL Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
chudm71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Crans View Post
Well Doris is right..I was on the verge of buying a 62 Ford Club Wagon on C.L. Nice van, but the wife said.. "why don't you finish the 48' with that money". Some times i get side tracked by a cool ride. I have been working on my truck for 5 years and seems like i'm getting nowhere. But i think i'll just kick it in the ass this winter. Has anybody had this situation?. Ken
I have the same problem. C.L. is evil. I have been side tracked 4 times now and would have been done with my Dads 47. My wife say's the same thing when I see another side track. I tell my self it is for the better. Good luck Ken, I feel your pain..
chudm71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Crans View Post
If it takes me until i'm retired to finish this truck, there is something wrong!Thanks for all the inspiration. LOL Ken
Hey Ken,
Yup, wives have a way of bringing you back to reality...but, you have to listen to their input in order to be successful...tall order tho !
And, Rebel has as good grasp on this situation as any.
Upon retirement, I got a bucket case A roadster and today...it's FINISHED,eh !
Well, what the heck is 'finished' anyway?? Finished , i.e.- done with/good enough for me. Or finished as in through/ran out of $$
'30 roadster...10 years.

BTW- Her other sage advice was: 'do not drive it , until you finish it...cause once you ride in it you will never work on it further'. Hm, truer works....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1857.jpg (66.5 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by hardtimes; 08-04-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: .......
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #15
Royal Ryser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe AZ View Post
Joe
I hate to disabuse you of the idea that you will have more time when you are retired. Here's what happens. Everyone will know that you are retired and need something to occupy your time. Everyone will have a good cause that you would best especially qualified for. Therefore, you will have many opportunities to help/serve these good causes. Once things settle down, and you have tried several of these jobs, you find that the car restoration has moved down the priority list and you never quite get to it. You may have to reprioritize several times before you actually spend much time on the car.
You can easily tell if you are in the "good cause" mode because more people keep asking for more of your time and little gets done on the car. A sure sign of being "good caused"is when someone asks you what you are doing with your retirement and you cannot think of a single significant thing.
Good Luck and enjoy your retirment.
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #16
Joe AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Sympathy View Post
Don't count on it, Joe, unless you really stay focused. Retirement seems to bring on a relaxed attitude - like, "I'll do it tomorrow......" Then, the years seem to slip by and the energy level gets lower - and the car sits, and sits, and sits. Take it from one who knows....... Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Ryser View Post
I hate to disabuse you of the idea that you will have more time when you are retired. Here's what happens. Everyone will know that you are retired and need something to occupy your time. Everyone will have a good cause that you would best especially qualified for. Therefore, you will have many opportunities to help/serve these good causes. Once things settle down, and you have tried several of these jobs, you find that the car restoration has moved down the priority list and you never quite get to it. You may have to reprioritize several times before you actually spend much time on the car.
You can easily tell if you are in the "good cause" mode because more people keep asking for more of your time and little gets done on the car. A sure sign of being "good caused"is when someone asks you what you are doing with your retirement and you cannot think of a single significant thing.
Good Luck and enjoy your retirment.
Wow.....thanks for all the encouragement guys!! Maybe I should just hang myself right now. LOL
Joe
Joe AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #17
bluardun

Ken, your wise wife was correct.
If you want to finish a project you must focus on it, and only it. Do something with it 6 days a week. And most important is KISS !

K eep I t S imple S tupid

Sounds easy. Have fun.
bluardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #18
46fordnut

I've had my car from 2005 and have gotten nowhere ether ... must be a gear head thing . i do want get it done but life always seems to have other plans. 1946 super deluxe. it runs and drives but . have had no time to do so for about 2 years.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #19
deucemac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Sympathy View Post
Hen there is the melon business we find ourselves involved with. Some refer it to Honey Do
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #20
47 flatbed

I must be lucky my wife keeps me grounded too, but she isnt afriad to get greasy so the projects go a little faster and well thought out by her, they must have taught that somewhere in school.
47 flatbed is offline   Reply With Quote