Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2023, 03:45 PM   #1
Maznblu

Default Gas Spillage

Hi everyone,

I hope you all had a safe and Happy Thanksgiving! I am writing today with a problem I am hoping someone might be able to help me solve.

I have a 1938 Ford 1/2 ton pickup which I am in the process of restoring. Finally got it on the road a couple of weeks ago but, when my buddy (driving behind me as I took it home from his shop) watched as I took right hand turns, gas spilled out of the gas cap. When I first bought the truck earlier this year, I could see damage to the paint on the rear fender below the gas cap, so I knew I needed to get this problem fixed. So, I bought a Bob Drake locking gas cap and thought it would make a better seal but, sadly, it did not. I have since confirmed that I need a new VENTED gas cap so that I don't create a vacuum that will restrict the flow of gas from the tank to the fuel pump.

I spoke to another buddy who told me that, years ago, his father had had the same problem with his 1940 V8 truck and he had solved by getting a one-way gas flow restrictor from a boat shop. But I really don't think I should have to go that far. It seems to me that a new gas cap, with a better seal, should fix the problem, unless I am missing something here.

Here are a couple of pictures of the original gas cap and the damage to the rear fender from gas spillage. Any thoughts or suggestions (especially where I might find a good new gas cap) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear Fender Damage from Gas Spillage.jpg (57.0 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg Gas Cap.jpg (95.2 KB, 193 views)
Maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 04:45 PM   #2
Tony, NY

Default Re: Gas Spillage

Can anything go bad other than the seal? Try switching the seal from your other cap or make one. Just a thought. Having gas coming out going around corners seems a little unusual to begin with. Maybe something else is the cause.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 04:48 PM   #3
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony, NY View Post
Can anything go bad other than the seal? Try switching the seal from your other cap or make one. Just a thought.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 06:42 PM   #4
tubman

I had the same problem on my old '36 3-window and finally solved it by not "topping off" (an old habit of mine) at the gas station.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 09:09 AM   #5
Pat/Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I had the same problem on my old '36 3-window and finally solved it by not "topping off" (an old habit of mine) at the gas station.
Tubman is correct....don't put so darn much gas in the tank! LOL! My '40 convertible did the same thing. When I heard the bubbles...I stopped!

Stay Safe,
Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote