Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
37 Coupe

Default New 1932 5 window bodies

The latest issue of Old Cars Weekly mentions new steel 5 window bodies from a company I have never heard of United Pacific Steel. They supposedly introduced these at recent SEMA Show in Las Vegas,anybody know anything about the company or the bodies? They boast that the bodies are stamped in as heavy or heavier gauge than Henry's and will interchange panel to panel with original. Website is not very good on them or clear,wonder if they are just distributing Brookville products? Website is www.uapac.com
Old 12-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
HOTRODPRIMER

Default Re: New 1932 5 window bodies

It's not a Brookville's body.

There was thread that has been closed on the Hamb and I haven't tead it so there must have been some drama,,anyway,,here is the tread,,you might be able to wade through the post and find the information you are looking for. HRP

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...32+window+body

Last edited by HOTRODPRIMER; 12-15-2010 at 04:36 PM.
HOTRODPRIMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Hotrodster

The drama came about because the bodies are stamped in China.
Hotrodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
CraigB

Looked on the site, but couldn't see where the 5 win bodies were listed??
CraigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
dave m

If it's not real henry steel you might as well buy a usa made glass body probably less likely to crack than that cheap chinese steel--just my 2cents
dave m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
thequietwon

My understanding is that this is a joint venture with SOCAL in Sacremento. The driprails and rear panels that SOCAL has had listed on evilbay came from this company...as individual parts become available, they are selling them. I have heard excellent reviews of the driprails. The complete bodies are expected to be available the middle of next year. As of right now, they have the floor, drip rails, rear panel below decklid, & the panel above decklid available, with quarter panels being available the first of the year. I am on the waiting list for a set of quarters...I have a 5 window some idiot turned into a truck in the 50's.
Sam
thequietwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
Hotrodster

I say if the Chinese are willing to stamp out something that there is a demand for and no American company can do it at a competitive price, more power to 'em.
Hotrodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
likesoldstuff

These bodies are being made in Taiwan as an exclusive (they own the tooling) for United Pacific Industries. UPI is best known for their inexpensive (but good quality) LED kits for many cars (I'm in the industry, can ya tell?). They all produce quite a bit of repro GM trim in Taiwan, pretty good stuff. The body was debuted at SEMA but was not complete yet. Not sure about the "same or heavier than original" claim, it does seem thinner than original from what I saw and felt but is made from high tension-high strength steel (different process than Henry used). My feeling is if you are doing a repro steel body anyway (not real Henry) who cares where it is made if it is well built and saves some coin?
The Brookville cars are all stamped by Experi-Metal in Michigan. Experi-Metal also does the SAR 33-34 cars and the CARS/Sherman '55 and '57 convertible bodies. Very nice stuff but very expensive.
Nice that UPI elected to build the 5-window and not trample Brookville's 3-window and roadster market. I am also told that since the '32 firewalls are already repro'ed, UPI is going to stay away from those as well. The tell-tale on these new cars will be when a few get built and we'll see what the builders think (how many hours they have to spend cutting, re-welding, re-fitting) of them. A new body is a bunch of trouble if nothing fits, panels are wavy and stuff has to be reinforced to work well. You can put lots of hours into that nonsense.
likesoldstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
likesoldstuff

Just to be clear and remind everyone, these cars are being made in Taiwan (Formosa) and not communist China. The people and politics in Taiwan are democratic much like us. To me, what's the difference if it comes from Taiwan, Canada or Mexico? Each is still a foreign country, none is more foreign than another unless you consider their politics. Did you check and see where your new Chevy is made? The top GM brass still sucks down money in the Ren Cen in Detroit USA but lots of "US" cars are being made via cheap labor in Mexico (My Chevy HHR for example).
likesoldstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
Vanspeed

I am for it but the metal will never be "Henry" metal. Henry Ford had th best quality of metal available when he was building his cars. Strip one to bare metal, put it outside a full Michigan winter and see what it looks like in the spring. Me and my buddy did it with a 40 and a 37 and they had a slight case of surface rust but nothing much. Some metal was still shiney. Take one of these new stamped cars, company does not matter, and see what it looks like in 50 years. The new cars atleast will provide some of the originals to sleep a little longer.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:50 AM   #11
barryfromvictoria

likes old stuff-- hold it you got it reversed us canadians put america in the same catagory as mexico taiwan and china. your labor is cheaper and your dollar [peso] isn`t worth as much on the world scale anymore. you don`t even have a proper medical plan like even the poorest industrialized nations. even cuba has a medical plan and probably a lot of original 32 fords. if you had a canadian banking system you would`t be having a meltdown thats screwing up the rest of the world. we don`t need repro 32 bodys because we are buying all the originals from the u.s.-- l.o.l.-- boy i bet this wakes up some of you rednecks. more power to the looney
barryfromvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
Fortress

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfromvictoria View Post
you don`t even have a proper medical plan like even the poorest industrialized nations. even cuba has a medical plan and probably a lot of original 32 fords.
Meanwhile your PM seeks medical care in the USA.
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
Milt/Las Vegas

Barry,you mean the countries like Greece,Ireland,Spain,and Portugal that are on the verge of bankrupsy and the rest of the European Union not far behind because of their medical plans and other socialized programs.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
hop up

Its not a real FORD so who cares who or were its stamped Old is Old and new is new, repo is repo and if its fine with you it doesn't matter. I do have to say it will be good for patch panels to get the rough real ones back on the road
Old 12-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #15
Fordors

Hop Up your statements seem to contradict. How could a repro patch panel be good for the "real ones"? Kinda like leprosy from a skin graft. I can't afford a $22,000 body but for those that can and can't locate a "real one" then so what, they should be denied a Deuce?
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #16
hop up

Question Re: New 1932 5 window bodies

I guess from your reply you need another one. I don't have a problem with glass or repo steel, just not for me I said. There are plenty of real ones, that needa patch here or ther, using repo patches. I'm sorry you can have just as much fun with a glass car but lets not call it real deuce . ordors;127782]Hop Up your statements seem to contradict. How could a repro patch panel be good for the "real ones"? Kinda like leprosy from a skin graft. I can't afford a $22,000 body but for those that can and can't locate a "real one" then so what, they should be denied a Deuce?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by hop up; 12-16-2010 at 04:28 PM.
hop up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #17
rotorwrench

I was always wondering when they (Tiawan) would start to get into the early Ford market. They have been making muscle car stuff for a good number of years now. They make some bucks at it too but only if they get into a niche market and no other company decides to compete. Too much competition in these types of markets will stop the flow again. I say let it flow. If they ever sell a large quantity, it will eventually bring the price down in the second hand or used market for the non-originals anyway.

Steel may rust but fiberglass will eventually turn back to dust too. Nothing lasts forever.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #18
Vanspeed

Patch panels would be nice, they will not last as long but most of the cars that we are building never see salt or bad weather so a patch will last the life of the car if cared for correctly. 89.5 percent deuce, 10.5 percent tiawan, that is where we are at with a car that hasn't been built in 78 years.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #19
TJ

After buying a couple of patch panels from EMS I would welcome good patch panels from China or Taiwan. EMS stuff is pure c^*p and it's made in the USA. It doesn't even come close to fitting. If the overseas companies make a better product that fits it's no wonder the companies in the US are having problems. Cost is not an issue, I just want the darn things to fit.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:35 AM   #20
barryfromvictoria

tj-- you got that right. nothing they make fits right.
barryfromvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote