Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
jkcrosson

Default Disconnect switch

I want to install a disconnect switch on my battery. Where is the best place to install the switch. I have read in Mike's catalog to install it on the cross member in front of front seat riser or on the starter. What has everyone found to be the best location? I see pros and cons to each one.
jkcrosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
sphanna

Default Re: Disconnect switch

I just installed a disconnect switch on my Fordor. I am very happy with the setup as sold by Snyder's catalog page A-155. You would need part # A-14300-D (switch) and the bracket which mounts on the lower starter bolt (A-14300-DMB). Also the cable # A-14300-J. Very easy to install and the location is easy to get to. All for $39.20.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
john hamilton

After I'd used a disconnect switch for about 6 months it seemed the generator wasn't charging correctly. After checking everything else I took the switch off. There had been a lot of internal sparking which coated everything with soot. Good insulator.

This was one of the switchs with the big knob to unscrew.
john hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Jim Brierley

I have one on each of my 3 A's. The easiest one to operate is on the tudor, mounted at the front of and between the front seats. Put it where you can easily reach it.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Jim Parker Toronto

I have one also in both my cars, I think they are a good idea. The 28 Roadster is on the seat riser in the middle, and the in Fordor, I put it in the board in front of the seat on the drivers side. I would not put it under the hood because I guess I am too lazy to open and close the hood every time I want too use it!
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
Bruce Adams

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I am very pleased with the brass $30 switch I mounted on the firewall on the negative cable side which I can flick on and off with my toe. It sits above the starter button and is SO easily accesible I can flick it off and on any time with no effort. I did also have to purchase a one foot length of size zero cable between it and the starter.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
Michael in Sedona

I have one on my '29 roadster, mounted to the seat riser, so I can just reach down while seated and flip it on or off. I leave the dash light on at all times, as a reminder to turn off the power whenever I stop for more than a few minutes.

I also have one on my '29 Tudor, mounted just above the clutch pedal. Like Bruce Adams said, very easy to flip on or off with your toe. I also leave the dash light on at all times on this car too. A quick glance back into the car when leaving, and if the light's on, you know you forgot to shut off the master switch.
Michael in Sedona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:04 AM   #8
Joe/Ct

I do not use a switch now, but plan on installing one shortly. I plan on locating the switch on the cross member of the front seat and connecting to the positive/ground side of the system. I am told that this is better than connecting to the negative/high side.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Joe/Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:42 AM   #9
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcrosson View Post
I want to install a disconnect switch on my battery. Where is the best place to install the switch. I have read in Mike's catalog to install it on the cross member in front of front seat riser or on the starter. What has everyone found to be the best location? I see pros and cons to each one.
jamie,
You didn't say which model you plan to put the switch on, so I'll just say that I've one on a roadster(between legs on seat riser) and one on coupe , same place. NO place could be more convient/accessible. First thing to start up and last thing prior to leaving vehicle! Nice feeling knowing 'things' are safe upon leaving vehicle parked in garage or somewhere else!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #10
jkcrosson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
jamie,
You didn't say which model you plan to put the switch on, so I'll just say that I've one on a roadster(between legs on seat riser) and one on coupe , same place. NO place could be more convient/accessible. First thing to start up and last thing prior to leaving vehicle! Nice feeling knowing 'things' are safe upon leaving vehicle parked in garage or somewhere else!
29 Tudor. Thanks
Old 06-24-2011, 06:25 AM   #11
1931 flamingo

Mine is mounted under the driver's seat, VERY convenient and out of sight. Get the GOOD (read more expensive) one. It's in my avitar.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #12
30Tudor

Here is a previous post on the subject that is very informative.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13042
30Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
Fred K-OR

On one of these disconnect switch posts, someone mentioned what weight the cables should be. I could not find it so could someone post the weight again.

Thanks
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
jkcrosson

I got mine mounted today. I mount it between the seats hooked to the ground. Works great.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:55 AM   #15
cars56

Have mine on the bracket sold by Bratton's, off the starter bottom bolt to the fly wheel housing. Like it there, always good to check the engine before venturing off. That location makes you do just that
cars56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:00 PM   #16
Bigdipper

My 30 coupe has a disconnect on the seat riser but was not hooked up. Looks like originally they had it connected on the positive battery ground. Is this ok to use the positive battery ground rather than the starter cable? They used a woven ground cable to the frame. Didn’t know about that either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bigdipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:06 PM   #17
The Master Cylinder

I would mount it on your ground cable, so if you have positive ground, install it on the positive side.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 06:16 PM   #18
Bigdipper

Is the woven ground cable from the switch to the frame ok to leave as is?
Bigdipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 11:04 PM   #19
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdipper View Post
Is the woven ground cable from the switch to the frame ok to leave as is?
Dipper - If it's not corroded a woven ground strap is perfectly fine to use. Be sure to note that most ground cables, and especially woven straps, are intended for "modern" negative ground vehicles. The positive battery post is larger, and the negative terminal on the ground cable often won't sit down too far on the terminal. Resist the temptation to hammer it down as that will almost assuredly bugger up the inside of the battery where the post attaches to the plates. If you get really concerned about it you can order custom battery cables of almost any configuration from many vendors, just Google them. Some NAPA stores will also make custom cables for you.

Also, be sure that the woven (uninsulated) ground strap goes between the switch and the frame, and not between the battery and the switch. You need the cable between the battery and the switch to be insulated, otherwise if it shorts to the frame you have defeated the purpose of the switch. In my car the cutoff switch is between the negative terminal and the starter - because it was that way when I got the car and it's been way down on my list to consider changing.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 05:23 AM   #20
Synchro909

I have an isolating switch on all 4 of my As. The Tudor one is mounted under the floor between the front seats. A slot cut in the carpet makes access easy and well hidden. The others are on the front of the seat riser right under my seat.
All of my cars are 12 volt negative earth so the isolator is on the negative side of the battery. With the original positive earth, I would put it on the positive side. Either way, it would go on the earth side.
PS IMO, you should stay away from the switches that mount on the battery post (the ones with the green knob on top)