Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Straightpipes

Default 35-26 rear access.

My 35 coupe has the original seat. I'm told that there is a seat that hinges on the top for access. I'm getting to old to crawl through the trunk opening....Or, can I modify my seat?? Has anybody done this? My avatar pickup has the seat hinged at the front. I was thinking about that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
flatheadfan

Default Re: 35-26 rear access.

Straightpipes.

The hinge seat only came with '36 Fords, all the '35 coupes had a non-hinge seat.

I agree crawling back into the trunk/rumble area is a lesson in gymnastics that would challenge a fit teenager. So what I decided to due is mimic a '36 seat. It is not as simple as it looks.

First, the '35 seat is taller than a '36 and has a slight curve to the backboard. So you really can't hinge the '35 seat back and expect it to open without changing the backboard of the seat frame. Also, the seat opening will be limited by the steering wheel (the '36 seat clears). Second, if go with an entire '36 seat assembly it will fit your '35 coupe but you will need to re-cut/re-make the side panels and the package tray insert of your '35 to match the '36 seat profile. If you don't have the interior done you may want to consider this option. Finally, good used seat assemblies are hard to find and can be somewhat pricey.

To make a long story short, I finally gave up the idea.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited by flatheadfan; 05-03-2012 at 12:18 AM.
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Dave D

I just did this very thing. I used a new seatback spring from a 36 as they are a different size and shape to allow the seatback to swing without hitting the side panels(Snyders), made the frame board to mount it to and modified the existing backboard by removing the cross brace. It was a bit of work but worth every second of my time. I'm doing the Cabriolet next!

Last edited by Dave D; 05-02-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Dave D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Dave D

One thing I forgot to mention. Snyder's has the stock spring as 6 or 7 inch thick, don't use that one unless you are real skinny! I sent it back and had them make it the same size as the one in the car, 5 inches. MUCH better! (the spring frame adds about 3/4 of an in to the thickness)
Old 05-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
rich b

Is there such a thing as a pattern for the seat back wood frame. Someone burned my back cushion and decided to hide the fact, all I found a couple weeks later was the spring. I have an extra seat I was going to use as pattern; but it is a '35 and I didn't know they were different until I was reading this thread.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
Dave D

I did make a pattern..... now, where did I put it?

Send me an email and I'll try to find it tomorrow. I may even have some more photos for you if you like.

Dave
Old 05-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Straightpipes

Thanks for all the tips and info guys. Dave, that really looks nice. I wasn't aware that the 36 seat was straight across the top.
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
Enbloc

My coupe didn't come with a seat but I wanted an original with the lift up back.

I bought all the wood of the seat, ready made from Lebaron Bonny. The seat cushions were also new from LB.

I now had the wood assembly and original seat runners which I used to construct a new steel base to tie it all together as original.

The prop is a '36 trunk prop from Bob Drake and the hinges are general hardware store.

Enbloc is offline   Reply With Quote