Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2022, 08:37 PM   #21
mcgarrett

Default Re: Heat; Where's it coming from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lugnuts View Post
I suspect ED in Maine above has the right idea. I read on this board a few years ago that the most efficient amount of stand off would be one inch of air flow between a heat shield and the item to be cooled (floor board). I think the man who wrote that was required to do an analysis for something on his job that involved layers of moving air for the most efficient cooling and one inch was his conclusion. I never read if he tried it on his car. It makes a lot of sense though. I plan to try it "someday".
Land Rover had the "stand off" idea figured out long ago for dealing with the heat problem. If you look closely at the roof of an older Land Rover Series 109 you will see a roof panel on top of the main vehicle roof panel that stands off with about an inch of air gap between the two. This helped to mitigate the searing heat of the African plains when exploring or out on safari by letting air circulate between the roof panels.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:02 PM   #22
rich40701

My A came with a homemade firewall insulator that works pretty good but even after I installed a new felt pad around the column and pedals you can still see daylight through it. This pad came from Snyders, does anyone else make or carry a thicker pad?
rich40701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-11-2022, 12:29 PM   #23
BillCNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich40701 View Post
My A came with a homemade firewall insulator that works pretty good but even after I installed a new felt pad around the column and pedals you can still see daylight through it. This pad came from Snyders, does anyone else make or carry a thicker pad?
I backed mine up with 1/4" padding. I don't remember where it came from, maybe an auto upholstery shop years back. It works great around the column/pedals and the shifter and e-brake areas.

Regards
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221111_092509[1].jpg (59.2 KB, 24 views)
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:02 PM   #24
gdmn852

Hello, non original firewall insulator are available from vendors, they are a hard molded plastic with fiberglass on the inner side . Ford didn’t start using them until 1932 .Maybe someone who has installed one can say if it helps.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:46 AM   #25
wyankee

I had the same problem, my wife could feel the heat radiating from the muffler through the floor.I removed the floorboards and painted them with a product called HNR (heat and noise reducer) I purchased from Scorpion Coatings Company, they sell bed liner coatings as well. HNR is a latex based coating, easily applied with a brushed made a big difference in the heat radiated through the floor.
wyankee is offline   Reply With Quote