Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-31-2019, 08:46 PM   #1
dgmgohl

Default Teapot Carb rebuild

Can anyone recommend someone that rebuilds teapot carbs to spec? Also, can you provide some listing for a replacement non teapot carb? Thank you!
dgmgohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:11 PM   #2
scicala

Default Re: Teapot Carb rebuild

I have been doing teapot carbs for a long time (two and four barrel). Since this is the Early V8 section, I assume you mean a two barrel Mercury or Lincoln carb. First four barrel teapot was the 1953 Lincoln.
For replacements other than original carbs, I have heard a lot of good things about using a two barrel Rochester 2GC. It would require changes like different linkage/fuel line hookup, a different air cleaner, and a distributor with a vacuum advance compatible with ported manifold vacuum.
If your talking about replacing a four barrel teapot with a different carb, a Rochester 4GC from an old Oldsmobile or Cadiilac (early 50's with same small base as the teapot). Would also require a distributor change with compatible vacuum advance for ported vacuum. Plus the linkage/fuel line differences. A modern four barrel like Edelbrock or Holley requires an adaptor, plus everything else I mentioned.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:54 AM   #3
dgmgohl

Hi Sal, you've provided info to me in the past, and I appreciate it. So you rebuild carbs? This is a 2 barrel off a Merc 1953 Flatty. What's the charge? And are they bench tested before their return?
dgmgohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:22 AM   #4
tubman

I run Rochester 2G's on Mercury manifolds on a couple of my engines. If you mount them backwards, everything falls into place except the manual choke. Since the Mercury's had automatic chokes, I just leave them that way and they work just fine. I have done both the regular and divorced choke types and they both function correctly. The Rochester has larger throttle bores than the Merc manifold, so the manifold needs some modification. I bore mine out all the way down, but "bell-mouthing" the top may be adequate. On a stock, original car, I would have the Holley rebuilt. I use my '51 with a modified Merc engine as my summer daily driver, and for that, you can't beat the Rochester. One of them flows about as much as 2 94's or 97's with no linkage or balancing issues.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:39 AM   #5
supereal

Properly rebuilt "teapot" carbs are hard to beat. That is a job for an experienced source.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:30 PM   #6
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmgohl View Post
Hi Sal, you've provided info to me in the past, and I appreciate it. So you rebuild carbs? This is a 2 barrel off a Merc 1953 Flatty. What's the charge? And are they bench tested before their return?

Hi dgmgohl,

I will send you a PM about your '53 Mercury carburetor.

Sal
Old 05-18-2024, 05:11 AM   #7
Sunnybob

A question about the Holley 1901 teapot, please.

In my 1953 Mercury there are two holes in the intake manifold for de-icing purpose. Somebody in the past close the carburetor holes, so this passage are not working anymore. Are they only for de-icing or are they also useful for something else?
Thank you
Sunnybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 11:14 AM   #8
scicala

Those holes are for heat from the exhaust crossover in the manifold to help with cold driveability.
To me, it's OK for them to be plugged as long as the choke on the carb is fuctioning well.
Old 05-19-2024, 06:59 AM   #9
Sunnybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
Those holes are for heat from the exhaust crossover in the manifold to help with cold driveability.
To me, it's OK for them to be plugged as long as the choke on the carb is fuctioning well.

S Cicala, Thank you so much
Sunnybob is offline   Reply With Quote