Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2024, 12:00 PM   #1
PGIGuy2861

Default 1935 Humpback Trunk hinge

I have just purchased a 1935 Ford with an exterior trunk, One of the hinges does not "latch" tight the other side seems to have a spring that holds it down. It will lock. Any thoughts?

Thank you
PGIGuy2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 12:55 PM   #2
Karl Wescott

Default Re: 1935 Humpback Trunk hinge

First issue, part nomenclature: Are you talking about the "LATCH" that mounts to the deck lid and engages the "STRIKER" that mounts to the body below the lid, or the "HINGE" that attaches to the body and the top of the lid and allows it to swing?

Assuming you are talking about the latch, there is a little toggle lever that is spring loaded that has to have the spring to properly engage the striker. The spring is not available reproduction that I know of though a common spring (aka hardware store) might be found to do the job.

Photo attached shows the "hinge", "latch" (upright), "latch" (upside down), and a "striker".

If anyone has a conspiracy theory that the photo in front of my keyboard might indicate a reproduction in the future you might be right... in a few years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1264.jpg (75.5 KB, 45 views)
Karl Wescott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 01:07 PM   #3
petehoovie

Default Re: 1935 Humpback Trunk hinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
First issue, part nomenclature: Are you talking about the "LATCH" that mounts to the deck lid and engages the "STRIKER" that mounts to the body below the lid, or the "HINGE" that attaches to the body and the top of the lid and allows it to swing?

Assuming you are talking about the latch, there is a little toggle lever that is spring loaded that has to have the spring to properly engage the striker. The spring is not available reproduction that I know of though a common spring (aka hardware store) might be found to do the job.

Photo attached shows the "hinge", "latch" (upright), "latch" (upside down), and a "striker".

If anyone has a conspiracy theory that the photo in front of my keyboard might indicate a reproduction in the future you might be right... in a few years.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote