Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-02-2016, 10:04 PM   #1
trevo

Default Power steering for a 46

Has anyone out there fitted power steering to a 46 are there any kits available information appreciated
trevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
big job

Default Re: Power steering for a 46

Not being wise, but you greasing it? Low air in tires? My 46 is the easiest driving car
I have. Reminds me of a 62 Falcon I had. But then for not a lot of work adding P.S.
add a control valve to the drag link add a piston to the tie rod (hose's made up Napa)
only biggie is to fab a pump mount and a double pulley for the generator. FoMoCo did
away with that system back when but I do know, we replaced a control valve on a
1981 Corvette with this system (Bendix) lots of pistons control valves on ebay.

The truck you see my avitar has this system and can steer it one finger...of course
things are much bigger than a car but its the same idea.
sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
scooder

Sam,
what control valves and pistons are required here? I've seen this setup on a 57 Fairlane. Was used on early Mustangs to. Do we have to look for that age stuff? You mentioned 81 corvette, can we use that stuff?
You said "lots of pistons control valves on eBay" how do I know what pistons and control valves to look for?
I'm in England so I don't want to get the wrong parts shipped over.
And obviously this would help Trevo too.
Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:10 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
Sam,
what control valves and pistons are required here? I've seen this setup on a 57 Fairlane. Was used on early Mustangs to. Do we have to look for that age stuff? You mentioned 81 corvette, can we use that stuff?
You said "lots of pistons control valves on eBay" how do I know what pistons and control valves to look for?
I'm in England so I don't want to get the wrong parts shipped over.
And obviously this would help Trevo too.
Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Martin.
This was the power steering method on factory Corvettes from '63-'82. MANY Corvette aftermarket dealers peddlin' this stuff. Shop the different "peddlers" carefully for price. Ecklers most-likely astonishingly expensive, along with their infamous shipping charges. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #5
trevo

Thanks for the info Ihave successfully fitted P/S to my 34 but have been approached by an elderly gent who is finding his 46 Coupe getting too heavy for him and wish to help him out with ideas the control valving and rams are available new ex US just wondering if there are other options electric maybe?
trevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

That's pretty primitive stuff to transplant...complicated, a bit slow to react to the helm, lots of potential leak areas.
In the time period around late '70's--early '80's, GM used two different power boxes in its big and medium cars. I forget the model numbers. The smaller was used largely in the medium cars in slow/easy and in fast/hard police valvings and was a lot less bulky than the other. I think it uses same sector splines as early Ford, to boot. Adapter plates to fit GM power boxes to '37-48 frame are available. From what's left of my memory, I think most of the extra bulk is in the lower end of the box beyond most interference. Simple, rarely leaks, fast or slow ratio. Requires only the pump and two hoses, plus of course you'd need to cut off steering column, add a lower bearing to mast jacket, and hook up with a street rod U-joint. If this stuff clears the exhaust, it would be far superior to the '50's type stuff.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:59 PM   #7
39topless

Not to be a smart ass but this is a photo of "original" power steering. The ol' "brodie knob". I do know from experience that the proper tire size, and, as big job pointed out, proper tire pressure, have a big effect on steering efficiency.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #8
TJ

You can use a GM 605 power box and mate it to the stock column with the proper universal joint. Then you can use the small late model pump. You will need dual sheave pulleys and fabricate your own brackets.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:44 AM   #9
scooder

I really don't see how a brodie knob equals power steering. I don't make the steering any lighter does it. It just meens you can use one hand if IF the steering is already light enough at parking speed. I think what the OP wants is to lighten up the steering, that's what I want anyhow. Unless this useless body gets fixed buy a miracle one day. Until then, I'm gonna need power steering.

TJ, what's a gm 605 come off? Sounds good at the mo.
Thanks,
Martin.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:11 AM   #10
51 MERC-CT

Then there are electric power steering kits that are available but the factors that have to be considered are the need for 12 volt power and in the case of the '46 the column shift would have the converted to a floor shift.

http://www.unisteer.com/electric-pow...-steering.html
Old 05-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #11
scooder

Thanks all for your answers. I sorta hijacked my way into this thread, but it's all relevant stuff in one place, so hope it's ok.
I like the power ram idea due to keeping a stock steering system and the power bit as an add on. I get there's more up to date setups, but there's also more up to date engine, chassis, suspension transmissions and so on. The ease of reversabilty if needed is nice. It's all bolt on additions, so it'll also bolt off. And if I ever get a 46-48 Sedan coupe, or flop top, I can swap this stuff over.
Again thanks all.
Hope it helps trevo too.
Martin.