Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #1
Tom from Drippin'

Default New Top for '31 DeLuxe Roadster

When I "finished" the roadster in '07 I had purchased a well used top & irons. It was serviceable but looked (stained) like an 8 year old mattress.
I just completed the refinishing of the top irons and the two bentwood bows. The header bow was pine, and rot had started at the bolt holes at both ends, so I made a new header. I installed a LB top kit, following their instructions.
LB's instructions need to be updated.....For example: they go through a long discussion on what to do with the cotton that goes inside the top pads. Thinning in several locations. BUT..there was NO COTTON in the kit...only a synthetic padding. When I called to question, they told me that no thinning was necessary, just place it on, from header to the last bow.
Also...rear window placement. The bottom of the window on the old top was 3 1/4" above the bottom of the panel....Their instructions said 5 1/8". I looked at Marco T.'s site and the 5 1/8" seamed correct, so that's where I put it....BUT in that location, when folding the top, the window cannot physically be placed over the last bow, as instructed in the Ford note to dealers, posted by Marco several weeks ago.

In addition to the above, I carefully removed the old top and am willing to send to anyone who would like it for only actual cost of shipping. Remember, it has been trimmed, so fabric would have to be temporarily added so it could be pulled tight and then cut off.

Tried to add before and after, but couldn't do it!

Last edited by Tom from Drippin'; 06-17-2015 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Cant add photos
Tom from Drippin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
hardtimes

Default Re: New Top for '31 DeLuxe Roadster

Hey Tom,
Yeah , mixed signals do cause problems and that leads to unintended consequences..bummer !
But, I commend you for you efforts and hope that it works out for you on your roadster. I myself bought a 'used' original top in great condition (decades ago), considering its' age.
Thing is, I do not use a top, at all , here is sunny socal area. Wish I had heard of you situation priorly, as I think that you would have been very happy with the top that I have and the sounds of your top would have suited my roadster...if I'd ever use it,eh !

Can you share any pictures of you end product ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:07 PM   #3
Tom from Drippin'

I tried to share photos, but I must be doing something wrong. Are there instructions...I'm on a MAC.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #4
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom from Drippin' View Post
I tried to share photos, but I must be doing something wrong. Are there instructions...I'm on a MAC.
'instructions'....yikes blind leading blind, eh
Pray or send for a computer 'geek' ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:56 AM   #5
Lona

I'm almost finished installing my new LB top and, as stated in a previous post, feel the instructions are woefully inadequate. One thing they should mention is to check the bows before starting. Mine looked really good and were likely repos from a previous restoration. Problem was the bows were a little warped and bent and likely made that way considering they are not original. This resulted in the fabric top not fitting well and very difficult to get the wrinkles out. A little patience, re-pulling and re-stapling and the end result looks fairly good but not as good as I would have liked.

Also, it's important to get the windshield angle correct and tighten the stanchion nuts well before starting since tugging on the top fabric will tend to change the angle and mess up the fit if the stanchions are not tight.

Plus, work with the new top you have and not try to install it the same way your old one was installed. There are several manufacturers of tops, custom shops who made their own and different techniques installers may have used.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
HoarseWhisperer

Had the same issue when my original center bow was warped.

Fortunately, I found another good original bow and the new top fits perfectly.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote