Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2023, 07:37 AM   #1
The "A" Team

Default Model A Lagging and Popping when Accelerating

Hi everyone,

The past few times I've driven my Model A, I noticed it loses a little power and pops a bit when accelerating. It idles ok.

I'm wondering if there might be a couple of reasons why it might be doing it. I'll give you the scenario from starting to driving in the morning.

I retard the spark lever all the way up, pull the throttle lever about 1/3 to 1/2 down, open the GAV to about 1/2 to 3/4 open, open the gas valve, pop out the ignition, pull the choke and start the car. It usually starts right up on either the 2nd or 3rd crank. I then pull the spark lever down about 1/2, push the throttle lever up to idle and turn the GAV to about 1/4 open. I let it idle for a few minutes while I move my other cars out of the driveway and get my stuff together for work. I then back it out, and start driving. As I accelerate out onto the main road is when I notice it lag a bit and pop a couple of times when accelerating. Most of the time, after a little while of driving, it starts picking up the pace and stops popping.

Could it be any of the following?
  • Am I starting to drive it while it's still a little cold and should let it warm up longer (the outside morning temperature here in Jersey is around 55 degrees right now, but it has happened when leaving work and the temperature is in the 70s)?
  • Am I forgetting I'm driving a 93 year old car with a 40 hp and just expecting it to accelerate like newer cars and giving it a little too much gas?
  • Should I pull the spark lever down more than 1/2?
  • Am I running too lean and should open the GAV more than 1/4?

Thanks as always in advance.

John
The "A" Team is offline   Reply With Quote