Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2023, 11:21 AM   #7
tubman

Default Re: Oil Pan and Drag Link Interference 8BA in 36 Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
The common method to mount an 8BA type of engine in an early chassis, ie; '36-48 is to use '49-50 merc pumps and/or truck pumps with the '49-50 merc spacers under the pumps to allow for the offset of the mounting bolts and shortness of the pump mounts.
I would also suggest that you get a car pan in lieu of the truck pan you have.
Boy, I seem to remember that the mounting height of the pads on the late Merc pumps are different than the truck pumps (higher in relation to the vehicle). I know because my test stand has the analogs of the '40-'48 Ford mounting geometry (I have used it to test a truck-pumped 8BA, as well as an Olds and a Hemi with Hurst mounts). When I went to mount the '51 Merc that eventually ended up in my '51 Ford, I had to make the spacers I mentioned ealier to bring it up to the correct height (it had the Merc pumps).

Also, why wouldn't the truck pan work? I have one and it seems to be the same outline as the Merc pan. I know the "cleanout" is prone to leaks, but given the rarity and price of Merc pans (per Coop), I'd use it if it fit.

It might be a good idea for the O/P to sight through the crank hole in the grille and see just where the crank bolt head is in relation to it. In the alternative, stick a dowel or welding rod through the hole and see where it ends up.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote