Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
klawockvet

Default Better Brakes Pennsylvania Style

I ran across these old pictures I took from a roadster I bought on eBay some years back. A few years ago I purchased this car, described as being "restored to original by the second owner who bought it when he came home from the war". It was sold by his son who described his father as a master mechanic who worked on the space shuttle. At the time I hadn't learned the hard lessons of dealing on eBay. I should be posting this in the humor section as I laugh every time I see this picture. I also included a picture of all the crap that was welded to the frame. It took three days to cut, torch, saw and grind it all off.

When I got the car it was far from what was advertised and I had relied somewhat on the inspection sticker that showed it was done only 50 miles from the current milage. What could possibly be unsafe on a car that passed a Nanny state inspection 50 miles ago? I'm old and have seen a lot of bad engineering but this ranks right at the top.

An explanation is in order in case anyone needs to see how to set this up:
The first step was to place a rusty rod through a hole in the frame and keep in in place by a washer and cotter pin on each side. At the free floating end there is another rod that goes into the master cylinder. This is also kept in place with cotter pins and washers. Next comes the linkage to the original brake pedal. This is held in place by a washer then a bolt that is captured by an extra tie rod clamp. Evidently the original ratio was wrong so there is an extra hole drilled in the brake pedal. Perhaps that was done to lighten the weight of the car for additional speed, similar to the hot rod practice of holes in the axle??? This apparently didn't work too well as a free floating set up so a piece of brass fitting was cut up and screwed onto the end of the bolt mounting the master cylinder to the transmission. The master cylinder mount was cut from a piece of angle iron with a torch and bolted to the trans with two bolts, one was stripped and not holding but it was OK as the floorboard kept it from falling out. The conversion was completed by connecting it all with copper lines. Next there was a slight problem with the lines connecting to the rear wheel cylinders. That was solved by cutting out the holes for the cylinder in the backing plate and moving the cylinders up. The lines must have hooked up and he was probably pretty proud of his work so far. Oops, now the brake lining won't fit. Now the cylinders were lowered back into position and the backing plates turned upside down. Now the copper lines are exposed to the gravel road but who cares about that. The final step was to connect the emergency brake via a cut up cable held in place by a cable clamp. Good thing some states require safety inspections or this could have been even worse.
IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote