Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
peewee2you

Default Has anyone used this Brake and Clutch System

Has anyone on the barn used this system and mounted it to the stock 42 - 48 frame, there has been much discussion about safety in regards to braking systems etc. I am on the physically challenged side these days and although my brakes are new and working I realize they are still reliant on the amount of pressure or ones strength they have in their legs, so I was considering the adaption of this unit to help with that. It also uses a hydrallic clutch system which would be beneficial as well being the clutch is a heavy pressure plate and spring load. Do you think this is a viable solution. I have a 47 Fordor http://www.ebay.com/itm/330671166686...84.m1423.l2649

peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
jimTN

Default Re: Has anyone used this Brake and Clutch System

For reasonable speeds the stock system works fine. It can be improved with Lincoln type brakes. If you cannot physically push a stock brake pedal, that brings on more talk. There was a power multiplying master cylinder that bolted up to the stock mounting that was sold a few years ago. I bought a couple of them and never installed them because of stock brakes working fine. I think you could also find a hydrovac unit that will install remotely from the master cyl that would mount a lot easier. I am sure some of the rodders can recommend a hydrovac unit.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Brendan

pete, when i worked in the body shop in high school they had a 64 Ford tow truck, it has a hydrovac in it, if you hit the brakes hard it would throw you through the windshield and lock up all four...Brendan

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
johnny

Check the Mustang and or Thunderbird parts suppliers as they have a stand alone hydrovac unit that can be mounted on the firewall and connects to your original master cylinder Johnny.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
columbiA

I have seen Mico power multiplying master cyls with the ford mounting bolt pattern.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
peewee2you

I recently found this one, says will mount to existing 3 hole mc spot on frame underneath? I presume run new lines to make brakes indepent of front and back on new system. What I like about this product is still get to use old arm/and pedal. This is another item on ebay, it doesn't utilize the clutch? but brakes is most important to me and is far more cheaper and doable.

Here is the claim on installing: We sell parts, we don't have mounting instructions. After you remove your master cylinder, there should be a three hole mount, this bolts directly to the old existing three hole mount and extends out from there your old rod that went to the mc before now attaches to this new extension rod and hooks to the new booster, When you hook up your brake lines the front brake line goes to the port furthest from the booster and the rear brakes go closest to the booster. If your car hasn't been molested it should have a 3 bolt master cylinder and this will work fine. No valves needed for drum/drum brakes, valves only needed for disc/drum setup
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:59 AM   #7
Brendan

Pete, i know that the hydrovac unit wold work, you just need to find a place to mount it. also you would won't to re-plumb all your brake lines, because the hydrovac will pump out more pressure

Old 01-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
jimTN

Has anyone out there used the Micro Power master cyl? Would like to know how well they actually worked.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
Ole Don

The Ford brake and clutch pedal are forged steel, very strong. I saw a flame cut pedal arm like the ones in the first picture bend durring a panic stop. Not a good thing to see happen.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Don View Post
The Ford brake and clutch pedal are forged steel, very strong. I saw a flame cut pedal arm like the ones in the first picture bend durring a panic stop. Not a good thing to see happen.

That would be bad!