Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
Jorge.it

Default Sleeve size help

Hi from Italy,
I'm on my first flathead rebuild is a 1941 59AB sleeved at std 3.187 but whit a lot of wear on it. I wont to install Ross Pistons set 3.312 , what are the correct size sleeve for this Pistons? And who sells them? I found only 3.187 x 3/32 or 1/8 wall.
Any help will be welcome.
Thanks, Jorge.
Jorge.it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #2
jetmek

Default Re: Sleeve size help

You can use the 1/8 wall sleeve and bore to 125 over . that will give you .062 sleeve wall thickness. its risky tho as boring for that thick a sleeve could put you into water jacket. you have to be careful selecting sleeves that the o/d is not too large. Down load Melling's on line catalog for other options.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #3
Jorge.it

Thanks !!
Old 03-08-2016, 08:48 PM   #4
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge.it View Post
Hi from Italy,
I'm on my first flathead rebuild is a 1941 59AB sleeved at std 3.187 but whit a lot of wear on it. I wont to install Ross Pistons set 3.312 , what are the correct size sleeve for this Pistons? And who sells them? I found only 3.187 x 3/32 or 1/8 wall.
Any help will be welcome.
Thanks, Jorge.
Are the sleeves the universal cast ones or the steel tin can sleeves? If there the tin can sleeves there only .014 wall, remove the sleeves and bore another .045 and you will have 3.312
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:56 AM   #5
Jorge.it

Try to upload one pic

https://i.imgur.com/zcrjJs4.jpg
Old 03-09-2016, 03:55 AM   #6
flatheadmurre

You got a flanged sleeve in there now i assume from the pic.
Check how thick walls you got in the block before you start the project.
Just so it wasn´t a 3 1/16 block from start.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
rotorwrench

If there is a "59" on the rear bell, it may still be a 221 cubic inch displacement (CID) block but very well could be a 239 CID block. The original 1941 engine would likely have been a 221 CID if it was installed in a passenger car. Ford made the 41A 221 blocks as replacements for the pre-war blocks and they had the 59 in the rear bell. The 221 blocks have thin cylinder walls and usually don't go much over 3.187 for repair.

There is likely a reason for the sleeves in that block. Ford used the "tin can" type thin sleeves but rarely used thicker wall sleeves at manufacture unless they were repairing a manufacturing defect. If you pull the sleeves you will find out what you have for certain.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:51 AM   #8
flatheadmurre

Since it is sleeved to 3 3/16 now do a check with a flashlight into the waterjacket, if you can see the outside of the sleeve anywhere.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #9
GOSFAST

Hi Jorge, in your situation knowing what size you want in the end (3.312") I would just "reverse-engineer" the sleeve so to speak!

For instance, take the 3.312" add the desired wall thickness x 2 (e.g. .045" x 2=.090") and add it all together. 3.312"+.090"=3.400" sleeve (nominal) O.D.

If you are comfortable with less wall (left on the sleeve), for example .030" just run the numbers again!

Casting aside, I would suspect a 3.400" O.D. sleeve would get the job done? Obviously the more sleeve you can leave the better, but that's a fairly large o'bore you're after for the Ross pieces?

(Add) These are NOT recommended numbers here, merely a guideline!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. This a tough call to make on the Web not having the casting on the bench and not having done a bunch of those blocks. Also in your location not sure about getting any "custom" sleeves, but here by us it's a non-issue. The mfrs will make just about any size?
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:55 PM   #10
Jorge.it

Hi Gary, today the machine shop said me the same thing. They can make custom sleeve with about .090" wall thickness, they pull the sleeve and don't found any issue.
So go on with the project!!! The set up I have in mind for this engine is: stock 3.750 crank,8BA rod they were already install, 2X 97's stromberg, 1,5 in - 1,5 ex pro flow valve with zephyr spring, Navarro or similar head. For the camshaft I think Isky max1 work well,and I love the sound of kiwi-L100 but from what I know is a regrind cam and I don't know if that are reliable. I know that flathead valve train don't have much load but I have bad experience with flat lobe.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge.it View Post
I love the sound of kiwi-L100 but from what I know is a regrind cam and I don't know if that are reliable. I know that flathead valve train don't have much load but I have bad experience with flat lobe.
I am in no way promoting the L100 cam! But, reground cams normally start with an original Ford cam and regrind it. They are as good or better than starting with a new cam blank, so don't think you need to worry about a regrind cam.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:04 PM   #12
Jorge.it

Bad news....! I know that the crack can be fixed with pin but at this point the cylinder is bore to the sleeve interference.