Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default 59ab generator question

Been test running this 59ab in my panel but today I put a radiator in front and filled it, got belts on and dealing with drips. I am running it on a 12 volt battery and coil with resistor. With the generator now in the loop, isn't there a wire I need to run to ground so the generator doesn't get cooked. Friend is coming by soon to make a quick youtube video of what won't exactly be the first fire-up, but could be of the first driving experience. Don't wanna fry the gen because I may stick with the 6 volt system. Thanks
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
oldskool

Default Re: 59ab generator question

I run a 6v gen on 12v I just change to a 12v regulator,i would disconnect the regulator to be safe as you might fry it
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
GB SISSON

But just to take a run around the place is it ok for a while to just run with the 6v gen unwired? If I do go 12 volt it will probably be with an ugly alternator.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 05-27-2015, 06:33 PM   #4
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
But just to take a run around the place is it ok for a while to just run with the 6v gen unwired? If I do go 12 volt it will probably be with an ugly alternator.
That should work for you. All you need from the battery is enough juice to supply the coil primary.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:19 PM   #5
Bassman/NZ

Why go to an ugly alternator? Use the armature and both end plates of your 6v gennie with the field coils from a 1957 Y block Ford. I just used the whole barrel, fits fine, looks stock, charges great. No ugly alternator for me. Don't forget the 12v regulator.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #6
GB SISSON

I think we are formulating a plan here....Great info