Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
a-bone newby

Default frames

a lot of replies but no real answers so can any body explain how to straighten with a port power ect. as the last replies told me nothing so a new post. mabe someone knows of a book on straightening a slight bend to driver side on a canadian car with a left hand drive or instructions how to straighten a simple a frame hope my explanation satisfies some with university education cause I don't and don't type well thanks again for the help
a-bone newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: frames

How about some pictures of what needs to be fixed.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
Larry Seemann

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but take a look.
http://www.icehouse.net/overland/framestraight.jpg
Old 10-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Depending on how bad the problem is you bolt down the parts you don't want to move and apply pressure opposite the side you do.

Like Bob C states picture would go a long way towards us helping you.

Is the body on the car? Did you check with a collision shop?
Old 10-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
H. L. Chauvin

I think as mentioned before, the main problem of your not getting the positive very detailed responses you are requesting is that nobody can actually "see" exactly what has to be straighten; & where the frame has to be straightened.

It is possible to lift only part of the front fender and/or part of the body; however, to find out "what" & "where" to lift, one would have to "see" exactly "where" & how the frame is bent.

Again as mentioned, unless you provide one or more photos, drawings or a better written detailed description, most concerned people will not hazard a guess & offer advice that will not correct your problem or even offer a suggestion that could make matters worse.

I am guessing after reading your same questions that this is still not the answer you would like to hear, but it is just a friendly way to emphasize much of the same answers already given.

As a last resort, again as already stated, one solution is to find somebody with body straightening knowledge to look at your situation so they can "see" exactly what you have & how this task can be accomplished.

Just hope this helps to resolve your concerns.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Where do you suspect the bend is?
It would probably be a quick and easy job for a frame shop, and if you remove the front two fenders and apron in front of the radiator, it would save you some money.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
Rex_A_Lott

In a VERY simplified way...you try to determine which direction the force came from that bent it out of whack in the first place and apply force in the opposite direction. You will have to apply a little extra force, because when you remove it, you're going to get some spring-back.
Where you run into difficulty is anchoring everything down, getting the force in the right direction without it slipping. Its never as simple as up/down front/rear or left/right. You just cant learn this sort of thing reading a book or looking at a website. The people that are good at this have been doing it for years.
I agree with the others, you'd be much better off paying a professional. Most of my experience has been on dirt cars, and even though I got practice almost every week for a while, I 've only done it enough to know I'm not very good at it....at least not to where I would be happy with the results on a nice Model A.
Good Luck.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
a-bone newby

thanks the bend is in the front and pictures won't show. I didn't notice till removing the rad and noticed the rad is about 3/4 of an inch to drivers side and hood doesn't fit nicely so I will take it to a frame shop. Will let you guys and gals know what happens
Old 10-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

First question & answer period was never specific enough in detail for you, & did not appear to suit you, so you took the time to post your question a second time.

No matter how one looks at it, your positive mental attitude of never giving up is admirable, & also your comment of appreciation that you will share later how it turns out.

Depending on the month your Tudor was manufactured in 1930, it may or may not be beneficial to mention that the earlier front fenders could be welded to the running board splash shield, all in one unit, (as opposed to being separate & bolted together), & what could be found is that this one rigid unit is sitting directly on the frame welting & frame, with the body, (from the firewall to the rear), on top.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
brito36

My experience with bent frames is to take it to a body shop that has a drive on frame rack and have them straighten it. With the rack, the car (or frame) can be secured and multiple pulls can be accomplished at one time. It is not that expensive to have done.
brito36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:10 AM   #11
Dave Mellor NJ

I had a slant windshield sedan in baskets. The left front frame rail was bent slightly outward. I think this was common on As when the fender was hit the brace would tend to bend it out. Fortunately the front cross member wasn't in. I put the bent part of the frame inside of an I beam and blocked it up on the outside of the frame about 18" away from the bend in both directions. Then I put the porta power inside the frame at the bend. I pumped it out till it went slightly past straight. when I took it out it was excellent but I had some wrinkling in the top and bottom of the channel. A heavy hammer and dolly took care of that.
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #12
a-bone newby

its a early 1930 canadian model fenders bolted will let you all know as soon as the frame shop finishes and yes I appreciate all the help I get from this forum eng # cai40648 original engine #
Old 10-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #13
larrys40

I think that is the wise thing to do. As much as a do-it-yourselfer I am pretty well schooled and have the ability to do almost all of it.. there are times you just have to know when it's best for someone more schooled, and equipped to do the job. With all due respect.. if you had the equipment and could do it you probably wouldn't be asking on the forum... not trying to mean that in a negative way... but straightening a frame can be a very complex involved process.. and you only have a limited amount of shots at it. Current measuring and laser technology allows frame guru's to put them back to exactly where things need to be... much better than I even with my past experience in them. Honestly, I would do the same as you if it was anything other than a light straighten. it's worth the time,money, and final results.

Best of luck! Keep us posted. Glad your among us!
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #14
ctlikon0712

How about this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frame straightener.jpg (72.1 KB, 15 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Frame straightening.pdf (806.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: pdf Frame_spreader_photos3.pdf (201.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #15
darrylkmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-bone newby View Post
its a early 1930 canadian model fenders bolted will let you all know as soon as the frame shop finishes and yes I appreciate all the help I get from this forum eng # cai40648 original engine #
a-bone

cai40648 does not appear to be a regular production Canadian Engine Number.

CA numbers ran 1 through 150,120 however CAI, were 1 through 10,000.

After the initial CA numbers, Ford of Canada started using the CAQ, CAW, CAE, etc., using the letters of the top row on the keyboard, from left to right. Once the Three Letter designation began, production was limited to 10,000 units before moving onto the next letter.

See attached chart.

Darryl in Fairbanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canadian Engine Production CAE Page 001.jpg (26.8 KB, 8 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Canadian Engine Production CAE.pdf (32.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by darrylkmc; 10-20-2014 at 02:16 PM.
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote