Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
TinCan

Default '26-27 lower rear panel

I have bought a new lower rear panel for my '27 Coupe, from Howell's. It is about a 1/2 wider then the cross braces. has anyone run into this? What was your remedy. If I return it, will the next one be the same?

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2070024 (Small).JPG (29.3 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by TinCan; 02-08-2015 at 07:54 AM.
TinCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #2
zzlegend

Default Re: '26-27 lower rear panel

Pat, this seems to be an on going problem with Howells. I would call them with the measurements taken off that piece they sent and see if they could make one the proper length. I ordered a lower piece for my 27 roadster as you did and luckily it fit with a small amount of work. But then I ordered a deck lid and whewwwwww, it overlapped the top edge by a half inch and the bottom gap when closed, looked like a smile face. I ended up using a seam tool and opened up all the seems and reshaped it to make it fit. Spent a few hours to make it right. The problem I have is that I think they are the only ones around making sheet metal parts for 26-27's. Just wish they would make them a little closer to fit. Good luck with it. Mark.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
t42

Pat,
Mine was from Howell's also for my '26 coupe. It should be 35-1/8" across the top and bottom, 13" high, and curved to fit the side rails of the rain gutter. Very good fit, but getting it in required spreading the side panels. I left a message on your other site.
Good luck, and not a fun job.
t42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:05 AM   #4
TinCan

Thanks guy's,
I think I figured out what's wrong. The guy that I bought it from, changed the cross brace, and it is now only 34 5/8" wide, making the opening only 34 3/8". which is why the trunk lid didn't fit right. It is also 34 3/8" wide. He had done a few things like this to the car, that I have been fixing, I should have guessed he did this also.

Thanks, Pat
Old 02-09-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
TinCan

t42, I grew up in WBL & Maplwood mall area. I moved to mountians of east TN 6 yrs ago. (60 miles north west of Knoxville) I sure do miss all the T (any car) parts up there, next to none where I'm at. I don't miss the snow and cold, but never complained about it the whole time I lived there.

Pat
Old 02-09-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
t42

Pat, The body on my '26 Coupe was rust free and really in good shape. The previous owner backed the "T" into the garage and hit the wall hard enough to bend in the tire bracket and lower panel with the sub bracing. Howell's really provided some excellent fitting materials. The only item they did not have was the inside tire support, but found a good original on the internet. Always great to work with fellow MNtans. Good luck with your project.
t42 is offline   Reply With Quote