Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
howdydowdy

Default old ford rear axles, housings

I was told how to get to the older Bill B site ( 32-53) UNDER FUEL SYSTEMS, ON DOWN TO ID OLD FORD REAR ENDS BUT I GUESS THAT HAS CHANGED?
I AM LOOKING FOR A CHART THAT WILL SHOW FROM MODEL A THRU 1948 THE WIDTHS OF EACH REAR AXLE BANJO ASSEMBLY/ THE PINION SPLINE COUNT OF EACH YEAR AS WELL AS THE AXLE DIFFERENCES WITH TOOTH COUNT AND LENGTH OF SAME FOR EACH YEAR. FOR EXAMPLE; IS THERE AN EARLY 32 REAR AXLE AS WELL AS A LATE AND WHAT IS THE DIFF?

ALSO IS A 36 REAR AXLE ASSEMBLY THE SAME AS A 40 AND WILL THE AXLES INTERCHANGE? ARE THEY THE SAME WIDTH?
A CHART THAT I CAN GO TO, PRINT FOR REFERENCE AND HANG ON THE WALL .
PLEASE DIRECT ME TO THE CORRECT INFO/ SOURCE THAT I CAN PRINT OFF ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED....... DOUG
howdydowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
Henry/Kokomo

Default Re: old ford rear axles, housings

If you have a "Green Bible", it has the answers you need for '28 to '48. Although there may well be a chart such as you describe (I'd like to have one), I've never seen one. Hope this helps.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
PeteVS

Howdy: Check your Private Messages for some info I'll email to you. And, yes- there were two '32 rears. The early was very similar to a Model A rear. The spotting feature is the round flange where the torque tube bolts to the differential housing. The later design has the scalloped flange, same as used up 'til '48. (Henry- PM me with your email address and I'll send you a copy too.)
Old 05-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
fordcragar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
there were two '32 rears. The early was very similar to a Model A rear. The spotting feature is the round flange where the torque tube bolts to the differential housing. The later design has the scalloped flange, same as used up 'til '48. ..........
I have what I think is a 1932 rear end, based on the above statement. Does it have the same gear set and axles as the later rear ends?

Here is the 1932 rear end?
Ford 1932 Rear.jpg

Model A
Model A.jpg

1940 rear end
Ford 1940 Rear.jpg

Are there any on-line guides to identifying these rear ends?
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:59 AM   #5
jimTN

32-4 center housings are not as wide as 35-48 center housings. Axles out of 35 to 40 and maybe 41 will interchange. 46-48 definately has longer axles. You can tell a 32 rear end, eary or late by the radius rod brackets, they are at a right angle with the housings. 33-4 radius rod brackets are at a diagnal with the housings.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
fordcragar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
32-4 center housings are not as wide as 35-48 center housings. Axles out of 35 to 40 and maybe 41 will interchange. 46-48 definately has longer axles. You can tell a 32 rear end, eary or late by the radius rod brackets, they are at a right angle with the housings. 33-4 radius rod brackets are at a diagnal with the housings.
Here are a couple of pictures:
P1010078.jpg

P1010079.jpg

P1010081.jpg

Based on the pictures, this must be a 33-4 housing. Most of my stuff (housings in other cars) are 1940. So what should I keep from this rear end for my other cars?
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
Andy

Really not much there for a 40. It is desirable as is. It might be the rare late 32. Sell it.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote