Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
40cpe

Default tire/wheel fit on a '55

I have a WWW problem on my new-to-me '55 Ford. The last owner put 255/60R15s on 8" rims on it. They did a masterful job of measuring for the installation as the tire has about 3/4" clearance on the outside fender and just misses the spring on the back side. You can imagine how and when it scrubs. I'm OK with replacing them with 205 or 215 tires, but really would rather not buy/paint new wheels. Any educated guesses on if the 8" wheels would pass under the wheel well? I found that 7.5" is the most recommended for the tire, but I think the 8" would be safe. OH yeah, that's not my shop in the picture. Mine isn't that clean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '55reartires.jpg (67.0 KB, 38 views)
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
miker98038

Default Re: tire/wheel fit on a '55

I'm running 255/60 15's on 7" rims, 4" backspace on my 55 bird. They're really tight, but they don't rub. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't make it with 8" rims, even if I could get more backspace. I'd be concerned about 205's or 215's on rims that wide, both for clearance, drivability, and looks. Particularly with wide whites, they may not look right spread that far.

I realize you've got a full size car, but you're rubbing already.

How they work like that, I'd have to leave to someone who's tried it. I just don't like mounting tires outside, either way, of the recommended spec.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:15 PM   #3
Lanny

I see you have two different tires on the rear, and it looks
like the right tire is wider than the left, what's the story

What I GOT DONE TODAY...
I put my rear-end in the recliner, and
now I'm going to rest up & watch TV
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:39 PM   #4
40cpe

You got me there. This picture was sent by the seller before I bought it. Both rear tires are like the one on the right side. The left tire looks like the one in the trunk for a spare.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
Lanny

----------Oh

What I GOT DONE TODAY...
I put my rear-end in the recliner, and
now I'm going to rest up & watch TV

Last edited by Lanny; 04-25-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:25 PM   #6
dmsfrr

If the rubber bushings in the leaf springs and shackles are worn out they could be allowing more side-to-side movement of the rear axle than normal.
Yes that's a lot of tire and wheel in a spot they weren't designed for, but if the bushings are old replacing them is a good idea anyway. Maybe some HD urethane shackle bushings are available, they might be even better.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-20-2017 at 10:41 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:23 AM   #7
Daves55Sedan

I selected P215-75R15 tires for the rear based upon a comparison of readily available modern tires that would closely match the outside diameter of the OEM 710x15's so that there would not be a large disparity in the speedometer reading, AND that the tire would actually fit the width of the wheelwell without rubbing against anything. The mfrs suggested rim width for these is 5.5"-7". You can buy them with wide whitewalls if you want to pay extra $$$. They are difficult to get in the rear, and the jack needs to go all the way up to do it. Very dangerous. Don't try changing rear tires on the side of the road with these.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:39 AM   #8
dmsfrr

Did the previous owner tell you the wheel width or did you check them yourself?
An '8 inch' wheel will have an actual overall width of approx 9 inches.

In the photo I'm seeing spacer blocks between the springs and axle. They lower the car by raising the axle closer to the body. I'm surprised the rear tires will fit between the fender and brake drum enough to change them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
..... They are difficult to get in the rear, and the jack needs to go all the way up to do it. Very dangerous. Don't try changing rear tires on the side of the road with these.
If the car came with a stock bumper jack leave it in the trunk as a decoration and never use it to lift the car. Find a good used bottle or scissor jack from a newer large car or mid-size truck to use when on the road.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-20-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
40cpe

He told me they are 8" wheels. I questioned him about changing the tires and he said they went on using the lift. I didn't go into whether they deflated them or not because I was intending to change them to a smaller size anyway.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:24 PM   #10
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
..... I was intending to change them to a smaller size anyway.
Since you were already considering the 215-75R15 tires, go with those on a 6 or maybe 6.5 inch wide wheel. The wheels you have are too wide for that size tire.
Without a good photo of the wheels & tires it's hard to tell but there might be a good chance you can sell them as a complete set, to help offset the cost of their replacement.
If you really need to keep & re-use the wheels a good tire shop should be able to help you find something a bit narrower that isn't stretched out too far to fit the wheel.
Do you want wide white wall tires? They aren't very available unless your wallet is fat.

Keep your eyes open around swap meets and flea markets, parts store bulletin boards, even craigslist. Someone selling their stock wheels and tires after 'upgrading' their car, or looking to swap with you, might be just what you need.
But don't get used tires over a couple years old.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-20-2017 at 01:57 PM.