Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2015, 08:46 PM   #1
700rpm

Default A timing issue

My otherwise stock A engine, standard bore, not counter-weighted, has a B cam in it. I discovered today that even though I have timed the engine according to FSB p.346 instructions, the car actually runs cooler and stronger if my spark is at 10 o'clock instead of two notches off the bottom, or about 7 o'clock, where my other 2 A's run best. So I am wondering if the B cam requires a different timing setting that a stock cam. The timing cover is also A stock.

I have been experiencing overheating and what I believe is a spark knock. Today running with the spark lever at 10 o'clock the knock was gone and as I said, the engine ran cooler, 165-175 on the cylinder walls, 140-148 on the head.

So my questions: does the B cam require a different setting for timing, given my otherwise stock engine?

And: which way do I turn the distributor cam to get 10 o'clock performance at 7 o'clock?

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:56 PM   #2
mrtexas

Default Re: A timing issue

Put the car at tdc for #1. Make a mark on crank pulley and timing cover. Take out plugs. Turn engine over with crank until #1 sparks. Look to see if the marks line up. Now you can be sure your timing is correct.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #3
Synchro909

You're going to get conflicting advice on this one but IMHO, yes, using the B cam, you should time it like a B engine. The pin that goes into the timing gear to give you your timing position is in a different position on the B timing cover and all the literature says that the A runs best at a max 28 deg advance while the B needs less. That's why you are running too advanced with your lever at 7 O'clock. You need to retard the timing a little. I set mine as you did and GRADUALLY sneaked the timing back a little at a time till I couldn't make it ping. Runs beautifully now. Trial and error got me there eventually and I marked the crank shaft pulley so I can find it again.
This is where you will get differing opinions but I think you should move the cam on the distributor shaft clockwise to retard it. Little by little does it.
I'll be going through the same exercise again soon when I assemble an engine I am building with B cam timing and electronic ignition designed for an A engine. I'll have to set it a little retarded at an idle to be right at touring speeds.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:37 AM   #4
700rpm

Synchro, I'll give that trial and error method a go. I don't have a B cover, so it's by guess and by golly.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:32 AM   #5
James Rogers

Along with what Vince said, what head do you have on the engine? A high compression head will be much more sensitive to timing than a stock head. Not enough info to make a determination.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:29 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

James brought up a good point about needing less timing advance with the higher compression head.

It's the B distributor that is timed with more advance to set the timing. The B camshaft won't change your timing. As Synchro909 said, you move the distributor cam clockwise to retard the timing. 10 degrees at the distributor is 20 degrees at the crankshaft.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:32 AM   #7
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
My otherwise stock A engine, standard bore, not counter-weighted, has a B cam in it. I discovered today that even though I have timed the engine according to FSB p.346 instructions, the car actually runs cooler and stronger if my spark is at 10 o'clock instead of two notches off the bottom, or about 7 o'clock, where my other 2 A's run best. So I am wondering if the B cam requires a different timing setting that a stock cam. The timing cover is also A stock.

I have been experiencing overheating and what I believe is a spark knock. Today running with the spark lever at 10 o'clock the knock was gone and as I said, the engine ran cooler, 165-175 on the cylinder walls, 140-148 on the head.

So my questions: does the B cam require a different setting for timing, given my otherwise stock engine?

And: which way do I turn the distributor cam to get 10 o'clock performance at 7 o'clock?
What octane gasoline are you running? Higher octane keeps pinging away?
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:22 AM   #8
1931 flamingo

As I read this I had the same thoughts as forever4. Do a search as this question has been asked multiple times.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
What B cam are you referring to? The distributor cam, or the engine camshaft?
Both cams are B. As I said, all other aspects of the engine are stock, including the head.

I tried a search, but the search options are pretty limited, and a complete question is impossible.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #10
CarlG

Vince, Marco, Purdy and others have had great discussions on timing. Just search for these here on the Barn.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #11
700rpm

I appreciate the suggestions for a search, guys, and I always try that first. I guess I just don't know how to pose the question in the search function, because I can't get an answer there.

Last edited by 700rpm; 10-24-2015 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #12
d.j. moordigian

Well,..I've followed this post from Ray's first post,..here are some things to think about.

First off,..the timing gears for the crank / cam are the same for both A's and B's..

The distributor cams(A or B) are both timed the same in a A distributor,..they have
used them for years, interchangeably..

I learned about 50 plus years ago about the "back-lash" with the distributor shafts,
gears and the timing gears too get the timing CORRECT.. Turn the engine in a clock-
wise rotation, DON'T BACK IT UP, and take the back-lash out of the shafts..

So the timing issue,..could be the way your doing it..

Dudley
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote